Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Replacement Windscreen For My Mk4 Ls400

Dear All

I thought I might start a new thread as the new title will be more relevant and useful in future searches on the subject.

In brief: I'm TPFT insurance so I'm having to pay for a new one as the old failed the MOT with a big crack. Autoglass quoted £430, the "experienced" independents £246 and £186 all in VAT and fitting. The £240 guy came but was not confident he had the right one, the other guys at £186 came and fitted one on Monday. I said I'd let you know how I got on.... so the MK3 & Mk4 do indeed seem to share the same windscreen shape as far as the after market windscreens go.

I had stressed I did not want teenagers turning up to do the job and stressed i did not want to hear any extra wind noise with the new screen and indeed, the main man came with 25 years experience and with his sidekick of 5 years experience. After an hour they announced they were done, just one problem, the boy had dropped a tool down into the the engine bay and he could not reach it. No problem i said, I gave them my telescopic driver with magnet on the end for just such a problem. They managed to knock the tool and retrieve it and handed me back my telescopic. I noticed it was missing the last telescopic section (about 8cm long plus a small magnet) so we went about searching the ground, but i was worried it was stuck somewhere in the engine. I started the engine and there was a squealing grating noise :tsktsk: !!!!! I stayed calm and we all tried to locate the item in the engine bay. Time passed and they were starting to loose interest, then they tried to tell me it sounded like dry bearing etc etc. Then I noticed the wipers had not been fitted back so they disappeared nicely behind the hood. So they had a go at that, but could not get them to get them perfect as they were. I grew tired of them, paid them their £186 and was glad to see the back of them deciding to sort the wipers myself. I spent another 10 minutes and finally located the missing tool stuck inside my engine bay!!!! :P

But worst of all I drove it for the first time today since the new screen and there is a considerable increase in wind noise above 40mph. I can see a small 1-2mm gap in the seal on the drivers side seal, the side the boy did, the side the other guy did is good. I'm not going to take it back to them as I can't bear any more. I'm going to try applying a tiny amount of black silicone in any gaps I can see. I don't think it will notice at all and i'm fairly confident it will sort it.

Oh I forgot to mention they must have nudged the interior light to on during the work and my Battery was flat when i came to start her up today!!!! Good job i had a spare Battery and the security code handy :duh:

In conclusion... dont' replace your windscreen unless you really have to.

Regards

Stuart

By the way, how much extra would the fully comprehensive insurance have been ?

Mine was changed recently at Autoglass with a £50 excess.

Thanks.

Malc

I watched the autoglass guy change mine , did it by himself in about 30 mins.

droped it in with two suction thingys and taped it up , and said dont touch for a few hours.

he didnt touch the wipers , just held them out the way by taping to the top of the bonnet.

road noise same (ie none) and visibility 100% better.

I'd recoment picking the trim back out and filling with as much window bond as you can fit in (silicone sealant I suspect may keep the water out , but not much else).

Stuart, if you don't manage to seal the screen yourself you might try Auto Windscreens on the corner of Camden Street and Wellington Road (on the coast road through Shoreham/Portslade). The guy there (with a silver Prius) was very helpful the other day in fixing the rubber skirt under my front air dam, and I imagine he'd make sure your screen is sealed. I don't know his name but the phone number's (01273) 439030.

Hi Scribe. How you doing? Many thanks for that info. I've managed to cure the noise, as I suspected, the silicone has neatly filled the tiny 1mm gap between the seal and screen where it had not been put back perfectly. I'm back to the super quiet Lex LS400 cabin! :hehe: It's amazing how much noise can be caused by such a tiny gap!

Still looking out for your Lex on the roads down here Scribe :winky:

Stu

Stuart, if you don't manage to seal the screen yourself you might try Auto Windscreens on the corner of Camden Street and Wellington Road (on the coast road through Shoreham/Portslade). The guy there (with a silver Prius) was very helpful the other day in fixing the rubber skirt under my front air dam, and I imagine he'd make sure your screen is sealed. I don't know his name but the phone number's (01273) 439030.