Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Found out today at a Lexus open road event that the LS460 has been discontinued in favour of the LS600H Hybrid at a mere £101,000! Which explains why the 460 is no longer in the model catalogues.

Apparently Lexus are now concentrating purely on hybrid models and all petrol only and diesel models are out this includes the next generation of IS models which will also be hybrid.

So if you want a petrol powered new Lexus get on now.

Sorry to have to break this to you Steve, but the LS460 has been discontinued in the UK for a couple of years now! And they aren't selling many 600s either - I think they've overpriced them so they can phase them out.

I fear that the day of the LS is coming to an end.

I'm hanging onto mine, though!

As above it happened a while ago, I believe it was around the time the RX450h was launched Lexus UK decided to go hybrid only (other than the IS of course) and scrapped all the other petrol only models.

Surely the US market is still big for LS models?

I believe it is. I don't know how many LS exactly are selling in the USA, but last year Lexus sold a total of 230,000 cars there. (Their best year ever in the US was 2007, when they sold about 330,000 cars) This compares with the total 6300 or so cars they sold here in the UK in 2010. Incidentally, only 64 of those UK cars was a LS. As I said before, they're just too expensive. It makes me sad.

Very true the LS600H L I drove the other day was priced at £101,000 in three years you would probably be looking at £50,000-60,000 if you're lucky my mortgage is less than that depreciation!

Surely the US market is still big for LS models?

It was when petrol was 99 Cents a gallon even over there now it's around $4.00 I believe.

LS sales have been in a steady decline in the U.S. - with some small temporary sales increases when redesigns were introduced - since the LS was first introduced here in 1989. I bought my first LS400 in early 1990 when its base retail price was just over US$35,000. I was in the U.K. a few months later when the LS400 was introduced at a base price of £35,000 - vastly more expensive than in the U.S. but yours had a higher level of standard equipment. The 1990 model year was by a substantial margin the highest volume year for the LS in the U.S. -- one reason was that many like me rushed to buy an LS to avoid a new 10% "luxury tax" on cars costing more than $30,000 which took effect at about the beginning of 1991.

Petrol ("gasoline" here) was US$3.64 per U.S. gallon (a U.S. gallon is less than an Imperial gallon) here in the Kansas City area when I last filled up our LS with "premium grade" (91-92 octane) fuel on June 26. "Regular grade" gasoline sells for about 20 cents less than premium. At the beginning of 2011, premium was selling here for US$2.94 per U.S. gallon and the most I have paid this year was US$4.04 per U.S. gallon in Omaha Nebraska on May 1. I keep detailed records.

I've personally seen only one LS600h here in the U.S. - ever - and I pay a lot of attention to cars. People here seem to be moving to lower priced models in the Lexus line as LS prices increase and to other brands of cars. Those who might have bought the LS in better economic times are now buying the front wheel drive Lexus ES350 which has been significantly improved over previous ES models. And Hyundai has begun to impact Lexus LS sales with its Genesis 3.8 V6 and 4.6 litre V8 sedans and now with its recently introduced US$65,000 Equus sedan which has a rear seating package (including Ottoman style recliner on one side) similar to the LS460L/LS600hL.

The US still has all the petrol models as well - it's just Lexus UK that's stopped importing them, the cars still exist in other parts of the world.

The LS460 is a seriously good second hand buy now they are under £25k. I am wondering if I should buy one, would I like it as much as the GS though?

The LS460 is a seriously good second hand buy now they are under £25k. I am wondering if I should buy one, would I like it as much as the GS though?

Worth having a go in one, the GS is probably a slightly sharper drive, but the LS is on a whole other level in terms of comfort - it's so serene and peaceful inside......

Worth having a go in one, the GS is probably a slightly sharper drive, but the LS is on a whole other level in terms of comfort - it's so serene and peaceful inside......

Serene and peaceful sounds wonderful. I may go and have a test drive!

Definatley go and drive one you will not regret it,the comfort levels etc on an LS far outways any other vehicle in the lexus line up. I have had a few other vehicles out on loan when mine has been in for servicing etc, Rx's, Gs's, even the smaller ones, and i have to say once a LS owner always a LS owner. I have always said that i would keep to the Lexus LS range, if possible, without even looking at another manufacturer.

I hope this helps.

Happy Hunting

George.