Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D Heaters Not Working

hi new to this forum so hello everyone,

recently bought a 2008 (57 plate) is220d, love the car,

the heaters aren't heating up until well into a journey when the engine is warm and the car is over 2000rpm, the engine temperature gauge is around half way but then will suddendly clime to high in the red and then the heaters work and the gauge drops to just over half and back up to high intermittently please tell me there is an easy fix!!!!!

Blown Head Gasket? Should be a 7 year 100K warranty me thinks.

the heaters aren't heating up until well into a journey when the engine is warm and the car is over 2000rpm, the engine temperature gauge is around half way but then will suddendly clime to high in the red and then the heaters work and the gauge drops to just over half and back up to high intermittently please tell me there is an easy fix!!!!!

joking my car no longer falls in the extended warranty period, although it is only 3 years old it has done a mammouth 132 000 miles.

thanks for the reply though

Are there signs of coolant leakage from the expansion tank near the radiator (f/n/s)? Is there a big whoosh when you take the cap off? Does it keep having a low level even though you top it up? (Due to excessive pressure caused by gas leakage and the relief valve activating)

I'd check if it under warranty as I'm not 100% that it is 100K.

joking my car no longer falls in the extended warranty period, although it is only 3 years old it has done a mammouth 132 000 miles.

thanks for the reply though

left the car running on the drive to see what occurs under the bonnnet.

after a couple of mins - coolant resivoir seems empty

after five mins - level of coolant starts to rise

after six to seven mins - coolant starts to boil and escapes through overflow pipe from cap

car still seems to run ok the majority of the time but will lose its grunt on some occasions when temp rises.

when the cap is taken off coolant tank when cooled down there is a large whoosh and the pressure can be felt.

checked with Lexus and the warranty period is up to 111 000 miles.

thanks for your replies

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My IS220D 57 plate with 115,000 miles suffered the same symptoms. Owned from new and serviced every 10k, I purchased the extended warrantee. It was diagnosed as the head gasket ! The warrantee company decided that the gasket was not a 'mechanical part' and it took intervention at senior Lexus level to get them to pay for the 6K repair bill !

Decided to cut my losses and traded it in for a IS250C :-)

Good luck

• 4 months later...

Hi, can anyone provide any further assistance with this issue?

I've had my 2007 IS220d for about 9 months and a few months ago I encountered this same problem. After taking it to a few local garages (I do not live near a Lexus one)

and having the water pump and other various parts replaced. I was informed (only because one of the garages called Lexus) it could / probably is the head gasket.

The response was it is a common fault with this model and they had aleady had a few queries. I'm assuming due to the bad weather people are only now noticing the heaters not working correctly.

After reading the various posts I cant understand how a car with such a great reputation for quality and reliablilty can have such major / expensive common fault. And, I think we can all agree, a car of around 4 years of age or less should not require 000's to be spent on repairs. It seems its down to luck whether this fault orrucurs regardless of service history, extended waranties or mileage.

I'm planning to persue this with Lexus. I'd be grateful if anyone could add new information relating to their problem and what, if any, assistance Lexus provided.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys, I have a 220d I bought it as an ex demo and have clocked 113,000 miles in 2 1/2 years, its been solid until a mont or so ago when the exact same thing happend to me, the temp gauge suddenly raced to the top and back again, I stopped and let the engine cool, put about 1/2 a litre of water in the car and drove home.

All seemed ok driving only the heaters stopped working, now I am putting between a 1/2 and 1 litre of water in the tank regularly.

Same diagnosis, signs of water boiling out of the expansion tank, hissing and suction when I open the cap.

I haven't got a full service history with Lexus and have only had major services at 20-25,000 miles so guess i'm gonna have less luck than you guys.

I will ring Lexus and ask what they are going to do about it and will keep you posted, let me know how you guys get on.

Cheers

you dont need a full history...its a very common fault on lexus/toyota i myself have done more engines than i care to remember...im a toyota licenced tec....after all the is220 engine started life in a rav4

Hi All

I contacted my local dealer and he was very aware of the fault, however the car must have both a full Lexus Service History and be under 180,000 klm, (111,800 mls).

My car has done 112,500 miles and has not a Full Service History,

To cut a long story short, the customer relations (should be renamed Customer "I dont" Care)wouldnt budge, I was 700 miles over and the point was they have to cut off somewhere, I spoke again to the local dealer whos advise is wash off the tell tale signs under the bonnet and sell the car.

I for one will never own a Lexus again !

Hi All

I contacted my local dealer and he was very aware of the fault, however the car must have both a full Lexus Service History and be under 180,000 klm, (111,800 mls).

My car has done 112,500 miles and has not a Full Service History,

To cut a long story short, the customer relations (should be renamed Customer "I dont" Care)wouldnt budge, I was 700 miles over and the point was they have to cut off somewhere, I spoke again to the local dealer whos advise is wash off the tell tale signs under the bonnet and sell the car.

I for one will never own a Lexus again !

