Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Info On Is250 Petrol

Hi everyone I currently have an IS200 and I'm decided that an IS250 will be its replacement so I've done the usual autotrader haul and there appears to be some good cars around for example a sub 20000 mile IS250 SE-L manual (which is what I'm after) for around £12999. I'm looking mainly at the SE-L's but to be honest if there is a saving to be had and there was a particularly nice example of an SE I could forego the multimedia improvements of the SE-L.

Anyway I usually frequent the IS200 part of this forum and what I would like from you guys if you can spare the time is some top buying advice and a list of things to look out for the year I'm looking to buy would likely be between 55 and 07. In fact the SE-L I mentioned above is an 07 plate, so the things I'm wondering are

were there any revisions to the IS250 models over those years, is there a better year?

Any re-calls to be aware of?

Is there a year of car which would offer more value for example would an 08 SE be a better buy than an older 06 SE-L?

Does the IS250 suffer from any geometry issues like the inner tyre wear that the IS200 suffered from?

Any weak points in the interior trim?

Any issues with alloy corrosion?

Any engine related issues on hot or cold starts?

Anyway that kind of thing I just want to be as well informed as possible and not seem like an easy target or noob to the car sales man.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards

Mark

Hi everyone I currently have an IS200 and I'm decided that an IS250 will be its replacement so I've done the usual autotrader haul and there appears to be some good cars around for example a sub 20000 mile IS250 SE-L manual (which is what I'm after) for around £12999. I'm looking mainly at the SE-L's but to be honest if there is a saving to be had and there was a particularly nice example of an SE I could forego the multimedia improvements of the SE-L.

Anyway I usually frequent the IS200 part of this forum and what I would like from you guys if you can spare the time is some top buying advice and a list of things to look out for the year I'm looking to buy would likely be between 55 and 07. In fact the SE-L I mentioned above is an 07 plate, so the things I'm wondering are

were there any revisions to the IS250 models over those years, is there a better year?

Is there a year of car which would offer more value for example would an 08 SE be a better buy than an older 06 SE-L?

Does the IS250 suffer from any geometry issues like the inner tyre wear that the IS200 suffered from?

Anyway that kind of thing I just want to be as well informed as possible and not seem like an easy target or noob to the car sales man.

Regards

Mark

After the total control the IS200 Manual gearbox provides; I can understand why you want to stay with a Manual gearbox. However, the IS250 Manual gearbox is just reasonably good where the Auto box is SUPERB - generally including manual shift by both lever & paddles. Auto suits the car much better and also gives better fuel economy with lower emissions, so the Vehicle Excise Duty is actually cheaper than for the Manual version.

The only really common issue with IS250's is a range of rattles/creaks from the dashboard which are particularly annoying because the car is otherwise so quiet. These can be sorted as can the cold-start engine rattle some have had. Models with MM are more desirable, also having a wider range of goodies like the reversing camera - which is more helpful than you would ever imagine. Alloy corrosion exists, but is much the same as for alloys on any other car. Money can be saved by choosing one of the more unfashionable colours available.

The IS250 is very reliable, but a more complex car with some frighteningly expensive bits; so a Lexus Extended Warranty could be a good (but not cheap) idea.

Coming from the first generation IS it's natural to think of the manual gearbox, but the auto box is far preferable in the IS250 for many reasons. You also have the option of paddle or stick changes with the auto box if you really have to play.

All the revisions have been cosmetic and minor, so I wouldn't say any year is better than another.

Numerous, if you search the IS250 forum you'll find they've all been discussed. Just from memory, Front Seat Belt recoilers, replacement fuel pipe, power steering rack replacement, brake master cylinder seal, There are additional TSIB's (Technical Information SErvice Bulletins) issued by Lexus to the dealers to sort several problems reported by owners, The big one requires a top end engine re-build if you experience engine rattle on cold start, then there's the rear brake caliper replacement for pistons that may seize, and a fix for rattles around the dashboard.

Go for the Auto SE-L with all the toys or you'll regret not doing so.

One word. NO.

Not really, but you may hear a rattle which appears to come from the seat belt mountings but will be the door rattling on its catch. The owner fix is to wrap the striker rod on the door plate with several rounds of insulation tape.

Exactly the same as those you no doubt experienced with your IS200, I'm sorry to say.

Possibly, as mentioned above there's a TSIB for rattles that may occur during cold start-up, but my IS250 SE-L never had it and as far as I know still does not.

Regards

Mark

I bought an SE in April and my feedback would be to definitely go for the SE-L as I understand it has adaptive cruise.

I have the ventilated leather and in this weather it's a godsend!

Also, I'd definitely recommend either buying from a dealer or buying a warranty. Lexus are replacing my wheels and VVTi controllers FOC so I'm very pleased I bought from a main agent as that'd have been quite pricey! They also valet it free once a month!

The only real weakness in terms of trim that I've seen is the boot lining appears to be quite flimsy and can easily come loose. Again, they're sorting it under warranty.

As someone who's always veered towards 'warmer' variants, I can understand the desire for a manual but the 250 auto is very, very good. Crack the sport button on and it actually goes pretty well too. MPG and emissions (if you care) are apparently lower and I did hear that for the petrol they'd ditched or were ditching the manual box as an option because it's so unpopular.

Happy hunting. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone help point me in the direction of information on the TSIB relating to rattle on cold start?

Concerned my car might have it and more concerned that it is a 2005 and well out of warranty :crybaby:

I have tried the search function, but am struggling to turn any information up about it (other than the posts explainig that it exists and there is a TSIB regarding it).

I bought the car at xmas and it did have FSH but the last 2 were at an independent as opposed to Lexus.

I did take it to Lexus to get the aircon fixed, but I doubt my intent to use Lexus since purchasing is going to count for anything.

So presuming there is no way the dealer is going to help with the cost I am looking if I should get it sorted and how much it will likely cost me.

Cheers Folks

Can anyone help point me in the direction of information on the TSIB relating to rattle on cold start?

Concerned my car might have it and more concerned that it is a 2005 and well out of warranty :crybaby:

I have tried the search function, but am struggling to turn any information up about it (other than the posts explainig that it exists and there is a TSIB regarding it).

Cheers Folks

I have the TSIB but the forum skips the upload as the file size is too big apparently. Google 'EG017-07' and see if it comes up.

It's applicable to 2006-2007 model year IS250 vehicles equipped with the 4GR-FSE engine and produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINS:-

TMK Factory JTHBK262*72041664

Tahara Factory JTHBK262*75027761

Cheers for the heads up on that.

A google search turned up what I was looking for.

Turns out the problem is actually just the plugs (I know nothing about cars), had them changed at a friends garage first thing and it's cured it :whistling:

• 9 years later...
On 7/8/2011 at 11:27 PM, Tango said:

I have the TSIB but the forum skips the upload as the file size is too big apparently. Google 'EG017-07' and see if it comes up.

It's applicable to 2006-2007 model year IS250 vehicles equipped with the 4GR-FSE engine and produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINS:-

TMK Factory JTHBK262*72041664

Tahara Factory JTHBK262*75027761

Sorry, but im daft, is my car affected? Vin is JTHBK2**X05054088 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links