Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

You're Making Me Think I've Made The Wrong Decision ...

I'm due to buy an '05 LS430 (50,0000 miles, FSH from Lexus) next week to replace my '03 GS300, which has given sterling service over the past four years. I started looking on the forum for general information about the 430 and all there seems to be is a litany of worries and complaints, mostly about air suspension and other things that cost a fortune to repair. Guys, is the 430 that poor a car or are most folks happy with it? I know that inevitably people are more likely to come on a forum like this when they have a problem rather than simply to say 'hey, my car's great', but really and truly, is the 430 generally a trouble free car?

BTW, haven't been on here for a while, but may I just say I'm impressed by the level of manners and common sense on here!

I'm due to buy an '05 LS430 (50,0000 miles, FSH from Lexus) next week to replace my '03 GS300, which has given sterling service over the past four years. I started looking on the forum for general information about the 430 and all there seems to be is a litany of worries and complaints, mostly about air suspension and other things that cost a fortune to repair. Guys, is the 430 that poor a car or are most folks happy with it? I know that inevitably people are more likely to come on a forum like this when they have a problem rather than simply to say 'hey, my car's great', but really and truly, is the 430 generally a trouble free car?

BTW, haven't been on here for a while, but may I just say I'm impressed by the level of manners and common sense on here!

Had my 06 plate 430 for 18 months. 20k miles covered and never missed a beat. My one and only problem was a puncture. Enjoy your new purchase. I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

Hi

I've had my 54 plate 90,000 miler for three years now and the only thing i have replaced has been the front pads.

Take the plunge, the only thing you will regret is not getting one sooner.

Thanks for the replies, guys - you're putting my mind at ease! In any case, I'm buying from a Lexus dealer with the 5+ warranty attached, which should protect me from at least some things.

I love my LS430 - but I did have the air suspension problem and two rear adjustable shocks cost me £800 plus VAT (and that was a trade price!).

That said, I think that was just a bit of bad luck - but as I say, I totally love the car and wouldn't swap it!

Perhaps good advice would be to make sure that the warranty being offered by Lexus includes suspension issues too.

Enjoy!

To quote the Lexus official website regarding the 5+ scheme:

All 5 Year Plus Pre-Owned Lexus Car Warranties have the same level of cover as the Lexus new vehicle warranty, with the exception of multi media equipment, batteries, interior trim, road wheels and corroded exhausts.

Which is fair enough, I guess. However, I'll be watching the suspension like a hawk for the first year whilst the warranty is in place.

To quote the Lexus official website regarding the 5+ scheme:

All 5 Year Plus Pre-Owned Lexus Car Warranties have the same level of cover as the Lexus new vehicle warranty, with the exception of multi media equipment, batteries, interior trim, road wheels and corroded exhausts.

Which is fair enough, I guess. However, I'll be watching the suspension like a hawk for the first year whilst the warranty is in place.

I can confirm that the 5+ warranty covers the suspension - I've just had a shock replaced under it (£500+). And the rear aircon pipes, and two parking sensors. Happy to have bought an approved used car with the Lexus warranty! Very pleased with the car though.

Hi

I have had a Lexus 430 for some 8 years now, and up until last week the only problem i had was a front parking sensor go. Unfortunatley last week i had to have 2 air suspension height sensors replaced, but me being me decided to have all 4 replaced just in case the other 2 go wrong as it seems to be a common problem and a service, but managed to negotiate a fairly good deal which i was happy with. As has been said if the warranty covers everything apart from wear and tear go for it you will not regret it.

George

Many thanks for this. I'm planning on keeping this LS a good few years and I accept that during that time there will be expensive bills (but still cheaper than changing cars every couple of years!). However, I'd begun to get the impression that the LS was doomed to go wrong with major bills every other week.

Incidentally, FWIW I think getting all four replaced was the right thing to do.

Yes in comparison to other cars the LS430 is a very trouble free car.

All cars are machines that can break down, and they are all built down to a price, but the LS430 is the most reliable car I've ever had. It has gone from 45K to 78K miles in two years with only one minor fault. By comparison the 'S' Class Merc I had before was rubbish and clocked up 13 serious faults in 2 years!

When I was looking round for a car to replace the S Class I asked a man sat in a LS430 what his experience of his car had been. He had bought it from new and put over 100k miles on the clock, had he had any faults or problems, "no" he'd just ordered a new LS460 !

You are not making a mistake.

John N

hmmmm. I love my LS430 (2001) but it has not been the trouble free car I had expected. (it was 9 years old 75k miles and sold to me by Lexus dealership with 12 month warranty (thanks goodness). In the past 18 months it has had (mostly covered by warranty). Boot lift rams, 2 air suspension sensors, faulty air suspension pump, replacement passenger window guides, replacement passenger door skin (penetrating rust), Aircon fluid (not sure if pipes are leaking), rear n/s wheel bearing, failed up and down motor on driver door mirror (just putting up with it), Intermittent problem on satnav disc drive, creaking noise from rear bushes (just putting up with it now), new Battery, misbehaving reversing sensors when its wet.

It hasn't cost me a great deal of money .... yet.

Mike

Well, picked it up today. So far it's great. Also discovered that a previous owner had upgraded the satnav discs in '09 and installed an iPod adapter (which works like a dream).

The ride and handling are a bit softer than the GS and the brake peddle is in a slightly different position, but it's otherwise a definite improvement. Also, at 6ft 9, I find it's an easier car to get in and out of. I look forward to trying it on a long motorway journey.

Pleased to hear you are happy with the LS.

I noticed you said the Lexus 5 year warranty doesn't cover exhaust corrosion but are'nt the exhausts stainless steel as standard on the later LS models?