Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DVLA shows this as being a 1996 manufactured car, first registered in 2000, so yes, you're right!

In the past, when there is a model change, it has sometimes taken Lexus a while to shift some of the old models, but this does seem a bit extreme.

Do let us know what you find out about it.

: o )

My guess is it's a personal import.

Same here,imported cars come to the UK with a Japanese Deregistration Certificate which as it happens is written in Japanese,if the DVLA cannot translate the actual year of manufacture they tend to register the car when it was actually registered in the UK so a 1996 car brought into the UK in 2000 could well be a W registration.

Same here,imported cars come to the UK with a Japanese Deregistration Certificate which as it happens is written in Japanese,if the DVLA cannot translate the actual year of manufacture they tend to register the car when it was actually registered in the UK so a 1996 car brought into the UK in 2000 could well be a W registration.

Could well be right ...

But

Does this not go against the policy (DVLA) of not being allowed to put a Reg on a car which makes it look newer than it is.

As when buying a private plate?

Could well be right ...

But

Does this not go against the policy (DVLA) of not being allowed to put a Reg on a car which makes it look newer than it is.

As when buying a private plate?

Hi no I dont think it does,as it is still the DVLA that registers it,as for private/personal plates, you cannot for instance take a 57 private plate and put it on a 55 plate registered car thereby making it look younger but you can put a J(1991/92)plate on a 03 registered car thereby making it look older,hope this helps - You can make a car look older but not younger.

Scudney,

That's my point.

By putting a 'W' Reg (2000) on this car which is 1996 (R reg) you are making it look younger :crybaby:

Hi,in a sense yes but it is done by the DVLA and not the owner of the car and thats the differnece.The DVLA can if they are unsure of the exact registration date,but you cannot fit a private 57 plate to a 55 plate registered car.

That 400 looks the same as mine, colour, style,inside,etc,I have just been outside to check it is still there----it is, mine is 1997 Mk 3 so the Mk4 must have come in1998.

This is not the 1st time the DVLA have issued a plate for an imported car that suggests it is younger than it is,they can only go on the information provided at the time of UK registration if this is vague it can result in this situation.I think the person registering the car has to make a signed declaration that the information is correct as far as they are aware but obviously "mistakes" can happen.

My car is registered as a Toyota and there is no model on the V5C and therefore the tax disc (often thought about insuring it as a Yaris or even 'it's just a Toyota I don't know what model it doesn't say on the logbook!) but the guy I bought mine off had another same model import that the DVLA registered as a Lexus LS400.When it comes to insuring and selling this little detail can make a big difference!

Last point on my V5C the colour is stated as bronze,the actual colour is Lexus Dark Silver according to the paint code.

So there you go a 1995 model could have a W plate.

Just looks like a UK car that was registered late, and so assigned in the year it was registered.... it happens now and again....

I've seen many car like this, one example: a 1980's Maestro's registered as year 2000 x-reg

This is not the 1st time the DVLA have issued a plate for an imported car that suggests it is younger than it is,they can only go on the information provided at the time of UK registration if this is vague it can result in this situation.I think the person registering the car has to make a signed declaration that the information is correct as far as they are aware but obviously "mistakes" can happen.

My car is registered as a Toyota and there is no model on the V5C and therefore the tax disc (often thought about insuring it as a Yaris or even 'it's just a Toyota I don't know what model it doesn't say on the logbook!) but the guy I bought mine off had another same model import that the DVLA registered as a Lexus LS400.When it comes to insuring and selling this little detail can make a big difference!

Last point on my V5C the colour is stated as bronze,the actual colour is Lexus Dark Silver according to the paint code.

So there you go a 1995 model could have a W plate.

Here you go boys, straight from the horses mouth. Mike.

You may not make a vehicle look newer than it actually is by transferring a registration that bears a later year suffix or prefix letter. For example, you may not put a plate with an S year suffix on a car that originally carried an R suffix registration. The same principle applies to prefix registrations. You may, however transfer an older registration to a newer car (an R reg plate to an S reg vehicle for example). Vehicle registration numbers that do not contain a year identifier may be assigned to a vehicle of any age.

It's probably imported from Jersey, or somewhere similar. It would receive a UK number plate from the date of import, not the date of manufacture (as someone above mentioned: It was "first registered" (in the UK) in 2000, hence the W plate. Just one reason to be careful of imports - but it's easy enough to find the year of manufacture.

• 3 weeks later...

Scudney,

That's my point.

By putting a 'W' Reg (2000) on this car which is 1996 (R reg) you are making it look younger :crybaby:

That rule works on the registration year, not the build year. The car has a registration year of 2000, therefore you can display any numberplate upto and including a W 'reg' legally.