I don't know if you have done this.. but I would definitely write to Lexus UK detailing your problem and expressing your grievance. In fact you should consider taking them to court over this. I'd certainly have a chat with a solicitor, but take all your gathered info with you at that point. Don't think Lexus would have a leg to stand on as this is such a widely known problem. Servicing at an independant is no grounds to throw out your claim, the 110,000 clause is wooly to say the least. A dodgy head gasket will go no matter who services the car. This is a manufacturing/bad design issue from the minute the engine is put into the car and nothing to do with servicing abilities of independants. I had 6 lexus stamps and mine still went..so are we saying their own trained Lexus technicians are incompetent too? Don't think they'd like to have that levelled at themselves.

Search through this forum and read all posts relating to Head Gasket issues. You will gain a lot of valuable information from them.

As for the local dealers advice, he has just done a massive disservice to his industry and has merely reinforced the 'dodgy trader syndrome'. Maybe Clarkson would suggest he ought to be lined up and shot... I could not possibly comment. :whistling:

If ever there was a case for a general recall this has to meet the criteria.

[snip]

checked with Lexus and the warranty period is up to 111 000 miles.

thanks for your replies

I have the same problem, my mileage is 110750, I am worried that I will not be able to get it into a dealer before I hit 111,000 miles, with the Xmas hols et al, and Lexus Wolverhampton aren't answering their phones today.

How rigid is the mileage?

Hi all, just to let you know the excellent "customer service" did kick in. After a few nervous days, I received a call authorising all the corrective work to be carried out.

It took about 3 or 4 days but got the car back and its now night and day. Cant thank the staff at Lexus and in particular Lexus Edinburgh enough. Very professional, courteous and understanding.

Only done about 100 miles since the fix but couldnt be happier.

Well took my '06 IS220D to Lexus Wolverhampton yesterday and they have confirmed carbon build up on pistons and the work will be covered under warranty. Not too sure how this equates with heating issue but I guess the head gasket will be replaced. Have a courtesy car CT200 hybrid, which is nice, got to find a dog cage for the boot now. Small price to pay I guess.

I talked to lexus dealer today about that is220 head gasket problem. He told me that is250 v6 gaskets are more common to fail than 220 diesel ones.

In my country is220 head gasket failures are very very rare, so I really dont see why some of the UK spec engines are so bad.

Full replace with labour is 280.-(3-4 hours) euros at my dealer, if the car is out of warranty.

This is not so expensive, I cant belive you whine and slander is220 engine so badly over such a minor failure. The waterpump was like 240.- eur to replace.

Edited by janey
Insukting remarks - moderator preview now put in place

Allan1, its not a headgasket problem, the head gasket can be replaced for £ 1,300 the problem is carbon build up on the pistons which to rectify the fault need replacement, this requiers the engine out and a full strip down to replace the pistons and without knowing which country you are from I would guess even your mechanics can't do that in 3-4 hours !

Had our 220d since April 2011 07 car

Girlfriend actually broke down and needed roadside assistance from the AA I had it recovered to a local garage as the VSC light was on along with the engine management light, The AA Mechanic plugged in his Tech tool with a read out of a fuel filter fault.

Local garage called Lexus Milton Keynes and they was very aware of an engine fualt, I was asked to contact them.

The car has done 98500 miles and it was overdue a service by some 5000miles with a full Lexus service history. I was promted the car would need to be serviced with them now for the car to be covered on the 7yr warranty.

Dealer has been very helpful Called them on the 19th Dec it was in there on the 21st They still have the car expected to collect in the new year.

Does anybody know if the engine repair is to rectify a fualt or is it just a fix, i mean will i get this problem again in another 90k do i need to think about selling it within 60000miles of the repair.

I dont want to sell the car I bought a Lexus for reliability in 15yrs of driving some 40 cars owned never have i ever had to tow a car into a main dealer.

Porsche would offer to collect my car i here you all cry "You pay through the nose on a Porsche service" Not true around £300 on a anual service.

• 1 year later...

Please do help everyone! I have had 2 IS220D's. Both have had heater problems. Lexus just checked my first vehicle and said nothing was wrong. It took an inordinate time to heat up. My Honda Civic heated very quickly. Now Lexus is supposed to be the quality car. My second Lexus has developed a heater fault that many of you also report. Lexus remain silent stating these faults are out of warranty in a lot of cases. Clearly there are design faults. My Hondas were as solid as a rock, with one exception, and that was fixed free of charge and they accepted responsibility for a sub-standard supplier issue replacing the faulty components free of charge. That same issue occurred with my first Lexus IS220D. They denied everything, wriggled for years, also denying a clear substandard quality issue, offering me a half price set of replacement wheels of those already replaced with the same issue! I demurred and had the wheels resurfaced brlliantly for half the price. Repeat issues? No, problem solved by a local small company, shaming Lexus,

Lexus owners, we do need to shame this giant company into being responsible for design faults and sub-standard product. In America, Lexus jump. In the UK, where they sell with higher prices ... nothing. The Japanese are justly a proud people, and the senior directors would be mortified to know their middle managers are covering up design issues and sub-standard quality. The heater in the Lexus IS 220D is just one of those cases. Does anyone have a very senior contact in Toyota/Lexus ?

I'll be prepared to follow this rather unfortunate situation to a conclusion and publish Lexus replies on this forum.

Regards