Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Have I Bought A Lemon?

Hi guys. I would love to hear your opinions on my recent purchase. I picked up an 08 plate RX400h last Saturday. Although I'm loving the space, pace and refinement I have got some issues.

1. The drivers door check strap makes a loud(ish) CLACK-CLACK sound on opening closing.

2. On the first day the passenger side Windows would not open or close using the drivers door switch. Although this seems to have sorted itself out.

3. Four days after I getting it the steering started making horrible creaking noises on turning. The noise comes from the front passenger side. I took it back to the dealer and they have diagnosed a worn passenger side top suspension mount and are sorting it out.

I am concerned that the door noise and suspension problem points to the car having lived a hard life in its 3 years and 45k miles. Luckily its an approved car with a years warranty but these problems are worrying.

What are your thoughts?

Hi guys. I would love to hear your opinions on my recent purchase. I picked up an 08 plate RX400h last Saturday. Although I'm loving the space, pace and refinement I have got some issues.

1. The drivers door check strap makes a loud(ish) CLACK-CLACK sound on opening closing.

2. On the first day the passenger side Windows would not open or close using the drivers door switch. Although this seems to have sorted itself out.

3. Four days after I getting it the steering started making horrible creaking noises on turning. The noise comes from the front passenger side. I took it back to the dealer and they have diagnosed a worn passenger side top suspension mount and are sorting it out.

I am concerned that the door noise and suspension problem points to the car having lived a hard life in its 3 years and 45k miles. Luckily its an approved car with a years warranty but these problems are worrying.

What are your thoughts?

Hello, I do hope that the years warranty you have is with a Lexus main dealer, otherwise with a car like this, you could have some expensive problems, either way, if you are unhappy, then just keep taking it back to the dealer until you ARE happy. I would also start filling that spare coins jar in the kitchen and purchase a proper Lexus extended warranty. I bought Lexus extended warranty right up to the 7th year when they no longer offer it at that age and it was WELL worth it....good luck.

Yep. Thankfully it is the full Lexus warranty. I may well extend it next year if this carries on. I still have two years left on the hybrid power train warranty.

Just a little disappointed as from everything I heard the rx should be one of the more reliable cars in its class. And I would have expected the Lexus approved checks before sale to have picked up suspension wear like this.

The dealer is being very prompt and helpful so let's hope this is just a little hiccup.

Just a quick update

The steering noise was diagnosed as a worn suspension top mount and sorted out swiftly by the dealer, along with the door check strap which fixed the door noise.

Top marks for Lexus Leicester. They gave me an 11 plate IS200d as a loan car for a couple of days while they got the parts in, and although it feels very light on its feet, it was nice to get back in the RX!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update

The steering noise was diagnosed as a worn suspension top mount and sorted out swiftly by the dealer, along with the door check strap which fixed the door noise.

Top marks for Lexus Leicester. They gave me an 11 plate IS200d as a loan car for a couple of days while they got the parts in, and although it feels very light on its feet, it was nice to get back in the RX!

Its great to here of a dealer doing a proper job!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links