Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Decoke

I posted the below in the wrong forum but still got some useful feedback. Has anyone had this type of work done, was the car better afterwards - any feedback on any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks

I have 56 plate IS220d with 66k on the clock. Had it almost since new and have never had any problems with it. Over the last 18 months it's been really down on power. Lexus have cleaned the ERG valve and the inlet manifold twice which initially solves the problem but it soon returns. They have now said it needs a decoke. The Lexus dealer is doing the work and it's being paid for by Lexus, so no grumbles there.

But, I understand they take the engine and the pistons out of the car, replace the pistons with modified ones and then put the engine back in. This absolutely terrifies me!! Am I just being an idiot? What are the consequences of not having the work done? I guess I'm just after reassurance that having this work done is the right thing to do!

Many thanks for your help.

Hi there

I had long suffering issue with fuel economy with my 56 plate and had numerous egr valve cleaned replaced. But eventually Lexus dealer decoked and changed piston rings. Since they done this apart from the initial run in period after having the work done my fuel economy on my run to work went from 29 -31 mpg to 38 to 43 mpg. Luckily for me even though car was out of warranty lexus carried out this work free of charge. Now I don't know whether over time this will need to be done again or not. But for the momemt I would say it was definately worth it for me.

my understanding of the de-coke issue is due to excessive oil bypassing the piston rings and therefore causing high carbon build up in some of the early 220 engines.a thirst for oil is a clue to this problem.

I bought a 07 IS220d in March direct from Lexus. I started having power issues recently, but I just put that down to buying cheap supermarket diesel, but after switching to Shell / BP the performance improved.

The car broke down on the M5 on Wednesday. Lexus Roadside Assistance (provided with the 12 month warranty) collected the car and had it shipped back home to Bradford and they provided me with a hire car.

They called yesterday to inform me that the engine needs a complete rebuild due to coking, and a software update to the fuel management system to prevent it happening again. This is all covered by Lexus as it is a known fault.

Because I've only had the car a short time, I was less than happy at this problem, but Lexus have assured me that the work is covered for 12 months (separate from my Lexus warranty), and that if I'm not satisfied with the running of the car after the repairs to contact them to discuss.

In the meantime, they have said I can keep the Mercedes-Benz AMG E-Class that Enterprise provided me as a hire car (THANK YOU, LEXUS!!!) until the car is ready.

Not happy with the problem, but very, very, VERY happy with the service! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, were you using a lot of oil?

Mine broke down with the VSC lights etc twice in the last 12 months. They have replaced the EGR valve both times but I am starting to wonder if this could be a symptom of requiring a decoke - only thing is mine isnt burning ridiculous amounts of oil.

It was serviced at 70K and is now at 79K and not needed to top up - although they did issue an amber of low oil when lexus did the last EGR a few weeks ago.

• 2 weeks later...

The decoke was complete 2 weeks ago - Lexus had the car all in for almost a fortnight but now I've got it back the difference is fantastic. They advised me it would be like having a new engine, well, they were right. The engine ticks over almost silently, it has a lot more power at low revs and pulls from 1100rpm and the mpg is back to where it used to be, around the 40mpg mark. Very pleased!