Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brakes - Oem Or Mod

Hi,

I've got an IS200 with 40K. It sailed through it's last MOT and when I bought it, I took it to my local dealer (Teeside) and they did the big service (waterpump etc) and checked the brakes. They didn't need doing at the time, but, I've now driven a few K and tbh, they're not as sure footed as I'd like. I know the pads will benefit from being replaced, I've no idea about the discs.

I've got the Lexus service package, which gives me 25% of dealer prices, so I have a few options.

Take it to the dealer and get the pads replaced front and rear.

Take it to the daler and also get the disks replaced (expensive?)

Take it to my local 'tuning' place and have them install their recommended pads

Take it to my local place and have them re-skim or replace the disks.

I suppose I could also order OEM or aftermarket replacements and have my normal non-dealer local mechanic do it.

I'm trying to keep my vehicle stock, but, I suppose brake discs and pads won't affect the car in anyway if I don't get the Lexus OEM ones.

Anyone got any thoughts, I'm not much of a petrol-head I'm afraid.

Thanks

Andrew

If you want to keep the car looking stock then I'd just invest in some decent pads like EBC Green or Red Stuff. If you don't mind having slotted rotors poking out from under your front wheels then they would be a good match with the pads otherwise just get the OE ones skimmed if they're still within the size limit.

• 3 weeks later...
otherwise just get the OE ones skimmed if they're still within the size limit.

Get a quote first. It's too common, cheaper and longer lasting to just buy fresh than get skimmed.