Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying A Untaxed Car

floggit

Hi I wonder if anyone can help, my dad is looking to buy a secondhand car that's been parked on a drive for two months untaxed.

The owner has not sorned it. Looking at the dvlc website they only say an untaxed unsorned vehicle will gain the registered keeper a £80 fine for each untaxed month sent 6weeks in arrears.

My question is if my dad buys it will he be liable for the untaxed months ?. I.e.... If he buys 6 mnths does he only get 4 mnths tax. Or can he tax it from when he buys it and just pay from then on.

Hope that makes sense. The dvlc website doesn't seem to cover this.

Thanks

Steve.

I think the key issue here is that the £80.00 per month fine applies only to the "Registered Keeper" and therefore until you Dad becomes the registered keeper he will not be liable for any fines or backdated road tax.

Once purchased Dad will become the new registered keeper so the car will need to be either immediately taxed or SORN to avoid the fine applying to your Dad from the date the keeper change is notified to the DVLA.

Putting a brief note explaining the situation at purchase with the V5C when you send it to the DVLA may help.

I forgot to re SORN one of my cars once not realising it had to be done every 12 months and that cost me £80.00 reduced to £40.00 for quick payment, a grovelling apology letter to the DVLA didn't work to squash the fine.

Hi I wonder if anyone can help, my dad is looking to buy a secondhand car that's been parked on a drive for two months untaxed.

The owner has not sorned it. Looking at the dvlc website they only say an untaxed unsorned vehicle will gain the registered keeper a £80 fine for each untaxed month sent 6weeks in arrears.

My question is if my dad buys it will he be liable for the untaxed months ?. I.e.... If he buys 6 mnths does he only get 4 mnths tax. Or can he tax it from when he buys it and just pay from then on.

Thanks

Steve.

get the current owner to tax it first, then theres no issues at all

Thanks for the replies rory/ Steve.

Dad purchased the car today and had no problem taxing from today or I think it might have been 1st of the month which is ok.

Post office were very helpful.

We made sure the previous owner dated his return part ok and we sent a note as suggested by Steve to cover the situation.

Post office confirmed he's only responsible for tax from the date of purchase .

Sorted.

Steve.

• 1 month later...

Thanks

Steve.

get the current owner to tax it first, then theres no issues at all

Can't do that now if the car is off the road without insurance. The new Law states a car must be taxed with insurance, or SORNed without insurance at any one time. You now cannot take a car off the road and cancel insurance, without cashing in the remaining tax and placing it on SORN.