Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Lads / and Gals,

Just joined so hello to everyone.

I am in search of what will be my 1st LS400

If anyone is selling give me a shout.

It will be my 2nd car purely to enjoy the experience.

Would like a Mk4

Got "about" £1500, right car could stretch this ....

Hopefully I will be posting a lot more with my new Lexus car.

thanks, rangermastiffs.

I Am Still Looking .... ( drop me a PM )

thread has gone way off topic.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Lads / and Gals,

Would like a Mk4 but a good Mk3 would be considered.

Got "about" £1k to spend .....

thanks, rangermastiffs.

Welcome to LOC

All the best for finding a car, let's have some pics in due course.

Phil

Hi Lads / and Gals,

thanks, rangermastiffs.

You struggle to find anything but a dog of a MK4 for a grand, but finding a decent MK3 will be straightforward.

Hi Lads / and Gals,

thanks, rangermastiffs.

You struggle to find anything but a dog of a MK4 for a grand, but finding a decent MK3 will be straightforward.

Yes I agree with what you say, this figure is not set in stone, what would be a realistic sum to expect a 'Decent' MK4 ??

Hi and welcome to the LOC.

Have you looked in our "Cars for sale" section there are one or two LS400s for sale in there belonging to forum members.

Last add I can see for an LS400 is 5 months old ??

Really?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=72466

Have Edited my 1st post to reflect I will be wanting the Mark 4

Upped my budget to £1500 "ish"

So anyone seen something to tempt me ??

thanks for all replies so far, I am grateful for any info from the members on here ...

Prices seem to have dropped since I bought mine last August, so £1500 should get you a halfway-decent Mk.IV, whereas £1000 wouldn't. Having said that, I think I'd rather have a really good late Mk.III than a not-so-good early Mk.IV - there's less difference than between a Mk.II and a Mk.III.

Prices seem to have dropped since I bought mine last August, so £1500 should get you a halfway-decent Mk.IV, whereas £1000 wouldn't. Having said that, I think I'd rather have a really good late Mk.III than a not-so-good early Mk.IV - there's less difference than between a Mk.II and a Mk.III.

Fair comment Scribe,

What makes me sway towards the MK4 is

I don't like the orange lights at front of MK3

I like the appearance of the sat nav screen on MK4

I think I am right in saying MK4 has 5 speed box (MK3 4 speed)

The alloys look better on the 4

these are just my opinion ...

No problem,I'm nice to everyone :D

I like the MkIV front end better with the different modern look headlight units (plus they are HID as standard) but the orange indicators are replaceable,mine are the dark smoked ones.

There is a series IV on fleabay but it's a complete wreck with paint and bodywork problems to start with.

The thing is to take your time to find a good one for the money,it's a buyers market and big engined cars aren't selling.

DSCF0049.jpg

Yes, the Mk.IV has a five-speed box, though depending on how you drive it, you probably wouldn't notice much difference in terms of noise and fuel economy. Re the look of the wheels: I prefer the look of the Mk.IV ones too but they often lose their colour due to oxidisation (?) and cost around £250 a set to replace with reconditioned ones. Bear in mind too that the nicest looking wheels (IMHO) come with the Dynamic Handling Pack which also includes lower and slightly stiffened suspension. You'll be lucky to find a good one with DHP for £1500. Yes, the position of the satnav is good on a Mk.IV but unless you have an updated CD-Rom it'll be an old system that doesn't work by postcode (street name only). Mine won't take me to my house even when I put the road name in.

And Steve is right. Looks are important, but at around £1500 condition is more so, I'd say, so take your time looking for a decent one (it helps to be able to judge one car against another) and be prepared to travel if necessary.

And Steve is right. Take your time looking for a decent one - it helps to be able to judge one against another - and be prepared to travel.

Yep you are both right about taking my time

BUT

that is my biggest weakness, I have to get something asap ..... :excl:

I am currently in email conversation already about one, (and I have never even sat in one before) ...

Out of the 3 I see on fleabay this looks the best although I would never bid before looking but it is a series 4 with DHP wheels (which as mentioned previously corrode so will need a refurb) FSH and only 2 owners which is normally a good sign and a dealer part ex.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1999-LEXUS-LS400-AUTO-LEATHER-TOUCH-SCREEN-SAT-NAV-/180672152737?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2a10e644a1#ht_8913wt_1141

Yes, I'd consider that one if I were looking for one now. Considering the state of the wheels, 'near to mint' sounds like a bit of an exaggeration, but unless you're going to spend silly money (like the 1998 46,000 miler at £3950) there's going to be something that needs a bit of attention.

If you could buy the car for £1300 then you have £200 for the wheel refurb bang on budget!

I already have this one in my watch list ...

On 4th photo down there appears to be a "flap" under front of bumper corner should that be there?

If you could buy the car for £1300 then you have £200 for the wheel refurb bang on budget!

On 4th photo down there appears to be a "flap" under front of bumper corner should that be there?

That 'flap' is a broken skirt - see my recent post about this. The front airdam is actually quite low and can easily be grounded on kerbs. Not a huge job to fix.

That 'flap' is a broken skirt - see my recent post about this. The front airdam is actually quite low and can easily be grounded on kerbs. Not a huge job to fix.

Thought that I have just broken mine on my Forester 2010 model but it is press on and replaceable.

But due to car market in Japan just now there is none in UK .....

It looks like part of the under engine plastic cover easily caught on kerbs when parking over them or as Scribe says the front airdam.Mine is even lower than normal and has some battle scars also on 2nd engine undercover,bit of cosmetic repair I think.