Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cambelt Advise

GWilso

I have a 2005 IS200 65K on the clock ive read varied reports on the when to change the cam belt some at 60k some at 100k my car was registed may 05 so im only 1 month out on the 6 year guide and aim to get it done over the next few months, my question is will it be ok for another few months surely lexus give a bit of grace on the belts snapping its a case of paying the rent or paying for the car its pretty tuff at the minute and I simply dont have £300 to spend on a cam belt and I know full well it will cost me an engine if it snaps I guess im asking surely im alright for that little bit longer?

Regards

Gordon

You should be ok to leave the cambelt for a few months (pop the top timing cover off and check the condition of the belt...its only a few 10mm bolts).

Just don't the leave cambelt change say any longer than 3 months. The cambelt needs changing at 60k/6 years (whichever comes first).

It is definitely 60K or 6yrs so yours is due, and the reason this was done is that some belts were wearing prematurely.

However perhaps get someone to inspect the belt to make sure it looks ok to make sure if you want to run it a bit longer?

brilliant thanks for the info ill maybe try and have a look myself I had a major 60k service at Halfords a couple months back they said they would do a visual on cambelt when asked they stuttered and said yeah its fine so wether they really checked it or not im unsure but thnaks for the input