Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have managed to aquire a radio with working backlights (cheers Dale_V) but need to know how to remove all the trim in my 1996 car to swap them over. I've found loads of pictorials for the removal of the MkI and MkII sets. Is removal in the MkIII similr? I just dont want to break anything by not following the correct sequence, or putting the screwdriver in the wrong place.

Thanks.

hi

1)Using 2 flat screw drivers (or even better flat pieces of plastic to save damaging the trim) lift the gearbox surround out - start near the cup holders - i think theres about 4 clips holding the surround down - you will need to disconnect the ashtray and heated seat connections to completely remove the trim.

2)Remove the centre vents by inserting small screw drivers or flat pieces of plastic either side of the vents and then pull out towards you.

3)Now you will find 4 screws - 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom - remove these and your done.

regards

miq

Where abouts are you?

Jim

Essex, just outside Braintree

1)Using 2 flat screw drivers...........remove these and your done.

miq

Thanks Miq-sounds pretty much the same as the MkII in getting the trim off which is what I wanted to know.

Where abouts are you?

Jim

Essex, just outside Braintree

1)Using 2 flat screw drivers...........remove these and your done.

miq

Thanks Miq-sounds pretty much the same as the MkII in getting the trim off which is what I wanted to know.

Put the shift into 'L' to start. There is a clip either side at the cup holder end about 2cm in from the end. The other two are about level with the front of the gear shift panel. The final two are behind the ashtray. With the shift in L and the other four clips released you can gen tly pull the whole unit back to release the remaining clips (I lifted the storage lid, which helped).

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that was so easy! Once the gear lever panel was out and the vents removed, it took literally 5 minutes to swap the radios over. The worst part was putting the first screwdriver between the leather and wood panel.

So now my radio has working backlights-funny how something so simple makes a car so much nicer to drive!

thanks for the advice-I'd never have worked it out without it.

Well, that was so easy! Once the gear lever panel was out and the vents removed, it took literally 5 minutes to swap the radios over. The worst part was putting the first screwdriver between the leather and wood panel.

So now my radio has working backlights-funny how something so simple makes a car so much nicer to drive!

thanks for the advice-I'd never have worked it out without it.

Am jealous! Having tried the solder fix and it not working I know what you mean about having something so simple working makes a big difference. Might have to source a working secondhand one.

My radio without the backlight, but working perfectly otherwise a mate (who loves playing about with electronics) said he would like to have a go repairing the backlights.

He fixed my TomTom Rider so ingeniously, but I'm sure the radio will be a challenge.

If he manages it, I'll put it up for sale on here. I spent ages looking everywhere for one before Dale_V sold me one on this very forum.

Fingers crossed he fixes it for you. My Mk III has no back lights on the radio and half the display isnt working either, can get confusing sometimes lol