Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

Have recently purchased a 2002 GS300.

There is a SHIFT LOCK button forward of, and to the right of the gear stick. I can find no reference to it in the manual and this is my first automatic car. You all probably know the answer to this and it will be so obvious when the replies come in so i apologise for my ignorance in advance. Also after a towbar (secondhand)for this vehicle if anyone can help with this as well.

Cheers Ian

Cheers for that. Strange feature as you would have to have the keys to enter the car, or am i missing something.

Ian

You don't have to turn the car on to move the gear lever, just press the button.

I'm sorry but i cannot see when you would use such a feature or why it is needed. If you have entered the car then you have the key, and if you have the key then you don't need a SHIFT LOCK button, simply use the key as normal. There must be another reason for having this button otherwise it is a pointless feature but Lexus do not normally provide pointless features. Any other explanations !!!!

Ian

it isn't just about having the key. It is about having the key, power and your foot on the brake. If for any reason, one of those is not working or is faulty, you won't be able to move the vehicle out of park. The shift lock button overrides all of those requirements should you need to move/recover the car. For instance, try disconnecting your Battery, and then move the car without using the shift lock button.

Thank you Tigerfish, an explanation that makes sense. There are obviousy a lot of owners out there who don't know why it is needed. It would, as Purvesh humourously stated, make it easier to steal, not actually so funny. Lexus should consider making the SHIFT LOCK key operaed as the boot lid can be. Just a thought to improve security.

Lexus, if you do it then i want paying for the idea!!!

So it's easier to steal. Smash the window, shift lock it into neutral and pull it onto a flat loader.

.............then you find the steering is locked! :tomato:

Thank you Tigerfish, an explanation that makes sense. There are obviousy a lot of owners out there who don't know why it is needed. It would, as Purvesh humourously stated, make it easier to steal, not actually so funny. Lexus should consider making the SHIFT LOCK key operaed as the boot lid can be. Just a thought to improve security.

Lexus, if you do it then i want paying for the idea!!!

Press the button and you can move the lever without having to start the car. That's all there is to it, nothing special. You may need to move the lever for a number or reasons, moving it from P to tow in an emergency or simply to give the lever and surrounding area a clean. Most if not all autos from most manufactures have this feature.

Don't worry about it, enjoy your car.

Sorry this is the wrong forum as I have an import LS400/Celsior but on a similar subject could anyone tell me what this sign on the passenger glove box means and the red button on the dash with a protective cover over marked "DO NOT TOUCH"

ejectorseat2.gif

Sorry this is the wrong forum as I have an import LS400/Celsior but on a similar subject could anyone tell me what this sign on the passenger glove box means and the red button on the dash with a protective cover over marked "DO NOT TOUCH"

ejectorseat2.gif

Press it and let us know what happens!!!!! :whistling:

ejectorseat2.gif

Press it and let us know what happens!!!!! :whistling:

Following your advice to press the button and see what happens I did and the result is shown below, the wife is not talking to me now even though I blamed you!

ejectorseat.jpg

Recently I had to put the car's Battery on charge and whilst the Battery was out of the car a neighbour asked if I could move my car a few feet in order for a skiplorry to be able to manoevre in to drop a skip outside his house. Without the "shiftlock" it would have been impossible.