Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aa Repair Cover For £12.82Pm

just been contacted by AA offering an upgrade in breakdown cover. For an extra £12.82pm they will cover the cost of any repair that cannot be done at the road side (parts & labour) up to £500 a time. and up to 6 claims a year.

That covers both my cars (didnt thnk to ask for a single car cost) but for covering 1 car only i could claim for up to 5 claims.

Any thoughts on this? It seems like a good deal for me as the LS is 18 years old with 184k on the clock and the Rover is 9 with 165k on the clock.

BTW: i checked that they are not bothered by age or milage of the vehicle. :shifty:

just been contacted by AA offering an upgrade in breakdown cover. For an extra £12.82pm they will cover the cost of any repair that cannot be done at the road side (parts & labour) up to £500 a time. and up to 6 claims a year.

That covers both my cars (didnt thnk to ask for a single car cost) but for covering 1 car only i could claim for up to 5 claims.

Any thoughts on this? It seems like a good deal for me as the LS is 18 years old with 184k on the clock and the Rover is 9 with 165k on the clock.

BTW: i checked that they are not bothered by age or milage of the vehicle. :shifty:

Did they require you to have the vehicle serviced at the correct intervals by a main dealer ??

I've fell out with the AA after they left me stranded at Manchester Airport unable to drive back after breaking my foot on holiday with no other driver available.After I complained they simply quoted their terms and conditions so I would suggest before comitting you do the same regarding this service.

In retrospect what I should have done was told them the throttle and brake pedals were both going down at the same time,forgetting to mention this was due to a large plaster cast attached to my right foot.At least then they would have attended and I may have been able to persuade the guy to relay me home!

I was also told of another case where a lady driver whilst at Twycross zoo for the day with her children had the catalytic convertor stolen off the car,again the AA, a "Breakdown Service" refused to help as the car was still "driveable" and technically hadn't broken down.

Moral of the story always read the small print

I've fell out with the AA after they left me stranded at Manchester Airport unable to drive back after breaking my foot on holiday with no other driver available.After I complained they simply quoted their terms and conditions so I would suggest before comitting you do the same regarding this service.

In retrospect what I should have done was told them the throttle and brake pedals were both going down at the same time,forgetting to mention this was due to a large plaster cast attached to my right foot.At least then they would have attended and I may have been able to persuade the guy to relay me home!

I was also told of another case where a lady driver whilst at Twycross zoo for the day with her children had the catalytic convertor stolen off the car,again the AA, a "Breakdown Service" refused to help as the car was still "driveable" and technically hadn't broken down.

Moral of the story always read the small print

I have usualy found that these things are riddled with loop holes and get outs in favour of them, the normal one being if any componants that that causes you to brake down is fixed to the car with either Nut & Bolt, Screw or Weld it isnt covered.

Much like those warranties they give away generously when you buy a used car which turn out not to be worth the paper they are written on.

Mike

I have just joined the AA after buying a road legal quad bike and wanting cover for both that and my car.

I did see the Repair Cover, but thought it would be full off loopholes and get out clauses, so just went for the straight roadside and recovery, for which I am paying £7.21 per month.

I'm not saying it is a farse, it's just that I was worried about how good it would really be and too lazy to find out. In principle, I must say, it sounds amazing??

Thanks

Mike

I have just joined the AA after buying a road legal quad bike and wanting cover for both that and my car.

I did see the Repair Cover, but thought it would be full off loopholes and get out clauses, so just went for the straight roadside and recovery, for which I am paying £7.21 per month.

I'm not saying it is a farse, it's just that I was worried about how good it would really be and too lazy to find out. In principle, I must say, it sounds amazing??

Thanks

Mike

One of the requirements that they wont make much fuss about at point of sale is waranted mileages but they will require proof that the car has been serviced in accordance with manufacturers recommendations when you make a claim.

This will be the next product on "Watchdog"

Mike

ChrisM: they didnt mention the service record.

Steve2006: please dont take this the wrong way mate as i value your opinion on the forum as im sure a lot of guys do and i respect you a lot, but, the AA are not a "get me home ive broken my foot" service.

I was also told of another case where a lady driver..... refused to help as the car was still "driveable" and technically hadn't broken down. This suprises me as i have always has excellent service from both the RAC and AA. I think the moral of the story might be "i once know a man who know a guy who once spoke to a bloke that had seen a chap talking to a man who had seen a blokes friend who said his mate know a man with a talking monkey that juggled 6 squirrels while riding a bicycle with an elephant on pillion. :tomato: Sorry Steve2006 i get a bit carried away sometimes and the AA is usually very good. And you are one of the most helpful guys on here.

I did ask the AA woman to give examples of what it covered. She said it covered parts and labour at an AA aproved garage if a repair could not be done at the raod side. this would include failed clutch, gearbox, engine etc.

I told her that at the weekend i had had to have the front brake pads replaced as they were worn out. While the wheels were off the mechanic (me, but i didnt tell her that) had found that the calipers had siezed and had to be replaced. "would that be covered"? "Yes" can the replied but not the pads as that is wear and tear bit the calipers are a failed part.

