Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Headlight Change Help

hi all,

car:

lexus is250 SE-l

my low beam headlight has blown on the passenger side. im finding it hard to replace due to the space restrictions. is there another way of doing it as my MOT is coming up and it needs to be changed. i've checked on line and theres suggestions that the front bumper needs to come off! im just wondering if i can remove the headlight unit instead

any ideas, experience, please share

thanks

finest1

hi all,

car:

lexus is250 SE-l

my low beam headlight has blown on the passenger side. im finding it hard to replace due to the space restrictions. is there another way of doing it as my MOT is coming up and it needs to be changed. i've checked on line and theres suggestions that the front bumper needs to come off! im just wondering if i can remove the headlight unit instead

any ideas, experience, please share

thanks

finest1

The low beam is the outer lens and is fitted with HID bulbs on the SE-L. That being the case you do not need to remove either the bumper or the headlight.

To fit the HIDs:

First take off the front and side top covers by removing the location pins. I use a blade to lift the central pin then pull the fastener out by pulling on this pin.

On the IS250, passenger side, remove the windscreen washer bottle filler neck bolt with a 10mm and pull the bottom of the filler tube away from the bottle to give you the visibility and room. Look down from the front of the car and to the right you see the plastic cover panel covering the bulb, it may have metal clips that clip over each end of the plastic cover or a wire clip and two locating tongues on the cover. Either version, push the clip(s) back so the plastic cover comes away careful as there is a rubber gasket in the groove of the cover, now you have access to the actual rear of the bulb.

Rear of the bulb you will see a shiny metal cap which has the shiny wire going back to the ballast. On this shiny cap is an engraved arrow showing which way to twist the cap, it has a bayonet fitting like a household light bulb so only needs a 1/4 turn and it will pop off. Now you can see the actual HID bulb, keeping the bulb sitting nicely in the headlamp is a wire contraption "U" shaped which is fixed at the middle of the "U" and the other two ends/legs of the "U" clip each side of the bulb and just lock into small grooves on the headlight where the bulb goes in. The wire is springy and is just there to keep the bulb from dropping out.....very basic. Push the wire ends/legs out of their grooves and the bulb will pop out. The bulb can only go in one way, but make sure you have a new bulb in your other hand so you can get it in taking ref from the one you just took out.

Push the "U" wire ends/legs back over the bulb and lock them into their grooves hence securing the bulb in the headlight. Now you only have to put the shiny cap back on, remember its a bayonet fitting so try to line up the lugs on the actual bulb with the bayonet fitting in the cap, then twist 1/4 turn and it should be good.

Note: At this point before you go any further test the lights......AND START the car to ensure there are no Warnings!!

Ensure you put the bulb in the square and with the correct orientation with the location pins. If you do get any warnings its because the cap is not on correctly.

If you ever need to change the drivers side it's the same, except in talking to Cous3 he removed the airbox to give him room to replace the bulb. I didn't need to do this on the IS-F as it's a different configuration to the intake.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links