Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I am a proud owner of a IS250 SE-L Auto(06 plate) of just three months - yesterday whilst driving a warning appeared stating that the Key Was Not Recognised - Thought this a bit weared as I was actually in motion at the time but decided that maybe the Battery in the remote key needed changing. Changed the Battery for a new one but still the warning appeared - could not lock the car (only manually) and could only start it by placing the key fob next to the ignition switch (as per hand-book instructions) - thought this a bit weared so I tried the spare key - same result. Now while this was all going on the Low Fuel warning light was on (as expected as I was waiting for that to happen just to check all was in order). Now this is the freaky bit - Having got the car started (as per manual) I decided that I might as well re-fuel, from that time onward all was well - both my key's worked normally and obviously the fuel warning light was out.

Are the two connected - is this a way to double warn the driver that you need to refuel and make life awkward until you do so.

????????????????????? Rob

I am a proud owner of a IS250 SE-L Auto(06 plate) of just three months - yesterday whilst driving a warning appeared stating that the Key Was Not Recognised - Thought this a bit weared as I was actually in motion at the time but decided that maybe the battery in the remote key needed changing. Changed the battery for a new one but still the warning appeared - cold not lock the car (only manually) and could only start it by placing the key fob next to the ignition switch (as per hand-book instructions) - thought this a bit weared so I tried the spare key - same result. Now while this was all going on the Low Fuel warning light was on (as expected as I was waiting for that to happen just to check all was in order). Now this is the freaky bit - Having got the car started (as per manual) I decided that I might as well re-fuel, from that time onward all was well - both my key's worked normally and obviously the fuel warning light was out.

Are the two connected - is this a way to double warn the driver that you need to refuel and make life awkward until you do so.

????????????????????? Rob

Seaside Shuffle - This is soooo spooky!!!!.

I have a 2007 is220d - yesterday the same thing happened to - well almost - I came to get into my car and the fob would not open the door. So I took off the manual key to get in and set the alarm off. I didnt know that you could place the fob next to the ignition switch to start it (tried the handbook which is as thick as a telephone directory but had to rely on the AA and Lexus bolton to tell me this). Anyway they told me that the radio codes in the fob had some way been altered (by a nearby electronic device!!!) and that if I drove the vehicle and then left it the fob would right itself. It seemed to but I came to get in it today - and the same thing happened - very annoying!!!.

I went through the same rigmarole (no doubt by now upsetting all the neighbours when the alarm keep going off) - went and got new batteries for both of my fobs which Lexus said would right the radio signals and car seem OK now (fingers crossed for the next time I get in)

Still spooky though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I have a 7.5 ton Iveco horsebox which has never given me any trouble - now I have darned radio signals to contend with in the Lexus!!!!)

• 6 months later...

This problem seems to be happening on my IS220D SEL!

No problems before, lived in the same house for years with no issues.

Over the last few weeks had a couple of times when fobs, door handles and start button wont work.

Hasnt happened anywhere else and can sometimes only not work for half hour then totally fine for days.

Two diff key fobs both new batteries.

Any ideas what is likely to cause the interference?

I do live on a housing estate but not that built up.

This problem seems to be happening on my IS220D SEL!

No problems before, lived in the same house for years with no issues.

Over the last few weeks had a couple of times when fobs, door handles and start button wont work.

Hasnt happened anywhere else and can sometimes only not work for half hour then totally fine for days.

Two diff key fobs both new batteries.

Any ideas what is likely to cause the interference?

I do live on a housing estate but not that built up.

When this happened to me in June, I was asked by Lexus Bolton if I lived anywhere near some one with electronic gates or doors - the answer was no. They couldnt give any other explaination but said it was a common fault. I was also told not to keep my fob near to my mobile phone.

I was told by Lexus how to reset it (although it is on something like page 352 of the manual!!)and that I had to drive around for at least 6 minutes?? to allow the radio codes to reset themselves?. I was also advised to change the batteries in my fob (I bought 3 batteries just in case!!)

I must admit since June I have had no issues with the key fob and getting in/started (I have had issues- getting up an icy incline with the dreaded rear wheel drive!! despite having winter tyres on - pants!!).

Perhaps your car will just sort itself out like mine!!

This happened to me last year. There was a construction going on near my home. The keyfob uses 433 mhz frequency which is used by many other transmitters as well and this frequency band is not very well regulated. the bigger problem is that the lexus receiver in the car is very sensitive, so your keyfob works from a very long distance without having a proper antenna on it at all. however this sensitivity means that any other transmission can through it off completely . I had to drive using the keyfob next to the start button and opening and locking car using metal key for some days. When the construction was completed and the builders went away, so did the culprit noise signal. My theory is that they were using some cheap remote security system or something like that that was continuously transmitting in the 433 mhz band

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=68205&st=0&p=727753&fromsearch=1entry727753

This happened to me last year. There was a construction going on near my home. The keyfob uses 433 mhz frequency which is used by many other transmitters as well and this frequency band is not very well regulated. the bigger problem is that the lexus receiver in the car is very sensitive, so your keyfob works from a very long distance without having a proper antenna on it at all. however this sensitivity means that any other transmission can through it off completely . I had to drive using the keyfob next to the start button and opening and locking car using metal key for some days. When the construction was completed and the builders went away, so did the culprit noise signal. My theory is that they were using some cheap remote security system or something like that that was continuously transmitting in the 433 mhz band

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=68205&st=0&p=727753&fromsearch=1entry727753

I had a similar problem with my car in the hotel carpark where I was staying on holiday last year.

I put it down to a nearby mobile phone mast, although that might not have been the cause of the problem. I also discovered that if I stood at a very specific spot in the car park (about 20 yards away from the car!) then I could reliably unlock it with the fob.

Totally bizarre.

• 8 months later...

I've just had exactly the same thing happen to me on the marina at Hartlepool !......

So I entered using the manual key and started the car using the next to the start button trick.....and drove off to get a new Battery.

Car then locked/unlocked everywhere using the old Battery...until I returned to the marina, where I couldn't lock the car with the fob. Swapped batteries....no luck, so I can only assume that the signal gets blocked at the marina......

And still working fine on the old remote control Battery 2 days later.

So of anyone else has this problem, here's an idiots guide.......

Remove lock cover

Unlock car

Get deafened by alarm

Open door in a panic

Place fob next to start button

Depress clutch/brake as appropriate

When light goes green press start

Alarm will stop after a shortish while

Drive away from the location

maybe to Halfords for a new Battery

Well, that's basically what I did!!.......when I then started driving away from the marina, the key not detected legend disappeared off the dashboard....and didn't reappear until I returned to the marina.

Mrs jerome says Hartlepool marina is haunted...lol