Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coolant Change

itarumaa

I have a blue coolant in my ls400 at the moment.

Since I think it would be safer to keep the blue one and not to change to red one to make sure that I do not mix them and car is working fine anyway, I was thinking to continue with blue coolant.

But I need to change it to stronger version, since I think I will take the car to Northern Finland where it might be -40 in the winter.

Do you think this would be suitable for the car:

Halfords

So if the coolant amount is 11litres, 6 litres of that stuff and rest distilled water. Would this be ok for the car?

The car is ls400, year 1998.

Thanks

Personally I would fully drain the old coolant,flush then refill with the correct Toyota long Life Red Antifreeze. I looked at the specifications for the Halfords brand and noticed it contains silicates which according to Toyota can damage water pump seals!

Toyota Long Life Antifreeze/Coolant (RED) Specifications

Factory-filled red fluid specially formulated by Toyota for Toyota vehicles

New generation ethylene-glycol based premium engine antifreeze/coolant specially formulated for all Toyota engine cooling systems

Helps prevent cold weather freeze-ups and hot weather boil-overs

Does NOT contain silicates that may harm water pump seals

Does NOT contain borates that may cause aluminum pitting/corrosion

Provides excellent corrosion protection

Contains ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, water, organic acid salt, and hydrated inorganic salt

Protects from -34ºF to 265ºF (using a 15 lb. psi pressure cap)

Meets all Toyota warranty requirements & ASTM Specs

There is an excellent tutorial on www.lexls.com regarding the full engine block drain and refill.

Thanks for the reply, I definitely do not want to take risks with this, and info about silicates is good to know.

Of course I have no way of knowing if the current coolant consist of these or not.

I have to see if I can find the Toyota coolant, but I think it is only sold in Toyota dealers.

Hi, my thoughts are that the longevity and legendary reliability of the LS400 must revolve around using the correct maintenance products ............... simple really.

Maybe a reason why the waterpumps seem to last for ever.

Malc

Thanks for the reply, I definitely do not want to take risks with this, and info about silicates is good to know.

Of course I have no way of knowing if the current coolant consist of these or not.

I have to see if I can find the Toyota coolant, but I think it is only sold in Toyota dealers.

That's why I recomended removing the present unknown coolant,flushing to remove all traces and then filling with Toyota red.

Even at a Toyota/Lexus dealer it would probably cost around £30.00 for the amount you need, a lot less than sorting potential future problems caused by the incorrect type.

Ok,

I have started now.

I bought a 10mm hex key for the throttle body connection and 6 litres of coolant and 5 litres of deionized water.

Then I opened the radiator valve and poured the coolant away, filled up the expansion tank and bleed the system. Repeat of this 3 times, then I started to flush the car directly, so left the radiator valve open, run the car 5 minutes at time with constant water flow to expansion tank.

Eventually water was clear, when I started it was dark blue, black even.

Then I added the deionized water, bleed the system, emptied the radioator and poured coolant trough throttle body valve.

Now it is quite good, but since I have only poured about 2½ litres of coolant in the system, there is too much water, so I will wait the car to cool down, open the radiator valve, empy the radiator, fill up trough throttle body valve and then bleed the car again.

Takes forever but I think the result will be good :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links