Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 430, Lumber Support And A Very Happy Lexus-Virgin!

I have to thank all of you very dedicated LS 430 enthusiasts for helping me take the plunge for an LS 430. I have been a silent reader of this wonderful forum for about 1 month.

WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING DRIVING CRAPPY CARS ALL THESE YEARS?? >:-(

I finally got my 430 -Series 1, on saturday; a decent number with 120K miles on the clock, for 2800.00. I am absolutely stunned with the sheer blitz of gadgets AND sublime driving that the 430 has to offer... I tell you, perhaps people would easily pay 10k+ for the pleasures of the kit that the LS comes with!!

My questions/concerns:

1] After 2 days of pure driving pleasure, I am worried that the Lumbar Support of the driver's seat may not be as great as the rest of this swesome machine.

I think that this is going to be a problem for me, as I have a bit of Lower back pains, after just 2 days of driving.

Q- Has anybody had this issue? What would you suggest??

2] I am hoping to do an LPG conversion next mth; Q- Is it feasible to fit TWO LPG tanks in the booth space? I am hoping to fit mine in Wales, like some of you suggested. Does it make sense traveling across the pond to get my LPG fixed (servicing etc)?

3] Does anybody know a reliable Independent Lexus mechanic in N. Ireland?

4] I have more than a few pebble chipping on the front bonnet; would you suggest I 'do something about it', or leave well alone, they're not very prominent, but I worry for rusting?

This is one happy Lexus man, I tell you folks.. A big thank you to you all!! (Averaged 23 MPG today...hmmm, that needs to come down)..(Feel a bit embarrassed driving around in a Lex with the country in recession; getting strange looks from the neighbors)

I have to thank all of you very dedicated LS 430 enthusiasts for helping me take the plunge for an LS 430. I have been a silent reader of this wonderful forum for about 1 month.

I finally got my 430 -Series 1, on saturday; a decent number with 120K miles on the clock, for 2800.00. I am absolutely stunned with the sheer blitz of gadgets AND sublime driving that the 430 has to offer... I tell you, perhaps people would easily pay 10k+ for the pleasures of the kit that the LS comes with!!

My questions/concerns:

1] After 2 days of pure driving pleasure, I am worried that the Lumbar Support of the driver's seat may not be as great as the rest of this swesome machine.

I think that this is going to be a problem for me, as I have a bit of Lower back pains, after just 2 days of driving.

2] I am hoping to do an LPG conversion next mth; Q- Is it feasible to fit TWO LPG tanks in the booth space? I am hoping to fit mine in Wales, like some of you suggested. Does it make sense traveling across the pond to get my LPG fixed (servicing etc)?

4] I have more than a few pebble chipping on the front bonnet; would you suggest I 'do something about it', or leave well alone, they're not very prominent, but I worry for rusting?

This is one happy Lexus man, I tell you folks.. A big thank you to you all!! (Averaged 23 MPG today...hmmm, that needs to come down)..(Feel a bit embarrassed driving around in a Lex with the country in recession; getting strange looks from the neighbors)

More than feesable to fit two tanks one do-nut one cylinder. They will do a great job at Profess. Getting the wifes Mondeo ST24 converted in the next couple of weeks.

Mike

Thank you for your prompt response Bluesman... I'm hoping to take a most pleasurable drive to Profess in Wales soon to get the job done.

My questions/concerns:

More than feesable to fit two tanks one do-nut one cylinder. They will do a great job at Profess. Getting the wifes Mondeo ST24 converted in the next couple of weeks.

Mike

I assume the lumbar support adjusting is all working? , shopuld make a noticable movement when pressed.

I guess you could get an upholsterers to stuff a bit more padding in where you need it.

I wouldnt worry about stone chips on the bonnet , will take forever to rust noticably as the LS paint is very think and the metal too.

Stone chips in other areas is different , if its wings or near the windscreen get sorted as they do rust.

Thanks @Beavisrules; I didn't know there's a lumber support adjustment. Where is it located pls?..I'll go have a snoop around.. The chips're on both sides of the front grill..Perhaps it's just me being a bit finicky...

Oops, gotta go take a drive..70 miles to/from work today...(Lawwd, been through 2 full tanks in 3 days)..This is discovering the pleasures of driving all over again..

So glad I found you folks... 50k+ monster for 2.8k? My heart goes out to the initial owner(s)..

I assume the lumbar support adjusting is all working? , shopuld make a noticable movement when pressed.

I guess you could get an upholsterers to stuff a bit more padding in where you need it.

I wouldnt worry about stone chips on the bonnet , will take forever to rust noticably as the LS paint is very think and the metal too.

Stone chips in other areas is different , if its wings or near the windscreen get sorted as they do rust.

Thanks @Beavisrules; I didn't know there's a lumber support adjustment. Where is it located pls?..I'll go have a snoop around.. The chips're on both sides of the front grill..Perhaps it's just me being a bit finicky...