Her other example was "if your cam belt fails we wouldnt pay for the belt but if the engine was damaged we would pay for the engine to be fixed"

Seems fare to me. Ive asked for some more details. When ive picked over them ill report back.

ChrisM: they didnt mention the service record.

Steve2006: please dont take this the wrong way mate as i value your opinion on the forum as im sure a lot of guys do and i respect you a lot, but, the AA are not a "get me home ive broken my foot" service.

I was also told of another case where a lady driver..... refused to help as the car was still "driveable" and technically hadn't broken down. This suprises me as i have always has excellent service from both the RAC and AA. I think the moral of the story might be "i once know a man who know a guy who once spoke to a bloke that had seen a chap talking to a man who had seen a blokes friend who said his mate know a man with a talking monkey that juggled 6 squirrels while riding a bicycle with an elephant on pillion. :tomato: Sorry Steve2006 i get a bit carried away sometimes and the AA is usually very good. And you are one of the most helpful guys on here.

I did ask the AA woman to give examples of what it covered. She said it covered parts and labour at an AA aproved garage if a repair could not be done at the raod side. this would include failed clutch, gearbox, engine etc.

I told her that at the weekend i had had to have the front brake pads replaced as they were worn out. While the wheels were off the mechanic (me, but i didnt tell her that) had found that the calipers had siezed and had to be replaced. "would that be covered"? "Yes" can the replied but not the pads as that is wear and tear bit the calipers are a failed part.

Her other example was "if your cam belt fails we wouldnt pay for the belt but if the engine was damaged we would pay for the engine to be fixed"

Seems fare to me. Ive asked for some more details. When ive picked over them ill report back.

Have a look through this lot http://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/pdfs/breakdown-repair-cover-policy-jan-2010.pdf and then see how much of your car they will still repair when that dreadful day arrives.

Their big get out will be the evidence of the car being properly serviced in accordance with makers guidelines and they will take it further from that point untill you are so far away from any hope of them paying for any repairs what so ever.

I doubt there are to many of us can say they have a cast iron service record with stamps and invoices. We may well have plenty of service bills but they wont be what the Insurance company will deem as being serviced in accordance with manufactuers guide lines.

These people are in the business of making money and not repairing your car for a few quid a month. They are ruthless when it comes to paying out.

Mike

I've had good service from the AA in the past when I have broken down (the last time being about 5 years ago ).

When I take out breakdown cover with either AA/RAC I never go direct through them, I go through a site called topcashback.co.uk.

This site gives you back cash for clicking on their site first and they then direct you to AA/RAC site and you proceed as normal.My AA cover would have been £105 but I got a refund of £50 from topcashback.co.uk, making my AA costs only £55(this was for aa/relay/homestart). The only downside is it can take up to 5 months for them to pay you as they can't pay you until the AA pays them. They also offer cashback for eBay as a buyer(you get back 40% of the sellers fees) plus MANY other companies. I have used them many times and they have always paid out ok, but you do have to be patient to receive your money.

I've had good service from the AA in the past when I have broken down (the last time being about 5 years ago ).

When I take out breakdown cover with either AA/RAC I never go direct through them, I go through a site called topcashback.co.uk.

This site gives you back cash for clicking on their site first and they then direct you to AA/RAC site and you proceed as normal.My AA cover would have been £105 but I got a refund of £50 from topcashback.co.uk, making my AA costs only £55(this was for aa/relay/homestart). The only downside is it can take up to 5 months for them to pay you as they can't pay you until the AA pays them. They also offer cashback for ebay as a buyer(you get back 40% of the sellers fees) plus MANY other companies. I have used them many times and they have always paid out ok, but you do have to be patient to receive your money.

It always amazes me how do they do the maths and why cant AA RAC offer you that price minus the £50 to start with.

Would be very interesting if anyone does know how they do the maths.

Mike

What happens if the repair costs £510, do you just pay the £10?

I'm having a legal wrangle with a waste disposal company at work because I didn't read the small print properly.

I would read it very carefully!

A lot of good points raised which is good. I put the original posting up because it all sounded a bit too good to me.

I also put the same post on the Rover 75 forum. We all know they go wrong far far more than our beloved LSs. The response there has been different though. It seems a few of the 75 owners have been on this cover for some time and for some it has paid off big time.

I copied this from one of the posts: "2 claims in 1 year- clutch master cylinder at xmas £270 and now new injector at £470 so well worth the money!! Just make sure you have the car serviced as per Rover whilst covered. They are not worried about previous service history though".

Another post pointed out that he had had a few repairs paid for but clutch friction plates and bushes (not clutch obviously) are not covered as they are wear and tear items.

What happens if the repair costs £510, do you just pay the £10?

I'm having a legal wrangle with a waste disposal company at work because I didn't read the small print properly.

I would read it very carefully!

I would read it very carefully! Very wise words.

Its worth spending an hour reading them.

There is an excess of £25.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links