Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Difference Btween Mk3 & Mk4?

Hello All

Just had the MOT and it's passed on everything except failing on the crack in the windscreen which I was expecting. My local independent windscreen chap came with a replacement which was going to be £246 all in, VAT and fitting (which I was pretty happy with). But when he offered it up he was worried it didn't look right. In his book he has only two options, one for models to 1994 then one to fit 94-2000. I told him there was a change in body with the Mk4 and he can't seem to find it. I've called round and other places only have the two options as well.

So my question is, are the Mk3 and Mk4 windscreens the same? He did not spend long offering up before he headed off to get more info.

I can't get the job done on insurance by the way as I'm third party only.

Loving my car by the way... had it 5 months now and I'm still grinning from ear to ear when I'm driving!

Stu

I don't know for sure, but I'd not be surprised. Lexus usually change a high % of stuff in each model, despite apparent similarity!

Will the local Lex dealer know?

Good luck. At least you'll not have any age-related glare afterwards!

From Wikipedia:

'Debuted in September 1997 as a 1998 model, the revised LS 400 was introduced with a five-speed automatic transmission, increased engine output (to 216 kilowatts (290 hp), with variable valve timing (VVT-i), and an added 41 newton metres (30 ft·lbf) of torque.[42] Acceleration times and fuel economy were improved as a result.[42] The suspension and steering also received minor tweaks to improve feel and handling.[55] Stylistically, the vehicle sported a new front fascia, side mirrors, and wheels;[42] a rear windshield diversity antenna replaced the conventional power mast.'

No mention of any other styling changes, and I assumed that apart from the grille and headlights the bodies of the Mk.III and Mk.IV were the same.

Although the mechanics are mostly the same , there is external differences.

From my own experiance the bonnets are different shape/angles so could well be a different screen.

Had my mk4 screen replaced on the insurance last year , lol @ £750 with autoglass (plus my £50 excess).

I guess the mk4 having optional rain sensors my indicate a different screen too ?

Hi Stu

I break the Ls400s Mk1 to Mk4

My experience is they are the same MK3 + 4

About a year ago a customer requested a front screen for a Mk4 which I did not have

but I had 1 for a Mk3, which I supplied to him

a few months later I had to deliver some more parts to him and he said it fitted without a problem

Maurice

stage-1@tiscali.co.uk

07957 530340

Hi Chaps

Thanks for your replies.

Wow... £750 with Autoglass on insurance... I guess it did have the rain sensor. Autoglass quoted me £430 but I don't have rain sensors... but I do worry at just how much these rip off companies add on when it's an insurance job!! We are all paying for the execs at the top of these companies to get richer and richer while they send out low paid workers to do the work... it stinks. Ermmm... off topic :blush:

Benfur... thanks for that info, useful and seems to concur with what another local independent windscreen fitter has told me. Not only that... his quote is £186 all in... now that's my kind of language :winky: . He's coming on Monday to do the job, I'll let you know how it goes. I stressed to him that I did not want any YTS Quick Fit merchants doing the fitting and he assured me he's had 25 years doing windscreens and the job will be sweet! Fingers crossed.

Looking forward to crystal clear vision.... when the sun is shining through my current one it certainly shows it's age! B)

Stu

Hi Stu

About a year ago a customer requested a front screen for a Mk4 which I did not have

a few months later I had to deliver some more parts to him and he said it fitted without a problem

Maurice

stage-1@tiscali.co.uk

07957 530340

Hi Chaps

Thanks for your replies.

Wow... £750 with Autoglass on insurance... I guess it did have the rain sensor. Autoglass quoted me £430 but I don't have rain sensors... but I do worry at just how much these rip off companies add on when it's an insurance job!! We are all paying for the execs at the top of these companies to get richer and richer while they send out low paid workers to do the work... it stinks. Ermmm... off topic :blush:

Benfur... thanks for that info, useful and seems to concur with what another local independent windscreen fitter has told me. Not only that... his quote is £186 all in... now that's my kind of language :winky: . He's coming on Monday to do the job, I'll let you know how it goes. I stressed to him that I did not want any YTS Quick Fit merchants doing the fitting and he assured me he's had 25 years doing windscreens and the job will be sweet! Fingers crossed.

Looking forward to crystal clear vision.... when the sun is shining through my current one it certainly shows it's age! B)

Stu

Hi

Stu i have been following this thread with interest - my screen is also showing the usual signs of age and was thinking of getting it replaced - however i have read somewhere that others have experienced an increase in road noise after fitting aftermarket windscreens - perhaps you could post on here once your windscreen is fitted as to wether you notice any difference in noise or not.

many thanks in advance

regards

miq

Hi Stu

Maurice

stage-1@tiscali.co.uk

07957 530340

Hi

Stu i have been following this thread with interest - my screen is also showing the usual signs of age and was thinking of getting it replaced - however i have read somewhere that others have experienced an increase in road noise after fitting aftermarket windscreens - perhaps you could post on here once your windscreen is fitted as to wether you notice any difference in noise or not.

many thanks in advance

Hi Miq,

I had mine done (by Autoglass) a few weeks back - can't say I noticed any change in noise levels, but the visibilty improvement was quite marked.

HTH!

Indeed Miq... I've also read about the increase in road noise with a new windscreen... I stressed the cabin is quiet and I want it to stay that way, so fingers crossed!

Stu

Hi Chaps

Thanks for your replies.

Stu

Hi

many thanks in advance

regards

miq

Hi Stu

Maurice

stage-1@tiscali.co.uk

07957 530340