Oops, gotta go take a drive..70 miles to/from work today...(Lawwd, been through 2 full tanks in 3 days)..This is discovering the pleasures of driving all over again..

So glad I found you folks... 50k+ monster for 2.8k? My heart goes out to the initial owner(s)..

It took me 6/7 months to find out all the tricks my car had and thats even with reading the instruction manual.

Goodluck in wales. Lets us know how you get on.

Mike

Found the 'Lumbar Support' buttons; they thought about everything when they made these Lexus cars. shocking!

I promptly adjusted to the best position (for me), and drove about for a while. I have to say that I still felt the supports were just that bit disappointing, coming from a 10 year romance with a Saab 93 that did 210,000 Miles, and still running.

The Saabs are so well made, and I still love it dearly. I think the Swedes put a lot of thought into every detail of the Saab, to make it such an intuitive and comfortable drive.. I love my Saab, but this 450 (Lumbar support aside), is on a different league altogether.

I definitely like the lumbar support.

As you know there are two of them, above each other (low in the back).

In fact the seating position was the main reason for me to choose the LS430.

I tried a lot of different cars, but none had the (for my back!) good support that my troubled back desperately needs.

Before the LS430 I drove a Renault Safrane V6 aut, which was very comfortable. Ride quality and seating matches the LS430. No other car that I tried matched it.

The settings for the 2 lumbar supports do require some fiddling though. It took some time before I had the "ideal" position of seat, back and lumbar supports.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jac

I think the LS430 seats are designed for big drivers. (Fat CEOS's?) As such they are a bit like a sofa, so if you are used to the all round support from a smaller car you will find the LS430 seats not as good - if you are normal sized. I was considering asking a seat upholsterer to recover the drivers seat with more support foam particularly wings at the side, but he'd never be able to match the leather so I haven't bothered. Last year garages in the UK were selling a neat little mesh lumbar supportfor a fiver that was OK.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I fully agree about the width of the seats. This looks in accordance with the retractable steering wheel; a feature that I do not need.

I am quite small and lean, so initially I had my reservations about the wide seats.

Though they do not give the side-support that I like (and that I was used to) I still find them very comfortable.

My back does not have the right shape, and is very critical in this respect.

In the LS430 however, I can drive larger stretches without having back pain than in any other car I tried.

Still, for me the seats would have been even more comfortable if they were designed for people that don't have the width and weight of the standard fat executive :winky:;-)

Jac

Setright in his review of the Ser 2/3 in 95 said something similar about the seats. Reckoned that the Citroen XM was great!

I find my Ser 4 is similar; I just change the angle of the seat every so often so my back isn't fixed in one position for too long.

Perhaps you need one of the Bamboo bead seat covers!!

Taxi!

(We use one in a Micra!)

In my S-Cargo, I used a real Camel bag made out of carpet!

As it was my 'beast of burden'!

Hello Mike,

I fully agree about the width of the seats. This looks in accordance with the retractable steering wheel; a feature that I do not need.

I am quite small and lean, so initially I had my reservations about the wide seats.

Though they do not give the side-support that I like (and that I was used to) I still find them very comfortable.

My back does not have the right shape, and is very critical in this respect.

In the LS430 however, I can drive larger stretches without having back pain than in any other car I tried.

Still, for me the seats would have been even more comfortable if they were designed for people that don't have the width and weight of the standard fat executive :winky:;-)

Jac

This looks in accordance with the retractable steering wheel; a feature that I do not need.

Great for us disabled drivers big or small.

Mike

I've fiddled with the Lumbar supports to no end, I't just that bit uncomfortable, but better than yesterday before you guys asked me to look for the buttons.

It also a bit unsettling rolling about the large seat, especially in corners; as some have mentioned, the side supports are not quite as supportive, especially for 'average' built people like us.

I had an idea today to de-construct the seat later, to 'reduce' the top Lumbar support, perhaps by 2-4 inches, It just feels that it's not supporting the right place one my back, leaving me somewhat curved back.

It would really hurt to put a 'seat' over the lex one, as it's such a well made seat already. Or I may just try making a model myself..

Another thing I noticed on return from my 100miles+ round trip to work is that I was not nearly as tired as in my Saab. I recall one of the forum members saying in an earlier post that the LS completely changes the way you drive.

Today, I even got off the road for a couple of cars to speed past! Just couldn't be distracted from the excellent drive...

How was I ever able to drive in another car all this while?

The sound system in my 430 is unbeatable... What a class car! Thanks guys; I'm sure I'll be boring you folks with all these encomiums on the LS...

Hello,

I'm sure you'll have found it by now but the button that sldes the squab back and forwards- along with the lumbar support- can make quite a difference. In my case moving it forward made it that bit more comfy.

Pete