Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Today, just as a spur-of-the-moment thing, I thought I would tempt fate and try an old cassette in the car! (Bear in mind that it's the factory system from my 1990 LS transplanted into my '94.) To my amazement, especially as the cassette player section hadn't been used for nearly 10 years, it: (1) Played without chewing the tape, (2) Ran at the correct pitch without any wow or flutter, (3) Played without any loss of HF, and (4) Gave the cassette back afterwards undamaged! Top marks to Pioneer, I think!

So, when did you last use yours?

Lol last year, and mine played exactly the same. My parents found a load of my old tapes in a drawer from when I was a kid. I had a couple of months playing my old mix tapes from the 80's. Classic stuff, even went out and got some of it on cd.

And now if no other tapes surface I'll neve use it again lol.

Good topic.

Steve

hello all my names is shaun and im a new member i have a 96 ls400 when i sus out how to upload photos i will i have been trying to find a wireing harness for a after market stero iv done the Halfords bit/ and eBay and a couple of usa sites but there seems to be so many to choose from does any one have any ideas ..

Hello Shaun63 welcome to the LOC,I don't think there is an easy way to fit aftermarket units due to the fact the amplifier for the stock unit is under the passenger seat and there is also a seperate sub woofer amp.

I have heard you can get amp bypass kits.

I actually used the wiring diagram and hard wired mine.

You may get more info if you repost your question in the audio section of the forum.

As for my old cassette it had so much wow and flutter the car started bouncing in sympathy!

Today, just as a spur-of-the-moment thing, I thought I would tempt fate and try an old cassette in the car! (Bear in mind that it's the factory system from my 1990 LS transplanted into my '94.) To my amazement, especially as the cassette player section hadn't been used for nearly 10 years, it: (1) Played without chewing the tape, (2) Ran at the correct pitch without any wow or flutter, (3) Played without any loss of HF, and (4) Gave the cassette back afterwards undamaged! Top marks to Pioneer, I think!

So, when did you last use yours?

Sadly never because I don't think it works, unless of course I've been doing something wrong. Got me thinking, I must have another try tomorrow, especially as everything else works on the 18 year old!

Can you remember Chromium Dioxide cassette tapes they were supposed to be superior to ferrous oxide and you had a little switch on the player to correct the sound or sitting in front of the radiogram with your Waltham cassette recorder taping the Top 20 on a sunday evening!Or even the reel to reel tape recorder with the green tube thingy that opened and closed up depending on the sound level.

Boy I'm getting old!

Can you remember Chromium Dioxide cassette tapes they were supposed to be superior to ferrous oxide and you had a little switch on the player to correct the sound or sitting in front of the radiogram with your Waltham cassette recorder taping the Top 20 on a sunday evening!Or even the reel to reel tape recorder with the green tube thingy that opened and closed up depending on the sound level.

Boy I'm getting old!

I can still remember the 8 track in my Ford Anglia, interesting listening to two songs playing at the same time! :hehe:

NEVER EVER play CHEAP tapes.NEVER EVER play anything other than C90 max.Always turn the spools both ways with a Bic pen to make sure they're not sticking. Always wind/rewind the tape through the machine before playing.I bought my 1st car cassette player, a Pioneer with only volume control and a FF button, in 1971, and if memory serves me right,it was over £30 then.I've even took out the Bose CD in my Accord and put in a Bose radio/cassette with Alpine cd changer so as to listen to my hundreds of home made tapes done on TDK Super Avilon.

I last played a cassette in my Lexus.....today, yesterday, the day before yesterday......

The cd player packed up ages ago and I haven't got around to repairing/replacing it yet-too much effort and expense.

I went to a car boot sale and bought loads of cassettes for 50p each and that'll do me fine!!

If the car had anything mechanically wrong with it I would repair it immediately but for me the sound system is not that important ( but maybe thats because other people dont share my good taste in music so I dont play my music that much in the car unless Im travelling on my own!!)

I last played a cassette in my Lexus.....today, yesterday, the day before yesterday......

The cd player packed up ages ago and I haven't got around to repairing/replacing it yet-too much effort and expense.

I went to a car boot sale and bought loads of cassettes for 50p each and that'll do me fine!!

If the car had anything mechanically wrong with it I would repair it immediately but for me the sound system is not that important ( but maybe thats because other people dont share my good taste in music so I dont play my music that much in the car unless Im travelling on my own!!)

You can get a Wireless thingy that routes your iPod into the radio by transmitting the signal to the car radio!

. No idea just how bad they are though! (Never tried the one I bought!)

I have BOXES of cassettes, so.....I should dig them out!

And 700+ of those big 12 inch flat plastic things that came before CDs!

CDs. Isn't that what came before downloads?

I sold an Elvis 78 rpm shellac on eBay last year for £25!

After all, a big reason for buying the LS was the quality of the hi-fi!

I would listen to cassettes if the tape player could play them, all it seems to do is load then turn a motor for a second or so then switch back to the radio.

Regards

Iain

When I got the car two years ago the cassette slot prompted me to dig out the old collection. Very impressed with the performance, and now I use a cassette/iplod adaptor which works fine.

John N

• 2 weeks later...

I dug out all my cassettes a couple of weeks ago and played them, they still sounded good after 20yrs, i used to record on TDK SA90 which were good tapes, with decent equipment. keep some in the car now... lol

My 2000 GS300's cassette player keeps ejecting tapes without playing them. Any ideas, anyone? I've only just bought the car.

They may be to tight

• 3 weeks later...

My 2000 GS300's cassette player keeps ejecting tapes without playing them. Any ideas, anyone? I've only just bought the car.

They may be to tight

Thanks, but I've tried various cassettes and it just ejects them. The display recognises that the cassette player has been activated but the tape is ejected before it is played. I can't find anyone in or around Birmingham (except probably a dealer) who is able to diagnose and fix the problem. It's a shame because everything else on the car works (great for an 11 year old) and I do have loads of old cassettes.

Have always played cassettes on and off ... my collection is tiny compared to 100 years ago ................. the problem I found with the MK3 that I now have is the inordinate noise I get from storing them in the glove compartment ....... the only real noise in the car, and a bit odd .... the plastic cases juggling together !

So I put tissues between them now.

The cassettes play fine, as do the CDs as does the radio too ....... all functioning well I'm pleased to say.

Malc

Remembered this string whilst sitting in my car, undergoing its MOT.

(I operate the controls...)

Stuck a cassette in ("My Desert Island discs" it says on the cover!) and it sounds great!

Partly down to being recorded on good equipment of course, but fine anyway.

I'd guess the player is pretty nigh pristine!

As is the car! Passed, again, with no problems!

MOT guy goes around underneath muttering "Beautiful" to himself!

I take care of the car, but it's good to hear!

Now; should I sell it, or just enjoy ANOTHER year of lovely driving?

Why just another year ?

I'm going to be driving mine forever methinks, 8.5 years now with LS400s ........ why would I change ?

Anyway, what other car plays cassettes !

Malc

Just Google for an audio & visual brand that epitomizes uncompromising quality and performance.

Anyone alive in the 70's and 80's will know this reputation for very high quality audio cassette decks.