Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have read a lot on the forum regarding the is220d, a lot of which seems a little negative.

I thought I would add my comments following almost a month of driving.

My first impressions were what an amazing looking car.

I still look back after parking with a satisfied smile.

I have the Se with beige leather and I personally think this compliments that luxury look to the interior.

The heated seats work well and if you are wearing shorts on a hot day the seat coolers work reasonably well to.

The 13 speaker stereo system is amoungst the best I have ever heard in a car and by far the best factory fitted system.

All the normal toys are there you expect in this range of car like climate control, electric windows, cruise control, electric seats and reverse parking sensors.

Everything is nicely placed and works well.

The seats are particularly comfortable with so many adjustment options to suit most people.

The doors close with the tiniest amount of effort which gives that feel of build quality each time you shut them.

The boot is big enough to get my large pram and a small suitcase in so no problems there.

Initially, the drive was my one stumbling point.

I also have a BMW 320d and it drives with a very sporty feel and is extremely responsive.

When I first drove the Lexus I thought it felt a bit sluggish.

now that I have been driving it a few weeks I have adjusted to it's style of performance.

Unlike the BMW it's a much smoother through the gears, yes the gears can feel a bit clunky but the transition between gears is smooth and easy to control.

The torque in the gears comes in strong around 2000-2500 rpm and is more than sufficient for over taking.

Whilst driving the Lexus I feel more relaxed than I ever could in the BMW.

MPG wise, I do a mixed bag of town driving and A roads and have achieved an average of around 42 which is more than acceptable and I am driving this Normaly, not foot to the floor but not like an old Grampa either.

The only annoyance I have had is a small rattle from the centre of the dash which I now know to be a clip that needs replacing.

I have pushed a small piece of foam down behind the dash and this rattle has gone completely.

My overall experience thus far is one of satisfaction.

I genuinely look forward to driving it as it wafts me along in comfort to my next destination.

Most cars have some niggles but I'm yet to find Any that bother me with the Lexus IS so far.

Carl

Edited by Carl911

Thank goodness for someone who feels the same as me. I've had a few niggles, but, all sorted, and, I love my 220D to bits.

Col

I have read a lot on the forum regarding the is220d, a lot of which seems a little negative.

I have the Se with beige leather and I personally think this compliments that luxury look to the interior.

The heated seats work well and if you are wearing shorts on a hot day the seat coolers work reasonably well to.

The 13 speaker stereo system is amoungst the best I have ever heard in a car and by far the best factory fitted system.

All the normal toys are there you expect in this range of car like climate control, electric windows, cruise control, electric seats and reverse parking sensors.

The seats are particularly comfortable with so many adjustment options to suit most people.

The doors close with the tiniest amount of effort which gives that feel of build quality each time you shut them.

The boot is big enough to get my large pram and a small suitcase in so no problems there.

I also have a BMW 320d and it drives with a very sporty feel and is extremely responsive.

now that I have been driving it a few weeks I have adjusted to it's style of performance.

Unlike the BMW it's a much smoother through the gears, yes the gears can feel a bit clunky but the transision between gears is smooth and easy to control.

The torque in the gears comes in strong around 2000-2500 rpm and is more than sufficient for over taking.

MPG wise, I do a mixed bag of town driving and A roads and have achieved an average of around 42 which is more than acceptable and I am driving this Normaly, not foot to the floor but not like an old Gramp Pa either.

The only annoyance I have had is a small rattle from the centre of the dash which I now know to be a clip that needs replacing.

I have pushed a small piece of foam down behind the dash and this rattle has gone completely.

I genuinely look forward to driving it as it wafts me along in comfort to my destination.

Most cars have some niggles but I'm yet to find Amy that bother me with the Lexus IS so far.

Carl

I'm glad to hear from another happy lexus owner.

When I bought my BMW I later found out that the turbos can fail and the swirl flaps can be ingested into the engine causing complete engine failure.

I was so concerned I stripped the inlet down and checked it all out.

It seems what ever car you buy these days they all seem to have some weakness in one form or another.

I personally never experienced Any of the reported problems.

In short you can probably put yourself off buying a car ever again but I am a firm believer that good maintenance is the key to reliability.

Thank goodness for someone who feels the same as me. I've had a few niggles, but, all sorted, and, I love my 220D to bits.

Col

Unlike the BMW it's a much smoother through the gears, yes the gears can feel a bit clunky but the transision between gears is smooth and easy to control.

