Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

brake squeal

Shrek

My brakes have started to squeal at slow speeds when crawling in traffic. The brakes also seem to genrate a lot of brake dust. The wheels look dirty after 15to 20 miles. Is this normal? There is a lot of meat left on the pads so it's not that they are low. :(:(

A lot of it is down to the material used for the pad. I know it is not in the same ball park as your guys cars, but in my Saxo I have changed the pads 3 times in 3 years. The first ones were Citroen pads, and they squealed like buggery all the time and only lasted 8000 miles, the second ones were Ferrodo and they never squealed, made loads of dust and lasted 7000 miles, and my current set are red dot pads which make no dust, never squeal and have lasted 15000 miles so far.

hi les,

the way to stop the pads squealing is to put loads of copper grease on the little spring washers that are on/next to the pads - this is normally the cause. if u look hard you should see what i mean.

• Like 1

hi les,

the way to stop the pads squealing is to put loads of copper grease on the little spring washers that are on/next to the pads - this is normally the cause. if u look hard you should see what i mean.

Rob nailed thos one on the head again, the sounds does not come from the pad material, it's the sound of the pad moving. I bit of copper grease on the back solves this problem.

Thank you for your tips and comments guys. I am relieved that my car is not the only one suffering with this problem.

I read in another thread that EBC green pads are good. Does any one know if they do them for the MK1 Gs's? Or is there a contact site or phone number? once again thanks for your time guys :):):)

Shrek

The answer is simple?

Don't drive the GS at slow speeds

On a serious note, Never had the Brakes make a noise in the 132,000 miles i have driven in GS's

Dave