Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I had the rear tyres changed from Avan A10e to Continental Sport Contact3. The car was jacked up on the sill jacking points.

There are still Avan A10e on the front.

Now the steering is slightly off center and the car seems to roll more during left hand corners than right.

There is also a difference in handling. It feels like the rear wheels have some toe-out on them.

The tyre pressures are even.

Is it possible the active suspension has been damaged in some, way?

I realy cant see how changing the rear tyres can affect the steering, however previously the left rear tyre had about 2mm less tread that the right.

So has anyone else had a similar problem, or have any ideas what may have happened?

Do you think its worth swapping the front to the rears and seeing if there is any change?

The front tyres are a different size to the back tyres and I wouldnt recommend swapping them around.

Is this right? My recently-purchased Mk2 GS300 Sport is running 245 40s on the rear and 235 40s on the front. i was thinking that this was a personal preference and was planning to run the same size each corner...

The front tyres are a different size to the back tyres and I wouldnt recommend swapping them around.

Is this right? My recently-purchased Mk2 GS300 Sport is running 245 40s on the rear and 235 40s on the front. i was thinking that this was a personal preference and was planning to run the same size each corner...

I expect gordi thought he was posting on the IS250 forum. The tyre sizes are different on the IS250 but are the same size all round on the GS450h, well at least they are on mine.

I took the car back to the garage that fitted the tyres and they checked the tracking on the wheels, there was no problem. They also straightened up the steering a little via mechanical means under the car. It's still not totally straight but the handling seems to have improved a somewhat.

Is the active suspension partly controled via the angle of the steering wheel?

I'm wondering if the steering can be straightened by attaching a computer on these cars.

I'll contact the lexus dealer this weekend and see if they can shed any light on this matter.

"They also straightened up the steering a little via mechanical means under the car."

I would like to know how they have done that without altering the tracking!

I cannot understand how replacing 2 tyres on the rear has altered the geometry of the steering unless they damaged something when doing so.

Definitely sounds like you need to get the geo checked - can you take the car to WIM or one of its approved centres?

Also could be the tyres, I recently had a pair of Michelins fitted to the rear and it made the rear end really loose, they're now currently on the front to let them bed in a bit and then I'll swap them back.

Might be worth swapping the wheels with the fronts and seeing if that helps the matter.

Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought only the GS Sport had active suspension, the other models just have adaptive suspension where you can just vary the firmness of the suspension. I don't think that system will have any relationship with the steering as it just alters the shocks.

Definitely sounds like you need to get the geo checked - can you take the car to WIM or one of its approved centres?

Also could be the tyres, I recently had a pair of Michelins fitted to the rear and it made the rear end really loose, they're now currently on the front to let them bed in a bit and then I'll swap them back.

Might be worth swapping the wheels with the fronts and seeing if that helps the matter.

Sorry if I'm wrong but I thought only the GS Sport had active suspension, the other models just have adaptive suspension where you can just vary the firmness of the suspension. I don't think that system will have any relationship with the steering as it just alters the shocks.

The tyres are listed as Mercedes fitment, and having driven quite a few mercs I can see the similarity in feel. Quieter, softer ride, less precision, more roll.

I guess it's possible one of the new tyres has a sidewall that's faulty and too soft.

I'm sure your correct about the active suspension. Perhaps it's an active stabillity management issue instead.

Maybe the breaks being applied on one of the wheels to try and keep the car straight.

All I know is, since the steering was straighted a little, the feeling of toe out on the rears is nowhere near as bad.

I'll probably try swapping the wheels round on Saturday.

As for changing the steering without altering the tracking. I'm assuming they made adjustments to the track rod ends, by the same amount on each of the front wheels to bring them more in line, while still keeping them parallel.

Yep they're supposed to be very good tyres, I was recently trying to decide between them and the Michelin PS3s, in the end going for the PS3s.

Let us know whether the wheel swap goes, I have a feeling that might be the cause as my car felt awful at the rear when the new tyres went on.

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to give an update on the this issue.

I recently had a puncture in one of the new rear tyres. I had it replaced and got the front tyres done at the same time.

So now there are Continental sport contact 3 on all 4 wheels.

The handling issues have gone away.

The steering is straight again. I know, I don't understand either.

The car feels totally different, like a new car. It's quieter. The ride is better. It's soaks up the bumps much better, potholes are less of an issue. The grip is way better, esspecially in the wet. There is less tramlining and tugging on the steering wheel, however the sense of the road through the steering wheel is less.

I can certainly recommend the tyres, despite them being Mercedes fitment.

I just wanted to give an update on the this issue.

I recently had a puncture in one of the new rear tyres. I had it replaced and got the front tyres done at the same time.

So now there are Continental sport contact 3 on all 4 wheels.

The handling issues have gone away.

The steering is straight again. I know, I don't understand either.

The car feels totally different, like a new car. It's quieter. The ride is better. It's soaks up the bumps much better, potholes are less of an issue. The grip is way better, esspecially in the wet. There is less tramlining and tugging on the steering wheel, however the sense of the road through the steering wheel is less.

I can certainly recommend the tyres, despite them being Mercedes fitment.

Glad you got it sorted. Are they sending the punctured tyre for examination to see if it was faulty?