MPG wise, I do a mixed bag of town driving and A roads and have achieved an average of around 42 which is more than acceptable and I am driving this Normaly, not foot to the floor but not like an old Gramp Pa either.

I genuinely look forward to driving it as it wafts me along in comfort to my destination.

Most cars have some niggles but I'm yet to find Amy that bother me with the Lexus IS so far.

Carl

All makes and models have niggles, it's how these are sorted out by the dealerships. My experience has not been one of satisfaction as purported in the press. I and many others here just get lied to about there not being a problem with the gearchange/DMFs. Apparently, according to Lexus it is normal for the clutch to be jerky, not dis-engage, judder and the gears to crunch. It's a shame because it's a lovely car being spoiled by these problems. Things like the ergonomic deficiencies (position of cruise control stalk etc) can be overlooked, but major mechanicals, no.

All makes and models have niggles, it's how these are sorted out by the dealerships. My experience has not been one of satisfaction as purported in the press. I and many others here just get lied to about there not being a problem with the gearchange/DMFs. Apparently, according to Lexus it is normal for the clutch to be jerky, not dis-engage, judder and the gears to crunch. It's a shame because it's a lovely car being spoiled by these problems. Things like the ergonomic deficiencies (position of cruise control stalk etc) can be overlooked, but major mechanicals, no.

I agree this is not right that manufacturers try to deny problems.

It seems unless the problems could directly cause loss of life they will try to avoid putting them right.

To be honest Lexus are no worse than any other manufacturer.

I had just as many problems with BMW & Vauxhall over the years.

Seems to be a sign of the times.

I'm not saying it's acceptable but just that Lexus is not alone.

Personally I have none of the problems that you have endured so I have been fortunate so far.

Carl

yeah, finally.

that is the reason, why I come to this forum rarely - people just whinge all the time. :angry:

They do not test the car before buying and complain about things, which are their fault at first place. Second group are people buying cheap secon-hand cars and then complain that it consumps 2 litres more than their previous clio.. :duh:

I agree with Matus re' the whinging on this forum about the 220D in particular. I used to enjoy the IS200 forum immensely, and made a lot of good friendly, positive contacts on there. Here, like Matus, I tend to just visit when I see something of interest (positive). Carl is also correct when he says that Lexus are not the only ones with problems. I have heard horrendous stories about mercs and beamers. It all boils down to personal preference, and, I prefer Lexus over all other prestige badges. All Toyotas and Lexus I have ever owned have had wee problems, which have always been dealt with by the dealer/franchise more than satisfactorily. It's no secret that when manufacturers have target dates for model launches, they stick to that date rigidly, unless there is a "show stopper" which prevents the launch. So what you get is a compromise where the manufacture releases the new model with some imperfections that can be dealt with later. (after you buy)... That's what warrranty and recalls are for. So for me, I just accept that any car I buy may not be perfect, but unless totally pee'd off with the manufacturer, I stick to the brand I know. Said it before... "stop whinging", and stick together with positive questions and solutions from those that know here on the forum. (I'm off the soap box now!!! pheeeeew)....

Col <[;o)

yeah, finally.

that is the reason, why I come to this forum rarely - people just whinge all the time. :angry:

They do not test the car before buying and complain about things, which are their fault at first place. Second group are people buying cheap secon-hand cars and then complain that it consumps 2 litres more than their previous clio.. :duh:

Hi all,

I'm a new member of this forum and I bought my 220D about 1 month ago from Lexus (it's a approved by Lexy).

I loved it for last 4 years and finally I got one - black 220D with sweet, sweet inside and only 22K miles :)

I love it! I enjoy the inside and outside of the car so much that I now call it "Jennifer" :D

It's my first diesel but the engine is really quite and literally soundless on the motorways - my uncle that is a car mechanic for 20 years and prefers diesels was astonished that it's actually a diesel after hearing it from the inside.

He said that he would never notice that it's a diesel if I wouldn't tell him about it.

I noticed that 8 seconds to 100kmph is more than enough for me and the turbo satisfies my "need for speed" when driving slow.

Seats? I was comparing it to BMW 3 and 220D hugs you when in BMW you feel like sitting on a chair with flat surface (still comfy but Lexy feels much better).

Space inside? I'm a single person and I don't need a lot of space for passages and in the boot. I heard that some cars have more space but.. I don't need more. 220d has more than enough.

Comparing it to BMW, Lexus has a bit less leg space for the driver but I have only two legs and no plans of growing the third one :)

There's an advantage of it as well.. again Lexus feels more comfortable - not to big not to small.

Lexus handles really well and I heard some people saying that BMW handles better..

I'm not sure why they think so, but again I'm not a race driver and probably that's why I can't feel the difference.

I really like that camera when backing up, I like heater/aircon seats, I like that 13 speakers sound system, I like the keyless entry aaaand pretty much everything.

I think thatLexus 220D blows BMW 3 series out when it comes to gadgets and inside/outside style.

I know that gearbox wise I need to get used to the 220D and I know that my other car's gearbox was rubbish and I guess I got used to it too much.

I accept a bit clunckness of the gearbox, but can you advise on one thing please?

One thing bothers me, when I starting from gear 1st and trying to put gear 2nd in, I need to wait for about 1 second before gear 2nd will be accepted by the gearbox while gently pushing it in.

Is that normal or should I go for an advice to Lexus? I don't have these problems with other gears and don't have these problems at all when the car is standing still.

I'm trying to adjust and try different things so I'm trying to change gear on different revs (I heard that this car likes higher revs but I guess I don't know what that means).

Below 2K it feels better but the car runs slow, between 2-2,5K it feels good but sometimes it's hard to put 2nd gear in. On high revs, above 2,5-3K sometimes it feels normal, but not often again it's hard to put 2nd gear in.

I find myself not having most of these problems when I'm not thinking about it but again I would like to advise you if this problem is something normal and I still need to adjust my driving style or I need to visit Lexus.

On the other hand when I jumped in to BMW 3, I just drove away.. without any problems so I'm not a rubbish driver.

I would love to see 220D with automatic option.. I got used to driving automatics in US a bit :/

Still I got Lexus ..I mean Jennifer :)))

Any advise on that would be great!

Agree with most of the posts in the this thread - had my 220d from new for just over 7 months now and, so far, no complaints. Even with only around 3800 miles on the clock, it's still managing 41mpg average between fillups unless I decide to go heavy on the right foot ;-)

(I still don't quiet get the retro 80s clock on the centre console though - seems so out of place IMO).

It's a lot more reassuring to see positive notes come out from positive owners.

This forum was renowned for its ownership of community based affiliation that brought Lexus owners together and give everyone the chance to help and advise one another where sometimes dealerships can slack. On top of that, it is imperative that this positive attitude continues, at the end of the day all opinions account whether their good or bad, but believe me, I would rather come here and read posts than be put off by negativity that concerns me about my own vehicle.

Its great that everyone gets along. I love the help that's provided here and I think those who commit to providing tutorials with pictures are exceptionally appreciated. When you can't pester a mechanic to let you in to the workshop to pick up tips, you can rely on LOC to give you a digital experience.

Personally, I don't think I would accuse people of 'Whingeing' all the time. It is probably an inevitable consequence of any forum whereby people only start to get in touch when they have had a problem and are looking for help and advice born of experience of others. I know from what I've overheard that "Lexus" views this forum as a 'moan' site only. That is a great shame because in truth they could(and probably do in stealth...but won't admit it)learn a great deal about customer opinions and experiences here. It would be nice to think they keep an eye on which garages are not up to standard.

I find it interesting to read other folks posts. At the very least, it expands 'one's' knowledge base. I remember all too well coming here way back, when my is200stereo needed to be removed to put a replacement in. There was a great acoount of how to do it and I got it wrapped in under an hour. Brilliant!!

I guess I would have been classed a 'whinger' at first. I had taken my 220D in for a minor service(6 stamps in book all at Lexus) to be told my Head Gasket was buggered and so too probably, the head itself and by the way you're looking at £4-5,000 on the bill. Yes I was whingeing like mad - - - - who wouldn't be? Armed with what I read here I was able to confront the teccies and Lexus eventually backtracked and covered the lot. Incidentally Lexus have now extended the warranty to 110,000 miles or 7 years. Wonder how far I would have got without any of that knowledge?

Whingeing? OK maybe a bit, but it's generally because of a problem encountered. Blimey we can all find something to whinge at, cafe tea anyone?

If all we had here were plaudits it would be a very boring place, and likely lead everyone into thinking the whole place was a set up.

It's not what you say... but.. how you say it! There's an old saying.. "If you can't say anything good, then just don't say it!". Or in Scotland " Haud yer wheesht!!).

Col..

