Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I have done a search on this forum but did not get any answer :question:

my question is the only thing that lets down my car are its alloy wheels they look really rough :shutit:

just purchased car 2004 model so was wondering is it cheaper to have them redone (and will they last looking good)

or go and buy some new ones probably not

Lexus but a third party type of wheel and what brand of tyres would you recommend on there at the moment the size is

235/55R18 look like budget ones :unsure:

Thanks for reading and hopefully i will get some replies

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave, I got all my wheels replaced free of charge from Lexus and it was over four years old and out of warranty. Went to my nearest Lexus dealer as i bought my RX from a lexus dealer in heartfordshire and not local to me, and just asked them ! They took some photo's and contacted lexus and they agreed and replaced them. They know they have a problem with them just argue your corner that you dont expect a quailty car like this to corrode so quickly. As long as they are corroded and not curbed you may get them done, worth a go first mate. Dont forget the spare also. Other than that i have had wheels refurbed before on my older Toyota's and i belive its better to get them powder coated than buy aftermarket wheels, least you keep the car original and wheels are much better than new when power coated. Approx cost near me is £40-£50 per wheel to get done. Tyres, i just put four Hankook RH06 Ventus st100v 235/55 v18 on mine at cost of £100. each and seem really good and quiet.

Hope this helps

Phil.

Hi Dave, I got all my wheels replaced free of charge from Lexus and it was over four years old and out of warranty. Went to my nearest Lexus dealer as i bought my RX from a lexus dealer in heartfordshire and not local to me, and just asked them ! They took some photo's and contacted lexus and they agreed and replaced them. They know they have a problem with them just argue your corner that you dont expect a quailty car like this to corrode so quickly. As long as they are corroded and not curbed you may get them done, worth a go first mate. Dont forget the spare also. Other than that i have had wheels refurbed before on my older Toyota's and i belive its better to get them powder coated than buy aftermarket wheels, least you keep the car original and wheels are much better than new when power coated. Approx cost near me is £40-£50 per wheel to get done. Tyres, i just put four Hankook RH06 Ventus st100v 235/55 v18 on mine at cost of £100. each and seem really good and quiet.

Hope this helps

Phil.

Thanks Phil

might try what you suggest and see what happens as regards informing Lexus of corrosion on wheels

thanks

Dave

Bought my RX 300 new in 2002. Wheels quickly corroded, and at the end of the 3 years' guarantee, I got 4 replacements. Of course, they also subsequently corroded badly, and by now they all look terrible. So I was glad to see your post. I am thinking of getting them refurbished (I see a reply to your post suggests "powder coating" but I don't know what that means) but have not done anything about it because I don't know of a recommended place in South Wales to do the job.

Cymro

Hi Mate, Powder Coating is when the wheels are sand/Grit/shot blasted then an electrical charge is given to the wheel and an oposite charge is given to the paint and the paint sticks to the wheel, A real hard wearing finish but can chip but will last longer than wet painted (Normally sprayed) Then both laquered. The wheels i had fitted from Lexus were refurbed and not brand new ones, they are getting your old ones refurbed as they are harder wearing and cheaper to replace.

Cheers

Phil.

Have a look at these people. www.lepsons.com

They do thousands of wheels a week and come very highly reccomended.

There's a good section on their website explaining exactly what work they do when refurbishing wheels.

By getting them properly refurb'd will ensure they do not corrode - replacements from Lexus corrode regardless and it usually isn't an issue if your car is under Warranty with Lexus. But a car of that age, I'd just pay to get it done and know its sorted.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for responses. Have emailed Lepsons as suggested by Lydiamight. Shall keep forum posted.

Try Wicked Wheels as well I have seen some good results from them and they come and do it at your home/office

• 1 month later...

Have a look at these people. www.lepsons.com

They do thousands of wheels a week and come very highly reccomended.

There's a good section on their website explaining exactly what work they do when refurbishing wheels.

Eventually took RX to Lepsons at Swindon. Very professional outfit: they were ready for me; left the car as arranged; was ready after 48 hours (they had cautioned it might take longer). Looks as new. Hope it'll last longer than new! Apparently the problem with most wheels made in Japan is insufficient primer.

Thanks for suggesting Lepsons.

Consensus appears to be that if you properly redo the alloys (using a company like Lepsons) then they are unlikely to corrode as easily as Lexus ones do. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the finished products.

Wicked Wheels etc. are only good for a retouch...