Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Key Stolen

Hi Loc members!!!

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section

My house recently got burgled and they stole my spare keys and my Lexus IS200 (I only had it barely for 2 months), and the car has been recovered and the police are currently doing forensics on the car.

I have still got the master key.

After I have inspected the car at the compound, I will decide if I want to keep it or not.

Options

1. Get the master key reprogrammed and get a set of spares made. Since the criminal has still got the spare key, I believe they cannot, unlock the car, open the boot or even open the glove compartment, but if they can start the ignition the alarm will go off.

2. Claim it off the insurance and get the locks etc changed.

I don't know what to do next.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

they will still be able to gain entry using the key in the lock....

also your car will prob be very close to written off if you change all the locks ecu ignition etc as the cost is well over £1500......

Ahh thats roughly the same figure I got when I researched about the replacing the car keys etc.

I only had the car for less than 2 months :(

what you could do is just change the boot lock and the door lock as you wont be using them anyway(keep the key you get with the lock in the house) as you push the button to open the doors...then just get your keys recoded which will knock out the stolen set.....

ooorrr you could be the first to try my idea out...... buy a drivers side rear door handle and fit it to the drives side front.......why you ask???that will delock your car...

IIRC Parthiban had a similar issue and went down the insurance route. As said above the bill was not cheap! :crybaby:

Agreed, delock it and recode the current keys, it'll be your cheapest option out of this situation.

Just got my car back from the compound.

Left wing mirror damaged. The housing is gone plus the mirror & Motor looks damaged.

Rear View mirror broken. I don't know why they broke it. I can't seem to put it back on, it seems like some other part is missing.

I was fearing the car to be in a much more terrible state.

Just got my car back from the compound.

Left wing mirror damaged. The housing is gone plus the mirror & Motor looks damaged.

Rear View mirror broken. I don't know why they broke it. I can't seem to put it back on, it seems like some other part is missing.

I was fearing the car to be in a much more terrible state.

Post up a couple of pics of the 'broken' areas and maybe we can better advise.. :blush:

Glad to have her back?

photo1ks.jpg

photo2rob.jpg

photo3dg.jpg

I can't figure out why the heck did they break my rear view mirror.

photo4qr.jpg

photo5hl.jpg

How do I put the rear view mirror back on?

The main issue is still the locks.

Does the side mirror still folding in and out electrically ok? If it does then you can just buy the back cover and glass mirror (they both clip on).

Re the rear view mirror itself it seems fine, nothing is missing. What may be the problem is the round attachment fitted to the windscreen. Sometimes the grooves on those get worn (can you focus on it and get a clearer picture please, it's blurred and so I can't tell you definitively) and so the mirrors don't fit back tightly. Offer up the mirror 45degrees anticlockwise and while it's up against the glass turn the mirror clockwise, it should then lock onto the windscreen.

Re the locks you've got a couple of options as suggested, delocking or those keys of eBay...

Thanks for your advice Purvesh, I have managed to put the rear view mirror back on and it's sturdy as before.

The side mirror opens in and out perfectly. the motor to control the position seems to be OK.

I'm just going to buy the whole passenger side mirror second hand, and just un-clip the parts I need (Like the mirror part and the housing).

If I were to replace the whole unit of the side mirror, should any Lexus is200 side mirrors fit right?

What about the heated mirror isn't there some special wiring?

As for the keys I'm still confused lol

1. Buy Lexus IS200SE full lock set, and take it to a garage and get them changed over. Reprogramme the master key and get it copied.

2. Just get the key reprogrammed and that will cancel the old keys out but they will still have access to the car.

3. Delocking?? what's that lol

Ah good news on the rear view mirror front :)

Yeah all the IS mirrors should be the same, you should be able to find a silver one through 24/7 spares. They should all be heated, I'd say just buy the mirror and transfer the silver backing cover and glass to the current mirror. That way it would save you having to take the door card off etc.

I'd say go for option one and DIY fit the locks (not that difficult) and just have the dealership program it for you, you have both keys aswell. This will then be like OEM.

OR you can delock the car like Ormi mentioned in post #5 where by you can change the drivers door handle for one without a lock, that way they can't access the car unless they break the window but even then they won't be able to start the car.

Hi just a update.

I got the mirror replaced but it was the wrong one. Possibly because it was a early model one.

I have changed the drivers door key barrel. So now I can just recode the keys right?

I phoned up Lexus, woodford green, and they said the car has only one code... so I would have to get the complete lock set changed?...Is that true

I phoned up Lexus, woodford green, and they said the car has only one code... so I would have to get the complete lock set changed?...Is that true

That's a good question, I'm not too sure on how it works but the keys are coded to the ECU so perhaps that might be true. I think the question here would be can the system be told to forget all the keys and then just re-code the ones you have - that way the stolen one won't work any more.

Apologies if I'm completely wrong.

Ok I have booked an appointment with Lexus, Sidcup,Kent, for next week.

£69.00 to recode the keys.

£86.00 for a master key

£83.00 Spare/Valet Key

I chose to have the keys reprogrammed and another master key all for £155.71 inc VAT.

£86.00 for a master key

£83.00 Spare/Valet Key

I chose to have the keys reprogrammed and another master key all for £155.71 inc VAT.

So they will change your ignition barrel and boot lock aswell?

£86.00 for a master key

£83.00 Spare/Valet Key

So they will change your ignition barrel and boot lock aswell?

Nope. Just to cancel the spare key and recode new keys.

Interesting, but i thought that a new code couldnt be generated?

(as in the keys and code for the imobiler are unique and paired), so that all the keys could be deleted off the imobiliser, but as the code for the imobiliser is the same, the keys will just be recoded with the same code-and will be the same as the stolen key still?

Interesting if it can be done like this as then if you have a missing master key then you can have it sorted for the prices quoted above.

(however, in my experience, this is not the case as it would be a viable alternative to those not having master keys...)

J