Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Pump Change...

AdeV

My replacement water pump & timing belt kit arrived this morning, hurrah! £137.76 from the States, including the dreaded VAT & post office fine (sorry, administration charge). The nearest UK equivalent would have been over £200...

Anyway, the water pump came with a very nice looking metal/rubber gasket. Looking at the LexLS tutorial for changing the timing belt & water pump, they use a very large quantity of "red sealant" (that silicone stuff that never quite sets) & didn't mention the gasket. Because I have this excellent gasket, will I actually need any sealant? Should I use some anyway, just as a precaution? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask the experts first...

All I need now is one of those harmonic pully puller things.... £15 from Machine Mart seems like a good deal... so long as the car makes it there & back without piddling all its water away.

Hi, interested to know what mileage you're changing the cambelt and waterpump at please. Is this the first change ?

Thanks.

Malc

My replacement water pump & timing belt kit arrived this morning, hurrah! £137.76 from the States, including the dreaded VAT & post office fine (sorry, administration charge). The nearest UK equivalent would have been over £200...

Anyway, the water pump came with a very nice looking metal/rubber gasket. Looking at the LexLS tutorial for changing the timing belt & water pump, they use a very large quantity of "red sealant" (that silicone stuff that never quite sets) & didn't mention the gasket. Because I have this excellent gasket, will I actually need any sealant? Should I use some anyway, just as a precaution? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd ask the experts first...

All I need now is one of those harmonic pully puller things.... £15 from Machine Mart seems like a good deal... so long as the car makes it there & back without piddling all its water away.

You might not need the puller, mine was loose enough once the nut is loose.

That's was the hard bit, the nut wss really tight.

I changed my belt at 61000, not done water pump.

The whole job was slow for me due to the amount of dismantling.

You might not need the puller, mine was loose enough once the nut is loose.

That's was the hard bit, the nut wss really tight.

I changed my belt at 61000, not done water pump.

The whole job was slow for me due to the amount of dismantling.

Ah well, I bought one anyway... better to have it & not need it, than not have it & be stuck...

Currently, I have dismantled as far as the alternator, but I can't seem to get the connector out of the back of it; it seems to be half smashed anyway, plus it's all drenched in PAS fluid (hmm, I really ought to fix that while I've got the thing apart). Figured I'd leave it for tonight & have another bash tomorrow.

Malc - Mileage is just over 200,000 (less than 201,000). The cam belt was previously changed at ~120K miles, and possibly earlier as well, I'd have to go digging in the history file. I'm not sure if the water pump has been done before or not.

So far, so good... more tomorrow...

Good luck for today then !

Probably the third cambelt change now and replacing the original waterpump. The year of your LS400 is ?

You've got to keep it now for at least another 60,000 miles. :hehe: ;)

Malc

Good luck for today then !

Probably the third cambelt change now and replacing the original waterpump. The year of your LS400 is ?

You've got to keep it now for at least another 60,000 miles. :hehe: ;)

Cheers Malc... I will need it I think. I've got about 70% of the way in so far, I can now see the timing belt in various places at least...

It does look like the 2nd cambelt - the first was done early at 55k, the second at 120k. I can't see any report of the water pump being changed, so I'd guess it's original.

I must admit... I bought a 2nd LS400 - L-plate again, but a Mk3; I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the Mk3 & break the Mk2; or vice versa.... unfortunately I got stopped for a cracked windscreen in the Mk2; so had to fix that, and with the water pump going, it pretty much guarantees I'll be driving the Mk2 for the next few years & breaking the Mk3... which has a massive exhaust leak somewhere north of the catalytic converters - i.e. a manifold = engine out to fix it.

So, there'll be some Mk3 bits up for sale soon :) I plan to keep the engine, and possibly some suspension parts, but most of the rest will be up for grabs...

Hi, good to know they really do last forever ( nearly ) then !

My now written-off MK11 was an 1st. August 94 on an M plate. Thought the Mk3 came in during later '94 ?

Is the exhaust leak really NOT JUST the flanges I wonder. One never hears of anything else with the exhausts you know

Malc

Hi, good to know they really do last forever ( nearly ) then !

My now written-off MK11 was an 1st. August 94 on an M plate. Thought the Mk3 came in during later '94 ?

Is the exhaust leak really NOT JUST the flanges I wonder. One never hears of anything else with the exhausts you know

It sure is, especially given how much stuff you have to disassemble to get to the damn thing...

Anyway, the job is now complete & the car back on the road, so-far drip free!

Things I've done:

- Water pump (obviously)

- Timing belt & both idler & tensioner

- Replaced O-ring on PAS reservoir & added a goodly dollop of liquid gasket; hopefully that'll cure the damn PAS leak forever

- Replaced dizzy caps & rotors (held over from when I did the spark plugs).

Things I've got left over:

- 1 bolt(!), must be from the fan bracket, but damned if I can work out where it should have gone

- The fan shroud, which I broke trying to re-fit it.

Right, off for a test drive :)

Malc - I've felt all around the cat flanges for the leak, & can't detect it. It's been mentioned it might be the EGR pipe fractured, I've yet to properly investigate that. However, Dad wants a few bits for his Mk3, I want just the engine, so I reckon I'll break it anyway. It only cost £600, I should be able to recoup that & have cash left over. And the engine will go on to do another 200K in my Granada :)

PS: Antifreeze...... any recommendations for good value but reliable stuff? I'm running plain water until I'm sure there are no leaks; but obviously I'll need to put some proper stuff in before long.

The water that came out was dark red (no, it's not blood, my car is not a vampire... feel free to call Buffy though), I presume any replacement should be similar.

Cheers!

Ade.

PS: Antifreeze...... any recommendations for good value but reliable stuff? I'm running plain water until I'm sure there are no leaks; but obviously I'll need to put some proper stuff in before long.

I always use the pre-mixed red coolant from Toyota. It's about £18 for 5 litres and you'll probably want 3 bottles.