Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Noisy Rear End Diagnosis

200 2 U

Hi all, just joined today as a newbie IS200 Sport owner, I finally managed to own one after waiting a few years for the prices to come within reach, and it was worth the wait.

I brought a IS200 Sport 2001 on a Y plate in Astral Black 2 weeks ago, it was in need of an MOT and a little TLC, well actually quite a bit of TLC as the previous owner hd a terminal illness and left it standing on his drive for 5 months. Today it passed the MOT with no advisory notification, so I am exstatic, also today saw the arrival of a number of parts I ordered from a very helpful guy in Bristol who was breaking a IS200, and he has done me proud adding quite a few extra parts not even asked for.

So after getting the car through the MOT I travelled home along the M40 feeling quite relieved and excited about the prospect of doing a bit of work on her this evening, but the smile on my face soon became a frown and one of tension and bewilderment, you see there was this constant whiring noise eminating from the rear of the car that I had not heard before, but then I never test drove it along the motorways as the noise gets progressively worse with higher speed. The noise is akin to a kind of dry running gear box, so I suspect the differential, or maybe the prop shaft doughnuts, not sure as I don't really know the week points on the IS200 Sport model. The car has a big bore rear box fitted but it is not this as removing the leaded boot from the gas pedal does not reduce the noise, but it does get quite loud with increased speed above around 45-50 mph.

I am a newbie novice but want to learn as much as I can about my new toy, I just want to know if anyone else has had this experience or if there is a common fault with the IS200 Sport from this period ?? Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated, many thanks in anticipation of a quick response.

thank you

200 2 U

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links