Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is My Clutch Slipping

tapstaps

hie guys!!!

so i got a 72k mile is200 today in Birmingham and me being stupid i ddnt test drive the but had the engine started and all.everything looked perfect.it was a bargain though.so as i drove like 2 mins later i noticed my clutch might have been slipping.could have taken the car back but i figured it wont cost much to sort it out.my gear lever was shaking as well,but the odd thing i seemed not to be moving fast at maybe 60mhp@ 3500revs.i did not smell any burning of the clutch, so i decided to stick to 3000revs till i got home.slowest drives of my life. lol.

before i order a clutch kit is it possible it could be something else or its definitely it.i dont want to order a clutch kit and realise the one there was still ok...i also noticed i could make a turn in the 5th gear and not choke.

if any of u guys could drive in the 6th gear at 60mph could you tell me how much revs you do.

thanks for feedback in advance

hie guys!!!

so i got a 72k mile is200 today in Birmingham and me being stupid i ddnt test drive the but had the engine started and all.everything looked perfect.it was a bargain though.so as i drove like 2 mins later i noticed my clutch might have been slipping.could have taken the car back but i figured it wont cost much to sort it out.my gear lever was shaking as well,but the odd thing i seemed not to be moving fast at maybe 60mhp@ 3500revs.i did not smell any burning of the clutch, so i decided to stick to 3000revs till i got home.slowest drives of my life. lol.

before i order a clutch kit is it possible it could be something else or its definitely it.i dont want to order a clutch kit and realise the one there was still ok...i also noticed i could make a turn in the 5th gear and not choke.

if any of u guys could drive in the 6th gear at 60mph could you tell me how much revs you do.

Find a longish hill. Drive at 30 mph in 4th or 5th gear. Put your foot down and if the revs go up without the speed increasing it is clutch-slip for sure. There won't be any smell unless you keep slipping it which is a bad idea because it can damage the expensive flywheel surface - hopefully this hasn't happened already and usually shows by clutch take-up when pulling off being excessively juddery.

There is a very faint chance that the clutch is not releasing properly when you take your foot off it - just make sure nothing is stopping the pedal coming fully up or (extremely unlikely) the clutch slave cylinder is sticking before it fully releases.

The final and worst possibility is that the clutch-plate is oiled because the rear main bearing (or gearbox drive-shaft) oil-seal is leaking. Not common these days and always shows by oil permanently dribbling out of the bottom of the bell-housing.

actually did that my revs were bout 4000 doing about 40mph in 5th gear.ive already bought the kit for replacement. will arrive on tuesday will take it in on Wednesday.feeling sorry for the car really. will post again when fixed.

£370 just for the fitting or is that for the clutch and fitting? I know how u feel, the pain of 106's full of people flying past me on the motorway, its so painful

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hie guys!!!

Find a longish hill. Drive at 30 mph in 4th or 5th gear. Put your foot down and if the revs go up without the speed increasing it is clutch-slip for sure. There won't be any smell unless you keep slipping it which is a bad idea because it can damage the expensive flywheel surface - hopefully this hasn't happened already and usually shows by clutch take-up when pulling off being excessively juddery.

There is a very faint chance that the clutch is not releasing properly when you take your foot off it - just make sure nothing is stopping the pedal coming fully up or (extremely unlikely) the clutch slave cylinder is sticking before it fully releases.

The final and worst possibility is that the clutch-plate is oiled because the rear main bearing (or gearbox drive-shaft) oil-seal is leaking. Not common these days and always shows by oil permanently dribbling out of the bottom of the bell-housing.

So is judder upon pulling away a sign of a damaged flywheel? Mine only does it when cold - I thought this was normal at our mileage (80k+).....I do need a new clutch Im just worried about your post regarding the flywheel now?

Also...what will (if anything) cure a spongey clutch pedal? I am replacing the clutch, is there more to it than that? Should the garage when fitting the clutch bleed the system?

Thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links