Personally, I don't think I would accuse people of 'Whingeing' all the time. It is probably an inevitable consequence of any forum whereby people only start to get in touch when they have had a problem and are looking for help and advice born of experience of others. I know from what I've overheard that "Lexus" views this forum as a 'moan' site only. That is a great shame because in truth they could(and probably do in stealth...but won't admit it)learn a great deal about customer opinions and experiences here. It would be nice to think they keep an eye on which garages are not up to standard.

I find it interesting to read other folks posts. At the very least, it expands 'one's' knowledge base. I remember all too well coming here way back, when my is200stereo needed to be removed to put a replacement in. There was a great acoount of how to do it and I got it wrapped in under an hour. Brilliant!!

I guess I would have been classed a 'whinger' at first. I had taken my 220D in for a minor service(6 stamps in book all at Lexus) to be told my Head Gasket was buggered and so too probably, the head itself and by the way you're looking at £4-5,000 on the bill. Yes I was whingeing like mad - - - - who wouldn't be? Armed with what I read here I was able to confront the teccies and Lexus eventually backtracked and covered the lot. Incidentally Lexus have now extended the warranty to 110,000 miles or 7 years. Wonder how far I would have got without any of that knowledge?

Whingeing? OK maybe a bit, but it's generally because of a problem encountered. Blimey we can all find something to whinge at, cafe tea anyone?

If all we had here were plaudits it would be a very boring place, and likely lead everyone into thinking the whole place was a set up.

But that's just the way it is. People (myself included) often only turn to internet forums when they have a problem. Therefore, such forums tend to revolve only around the negatives.

C'est la vie.

I wouldn't say theres much evidence of whinge and whine, but as Col stated it comes down to how things are being said and expressed rather than what is being said. That in particular instantiates people's retaliation (so to speak) and the way that is portrayed by the community.

Everyone has a way of expressing their opinions but we mustn't forget that digitalized communication carries no sense of emotion other than what is perceived by the read and how they interpret what is being said.

And it goes without saying, this forum does attach a lot of problems, that's what makes this forum a great place to start because there are no doubt many individuals capable of helping and advising. But as stated, it's how we interpret those messages that inevitable lead us to determine their fate as whinge or whine posts.

Regardless, I disagree with any whining. I think everyone in ther own wit and respect have contributed a lot with their issues and the feedback and help that is delivered as a response is unimaginably appreciated without doubt.

Good reply and very well put..

Col <[:o)

I wouldn't say theres much evidence of whinge and whine, but as Col stated it comes down to how things are being said and expressed rather than what is being said. That in particular instantiates people's retaliation (so to speak) and the way that is portrayed by the community.

Everyone has a way of expressing their opinions but we mustn't forget that digitalized communication carries no sense of emotion other than what is perceived by the read and how they interpret what is being said.

And it goes without saying, this forum does attach a lot of problems, that's what makes this forum a great place to start because there are no doubt many individuals capable of helping and advising. But as stated, it's how we interpret those messages that inevitable lead us to determine their fate as whinge or whine posts.

Regardless, I disagree with any whining. I think everyone in ther own wit and respect have contributed a lot with their issues and the feedback and help that is delivered as a response is unimaginably appreciated without doubt.

guys, when I said "whingeing" I did not mean a situation, when somebody comes here with a technical problem. I don't mind that.

However I do mind, when somebody complaints about poor space, small boot, non-foldable seats, unusable 6th, or that it consumps more than old golf, etc...

The is220D is such an awful car lack of legroom in the back, the boot space is atrocious especially having non foldable seats and dont get me started on the 6th gear. :P

consumption wise i am seeing average of 40 mpg which im really happy about, 20 mile light/no traffic commute to work.

Phhhhheeewwww!

Finally some reassuring reads about the IS220d!

I am a week into being the proud owner of a 2006 IS220D SE ( the one with all the gadgets including Bluetooth phone setup which works really well and reverse camera!)

Love the leather interior, love the quite refined ride and low engine/road noise. Steering is responsive and spacious in the back.

Yes the gearbox is clunky and I do notice it more having driven a superb Accord Type R (gearing was amazing short shift ratio) but I am learning to adapt my driving style.

Fuel economy is mid 30's for me as I'm still changing driving style from the harsh heavy footed Type R punisher!

Love it....bought for economy whilst enjoying the little luxurious.

One question though....has anyone know of anyone or wether it possible to disable the safety message on screen? Also anyone known of how to disable the safety feature that prevents DVD from playing when moving (dont be silly - it's not for me to watch!)

Long live the 220D!