Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rustmaster Treatment - Anyone Tried It Or Opinions?

I think there was an article in Car Mechanics magazine a few months ago when they had a Freelander project car done. The old stuff is all removed and the underside cleaned up, then the new stuff is sprayed on then another coating is applied to seal everything.

It looked pretty impressive when it was finished,if I can find the article I will PM you for your email address and send it to you.

Intersting replies but I think a place like this is in a diferent league to a garage where they may do the odd one amogst all other garage things but this place only does this & nothing else, I would think they have far superior purpose made tools for it that a garage does not have - whatever the wax product is they use they say they have sole UK rights on it but no way of knowing if its any better than the garage product

The 5 year garuntee I also find supportr them & a commitment that if you find some problem with it they let you bring it in & fix - If this thing is new & not popular yet it would not do for a franchise to make claims of support & warrunties they did not show they actually kept after the jobs done, small, new(ish) franchises want expansion & with garages in general already having a pretty poor reputation a new thing like this would never expand, especially with consumers have net access these days

.....said he, wondering who can borrow £440 + VAT from.. :shutit:

But when has an LS400 ever needed underside rust protection ? and what sort of age are we looking to preserve these cars too now? 50 or 60 years maybe !

Malc

But when has an LS400 ever needed underside rust protection ? and what sort of age are we looking to preserve these cars too now? 50 or 60 years mayb

I had one, a 96 or 7 - the underneath was quite badly corroded in places but I dont know the names of the places that was written came up on the last MOT which I got, 'Corroded but not seriously weakened'-

I was lucky, it first came up when I had an oil change for the first time just after I got it & the guy who did it noticed the brake pipe, starting at the rear as well as on the front. I think the previous owner must have a someone dodgy to give it an MOT, I mean it was frighteningly bad corrosion on those pipes. Another thing with that one was that the rubber hose brake pipes were badly worn by chaffing on the pipes, worst on front than back.

............the guy who did it noticed the brake pipe, starting at the rear as well as on the front. I think the previous owner must have a someone dodgy to give it an MOT, I mean it was frighteningly bad corrosion on those pipes.....

My '96 is immaculate underneath with no obvious corrosion. However last year the brake pipes had to ne renwed as they had corroded badly-no obvious holes but they were perforated like a teabag. Replaced the pipes with stainless now.

I think the thread started with a worry about structural underside corrosion and not meaning brake pipes and service parts like that.

Or am I wrong ( again ! ) :tomato:

Brake pipes have always corroded until replaced ....... but then not for a very long time either compared to most other marques.

Malc

I think the thread started with a worry about structural underside corrosion and not meaning brake pipes and service parts like that

Yes I did mean the structural underside I mentioned brake pipes on other car as they were a part of the general corrosion problem at back end if car & probably what was causing it all might be correlated in some way, or might not, it was bad underneath though, never heard of it before on LS but it was because of that I was drawn to this wax thing.

Dave hi, sorry, I wasn't meaning to be obtuse !

Brake pipes are manufactured in original equipment mode, to fail on rust, albeit Lexii don't seem to go so rapidly.

The structural underside to Lexii seem to be very robust and made of sterner stuff than most cars.

My g/fs Mazda 323f albeit now 17 years old, is failing with rust at the back-end ( brake pipes renewed long ago ) due we think to a previuos owner parking the car rear facing the sea for many years and getting the brunt of salt air, especially when stormy !

Malc

owner parking the car rear facing the sea for many years and getting the brunt of salt air, especially when stormy !

Malc

Thats interesting, I got that one from Great Yarmouth, 146k on it. It crossed my mind several times about salt air & consequent salt on roads 12 months of the year being a possible cause, the only problem with that idea is that he'd only had it about 4 years & prior to that it seemed to be around Peterborough & a couple of other non seaside towns.

But getting back to this wax treatment, the other reason it crossed my mind as a good idea is these past winters & the amounts of salt all cars have to cope with which has never been as heavy with salt before & that salt does not just disapear

with the snow, it could be there in decreasing amounts for months, I guess, if these winters continue, I mean its a new situation & cars are not yet assesed as to any corrosion impact they might have if they continue, I think if they do this wax stuff is a good idea.

Just wondered if anyone had tried this or anything similar? sounds impressive, they quoted me £440+VAT

www.rustmaster.co.uk

Hi Fellow Lexuns

The anti rust treatment I posted on the workshop tips last year gives some insght into the issues that can occur on the LS400 .The early ls 400 mark 1 was vunerable in the area immediatly above the back axle subframe as the factory sprayed rubber underseal did not cover this area and rust could appear within the first five years of the cars life another area to be watched was the area immediatly behind the plastic body trim that formed the bottom part of the wheel arch at the back door.The plastic insert was screwed and plugged to the metal of the body but was also glued on with a heavy duty flexible adhesive, on my car this adhesive was so strong it chattered away the paint it was adhered to, subsequently rust started to appear on the face of the wheel arch surface immediatly below the door closure that was 15 years ago ,we treated the inside of the wheel arch with waxoyl accessing from below through the rubber bungs on the floor pan,and over the years we have treated all the inner cavities with waxoyl.The underside of the car front to back apart from the areas mentioned as stood up to the road conditions and to that end I would not spend 500 quid on duplicating a good application and as most of the corrosion that occurs in this model starts on the inside should another coat of protection be applied to the outside any corrosion starting inside will take longer to appear and by the time it does it could have terminal consequences for the car.