Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I know this has come up serveral times in past forums...

I have a 57 Plate IS 250 Sport (Out of warrenty) and my head lights flicker... The left light goes off now and then. I have to switch the light off and on again before it comes back. It's only done it twice.

I spoke to Lexus Croydon and they conform the flickering however not the light switching off. They said I need a couple of new HID bulbs.

They quoted £250 approx for each one :ohmy: . After picking myself off the floor I decided that I would do some searching on getting my own blubs and fit them.

Does anyone know where I can source some? the cheapest I found were £72 which is steep. I know people have source them from the USA for £40 to £50.

Also I am not sure which ones I need. I have seen Philips D4S 4300 but there are others with the D4S bulbs but with different K numbers i.e., 6000K.

Can some confirm the correct bulbs and where I can get them.

Thanks

Sounds more like a ballast problem if they're flickering?

I remember reading a brand called Garax was a decent alternative - think OEM is 4300K but if you want a different colour then you could always go for something else.

ballast problem..

Does this mean a whole new unit? I heard that this is very expensive around £800 to £900 each

I might try a bulb first..... does anyone have a trusted source for these bulbs? or I might leave it....

Thanks for the advice Parthiban.

ballast problem..

Does this mean a whole new unit? I heard that this is very expensive around £800 to £900 each

I might try a bulb first..... does anyone have a trusted source for these bulbs? or I might leave it....

Thanks for the advice Parthiban.

If it's ballasts its part of the headlight unit. Part is £600 per unit.

I needed two but done on extended warranty, although I went through the rigmorole of changing bulbs. I went for some imported philips D4S from the states at a fraction of the price but they were a different colour (more blue) than a philips D4S from Lexus / Toyota and one still flickered!. In the end I ended up paying nearly 400 quid on bulbs and fitting from Lexus to get things right.

There was a post here where a Lexus dealer has an alternative (HID) bulb for cars out of warranty. Worth a search.... Dont think it shows up directly on Lexux's part computer when they check.

I just change two ballasts on my headlights. Water was condensating inside and goes to the ballasts. So I get 2 ballasts from eBay, whitch cost me around 65 pounds with shipping, few hours of work and my headlights are working again..

If bulbs are ok, the only problem will be the ballast.

I just change two ballasts on my headlights. Water was condensating inside and goes to the ballasts. So I get 2 ballasts from ebay, whitch cost me around 65 pounds with shipping, few hours of work and my headlights are working again..

If bulbs are ok, the only problem will be the ballast.

How hard is it to change the Ballast? I have ordered a couple of cheap HID bulbs and see how I get on.

I will post back my findings. The left light is going off more freqently. The right is flickering.

How hard is it to change the Ballast? I have ordered a couple of cheap HID bulbs and see how I get on.

I will post back my findings. The left light is going off more freqently. The right is flickering.

Well You should open the headlight, I mean take of a clear part, whitch is quite dangerous, that You can damage clear plastic part. I just make a cut from the back to remove plug, I put screwdriver to make more space to remove plug with cable, I put new one and I glued with liquid plastic. After that I sealed with silicone all around, to stop water getting inside

I just fitted some cheapo bulbs which I got from e-bay £34 inc postage. I will let you know if my passenger light switches off. and the Drivers light flickers. Fingers crossed. I don't fancy replacing the ballest.

Well people good news and bad news on the replacement HID's....

I changed both.... to avoid the problem with mismatch colours....

Firstly my problem of the Passenger side light switching off is solved... Yes!

However now my Drivers side light switches off..... OH NO!

Contacted seller to see if he will replace a faulty bulb. But looks like once this is done it should be sorted.

Thanks for all your help guys and girls.

:flowers: