Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

HI Guys, I need your help and advice once again.

Here is the story - my LS400 (98 Mk 4) - 91K lives out it`s retirement at our home in Majorca. It is often left for a month or so without being used but always starts first time and runs like a dream but has started to do srange things. After being stood for a few weeks when I started off within half a mile a I had a vibration like a flat tyre and a rumble. Stopped the care started off again and vibration was gone. Car has done about 1500 miles since and never experienced the same until today when the same thing happened. stopped the car and all was well again, done 100 mile since and runs fine - any ideas what it could be ?? Many thanks

Hi I had the same problem turned out to be a dryish cv joint, repacked them with grease & the problem went. the symptoms were I would drive a couple of miles it would start to vibrate getting worse either I would stop & then all would be well or drive through it & all would be well. It didn't do it every time just 1 in 4 drives. If it is a sticking calliper your disc will be glowing on that wheel (so elliminate that first).

Good luck Mark

Seems a logical idea with the CV joint.

I have done about 200 miles since last Wednesday since the vibration happened and it`s been fine since. I am now sure it`s not a stuck brake caliper. I thought the CV joints were a sealesd non maintenance unit. Did you disconnect the prop shaft, if so, thats difficuly for me do do over here in Majorca with a lack of tools etc.

I wonder if a good soak in WD40 might help. Many thanks everyone for your help.

Seems a logical idea with the CV joint.

I have done about 200 miles since last Wednesday since the vibration happened and it`s been fine since. I am now sure it`s not a stuck brake caliper. I thought the CV joints were a sealesd non maintenance unit. Did you disconnect the prop shaft, if so, thats difficuly for me do do over here in Majorca with a lack of tools etc.

I wonder if a good soak in WD40 might help. Many thanks everyone for your help.

I would say a good soak with WD40 would be a very bad move. The joint needs to be packed with grease and WD40 is likely to disperse it.

Hi Guys any reply would be apreciated as to "How to re-pack with grease" or would it be better to source a new UV joint in the UK and bring it over to Majorca for replacement, not sure if this is a quick or extensive repair to do. Thank You.

For what it's worth ....... it is my understanding that there are two Constant Velocity joints at the outer ends of each of the half-shafts. They do not tend to wear out as they do on front wheel drive cars as they are only moving a few inches up and down with the suspension. However, they do dry out in time (because they don't get replaced) and one or more of the balls in them gets stuck in its groove and causes the wheel to turn unevenly. Re-greasing seems to solve the problem - although I guess cleaning all the old hard grease out is advisable. As far as I know the boot is held onto the half shaft with a circlip - undo that, regrease, do up the circlip and that's that. My garage did both sides in well under an hour - £40 well spent. You will have to do both sides as there is no way of knowing which side is at fault - and if one side has dried out it's a safe bet the other will not be far behind.

Ok now I am confused is the CV I thought the CV joint that went dry was on the prop shaft not the half shafts on the rear ?? I take it the haff shaft joint can be accessed by just removing the rear wheel, is that correct ? Many thanks

Yes but you will also need to get underneath for full access, the joints are present in the half shaft to allow the suspension to move up and down,there are joints at each end filled with grease and covered by the rubber boots.

Revove the boot securing clips ( have some new ones to fit back,do not use plastic cable ties) peel the boot back and squeeze in the grease (not sure on the type but it is normally special grease that comes in sachets) don't worry about distributing it around the joint it will do this itself then refit the securing clip.

Here's a diagram that may help explain better.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/vspfiles/photos/8900365.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/1990-LEXUS-LS400-Rear-Right-Outer-CV-Joint-Kit-p/lexus-4067822-ls400-4.htm&usg=__7z-hP7M1oEa5vtS8xyEGb8BphCc=&h=501&w=462&sz=9&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=vwXBTRtNbWIJZM:&tbnh=152&tbnw=140&ei=-GodTtHYN4WZhQehqIXTBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dlexus%2Bls400%2Bcv%2Bjoint%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26sa%3DX%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1280%26bih%3D613%26tbm%3Disch%26prmd%3Divns&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=559&vpy=62&dur=100&hovh=234&hovw=216&tx=74&ty=110&page=1&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0

Thanks Steve, thats a great help. I am back in the UK now for a couple of weeks so I will call into the local Lexus dealer and order some of the clips. I would check what type of grease they use, Lexus grease is bound to be the most expensive ever made although I would suspect it`s just waterproof grease.

The problems bound to show again when the car has been stood in the garage at 33C for a couple of weeks, god knows what would happen if it was in direct sunlight !! Regards.

Hi Guys, had a chat this morning with a Lexus mechanic I know about the vibration, not mentioning the UV joint. He asked if the vibration started around 40mph, which it does. He is certain the problem is a sticking parking brake especially so when the car has been stood for a while, removing the disc and a clean-up seems to be the solution unless its the cable itself. Any idea on costs of OEM rear discs/pads and cables, I will take them over to Majorca with me bound to be cheaper than buying them on the island. ??