Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys !

Drove off to work as usual this morning in my Mk3 1995 LS400 and 50 yds from my house there is a speed bump, went over it at 10mph (tops) and very loud crack ! Stopped and saw the remnants of a coil from I guess what would be the o/s spring as that side looks slammed ! Pretty good when I was a Max Power kind of guy but reaching 40 means that I have grown out of all of that !!! :winky: I guess there was warning signs as there was a strange metallic sound each time I went over bumps and uneven roads previously. :blush:

My Question's are - I know the springs will need replacing as spares but do I/should I replace the shocks as well ? Is it safe enough to drive it to the nearest garage or will I need recovery ? What kind of costs would I be looking at ? (Sods law - totally broke this month !) :tsktsk:

Anybody know where I can get a pair of springs reasonably from ?

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problem,I live on a small estate where they decided to fit speed bumps so I cringe every time I go out and return!

OEM Lexus/Toyota Springs (48131-50070) are around the £100.00 mark each but PM ACLex our resident Lexus Dealer who should offer a discount as you are a Gold member,I found KYB springs for £82.94 + VAT and some on eBay (not sure on quality)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-COIL-SPRING-LEXUS-LS400-97-00-/390220209401?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adaefdcf9#ht_2615wt_988.

Another alternative is the 2nd hand route,Benfur a club member breaks LS400s for spares and normally has these parts available in good condition at reasonable prices.

Removal of the strut is fairly straightfoward if everything comes apart,an independent garage should be fine with the job and take no more than 4 hours for both sides.

It's normally recommended to replace both sides at the same time.

If you can avoid driving the car I would (RAC/AA membership?) As the suspension has visibly dropped driving could result in more damage,it has been known for the broken coil to cut into the tyre or cause damage to brake hoses and sensors.

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problem,I live on a small estate where they decided to fit speed bumps so I cringe every time I go out and return!

OEM Lexus/Toyota Springs (48131-50070) are around the £100.00 mark each but PM ACLex our resident Lexus Dealer who should offer a discount as you are a Gold member,I found KYB springs for £82.94 + VAT and some on ebay (not sure on quality)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FRONT-COIL-SPRING-LEXUS-LS400-97-00-/390220209401?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5adaefdcf9#ht_2615wt_988.

Another alternative is the 2nd hand route,Benfur a club member breaks LS400s for spares and normally has these parts available in good condition at reasonable prices.

Removal of the strut is fairly straightfoward if everything comes apart,an independent garage should be fine with the job and take no more than 4 hours for both sides.

It's normally recommended to replace both sides at the same time.

If you can avoid driving the car I would (RAC/AA membership?) As the suspension has visibly dropped driving could result in more damage,it has been known for the broken coil to cut into the tyre or cause damage to brake hoses and sensors.

Thanks for those wise words Steve, I live in North Manchester and they (speed bumps) have popped up everywhere !!! :tsktsk:

I have contacted my mechanic who has advised the same as what you have recommended about driving etc. but I'm sure I have one of those stupid policies which doesn't cover recovery as I'm parked outside my own house !!! :angry:

Can you tell me where you found those KYB springs (any good ?) I'm at work at the moment and can't access fleabay :shutit:

I have also been told to check the lower ball joints by a chap at Japarts as he reckons Lexus springs just don't break ?

Keep coming back to this forum as it's so helpful unlike the other ones I am a member of (BMW)

Thanks again

There are local to me but do mail order also

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/kyb-coil-springs-make.php

I don't unserstand the theory from the Japparts guy,the lower balljoints do go ( replaced mine for the MOT last year) but springs DO break and it's becoming more and more common with the road humps,potholes and general cr@p condition of the roads.

There are local to me but do mail order also

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/kyb-coil-springs-make.php

I don't unserstand the theory from the Japparts guy,the lower balljoints do go ( replaced mine for the MOT last year) but springs DO break and it's becoming more and more common with the road humps,potholes and general cr@p condition of the roads.

Interesting - I take it that's for x1 and I will need to order x2 ? There is only one type listed for Fr(ont) but 2 types listed for R(ea)r ?

I'll probably order these but will wait for those two you mentioned earlier to get back to me first ...

I'm trying to think of a way to get the car towed to my mechanic (who's recently sold his tow truck - doh !) and let him decide whether or not I need new ball joints but in fairness I have been hearing a creaking/knocking sound over bumps in the road before the spring snapped ?

Thanks for the suggestions and advice - much appreciated - it's what I joined these forums for !!!

I'd do the shocks as well, at that age your existing shocks will be sub-par. I replaced the shocks on my last car, at 250,000 miles and 14 years the nearside had very little air compared to the offside (more potholes/grids).

FWIW I've broken 2 springs (1 front, 1 rear); neither are particularly painful so long as you have the right spanners - and spring compressors are vital. A rear spring involves taking the back seat squab out & undoing chunks of the interior - not too hard, luckily. A front will involve dismantling the lower ball joint - again, not too painful (although I really had to swear & curse at mine), try not to split the rubber gaiter like I did, or ruin your castle nut (ahem).

I re-used my dampers, because they seemed fine.

Those are for the 97-00 model, I believe they are a different spring rate but I think they will fit.

Andy

Sorry to hijack this for a moment guys but:

ACLex can u contact me please about your LS400 .. left a message on your profile page, don't know how to contact you otherwise.

Malc

Sorry to hijack this for a moment guys but:

ACLex can u contact me please about your LS400 .. left a message on your profile page, don't know how to contact you otherwise.

Malc

Email sent :)

Andy

Just an update -

Special thanks to Steve2006 as have ordered those KYB springs - rang them up and they were actually a tenner cheaper each so result ! Just waiting for them to turn up now.

Thanks to ACLex and Benfur for getting back to me too ...

I managed to get the car transported on the back of a tow truck as it was covered by a £65 maximum at home service and the 12 mile trip cost £59 !!! A plug for Auto Aid (part of Autonational)as for only £38 a year you get rescue and recovery and at home for you and a partner in any car !!! (NB You pay claim first and then claim it back). Only issue was he drove it up the low loader and reversed it off again - hope it's not damaged further !

Have read the thread about the ball joints being a weak point so have ordered these at £50 a pair (which is too reasonable ?) and have asked the garage to check if they need them otherwise hang on to them when I need them.

Was tempted to get a new pair of shockers too but pocket rules head and have decided to use the old ones if I can - although they are 16 years old the car has only done 65k from new (I know it doesn't quite work like that as age is another contributing factor to parts failure).

Hopefully all parts arrive tomorrow and garage can get it back on the road again (at a reasonable cost) next week as I'm off all next week ... :winky:

FWIW I've broken 2 springs (1 front, 1 rear); neither are particularly painful so long as you have the right spanners - and spring compressors are vital. A rear spring involves taking the back seat squab out & undoing chunks of the interior - not too hard, luckily. A front will involve dismantling the lower ball joint - again, not too painful (although I really had to swear & curse at mine), try not to split the rubber gaiter like I did, or ruin your castle nut (ahem).

I re-used my dampers, because they seemed fine.

Thanks Adev but if you're mechanically incompetent like me (broke 2 wheel studs just putting wheel back on !) then it's cheaper (as will have to pay the garage again later to fix my fudged attempt)and safer (Springs can be lethal if you don't know what you're doing) and if you damaged some items doing it - think of the destruction I would cause !!! :blush:

Ok everything fixed now - 3 hours labour @ £45ph - not bad. I didn't need the ball joints in the end (anybody need a set for £50 pm me ?) in the end as they were fine as well as the shockers and got car back - so glad as have to drive around in Mrs BM 5 series (new shape) which is no way as good :winky: