Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Shaking Under Braking

Daz-IS200

Hi guys,

I am really stumped by this one...

Under braking my steering wheel shakes from left to right quite harshly, it doesn't always happen.. it seems to come on when the brakes are warm. for example if I brake from 50mph quite sharply it will start out fine but half way through the braking action the steering wheel start to shake if i let off the brakes and reapply again it will continue to shake.

This is what I've done.

Rotated wheels

Balanced wheels

Removed pads cleaned up brakes and regreased slider pins

New lower ball joint which had play in it

WIM alighnment

After all this the problem is still there, I've visually inspected the brake discs and they don't seem warped not by eye anyway, there is slight lip on them but nothing to severe.

The car is lowered by 40mm on standard 17" IS200 alloys.

Any help or suggestions will be very much appreciated.

I wonder if a seizing piston inside the brake caliper may cause this.

if i let off the brakes and reapply again it will continue to shake.

As soon as you lift your foot off the brake pedal momentarily, does the steering wheel continue to wobble?

Did you also get a chance to inspect the condition of your suspension inner bushes and the upper arm ball joint?

Get the front discs checked professionally. A disc has only to be out a fraction of a millimetre which can be invisible to the eye but when spinning at say 3000rpm you sure will notie it. Am speaking from experience here as I had exactly the same problem. On mine all looked ok, but if you ran the car ip above 50 and went hard on the brakes you could feel a shudder through the whole car (but more noticeable through the brake pedal).

Get the front discs checked professionally. A disc has only to be out a fraction of a millimetre which can be invisible to the eye but when spinning at say 3000rpm you sure will notie it. Am speaking from experience here as I had exactly the same problem. On mine all looked ok, but if you ran the car ip above 50 and went hard on the brakes you could feel a shudder through the whole car (but more noticeable through the brake pedal).

I agree with that. You'll never be able to see if a disc is warped by eye. My discs looked fine but when I applied the brakes over 45mph the steering wheel would really shudder, the higher the speed the worse it was. New discs (and pads)and the problem has gone.

As above could be seized calipers or warped discs - I had the latter combined with warped hubs which caused the discs to re-warp until it was discovered. Expensive job to sort, but at least the car's back to being perfect again.

Cheers guys, gonna whack a new set of discs and pads on there and see what happens. Caliper isn't seized as I overhauled them last week but a few months back one of the slide pins were as good as stuck so it may well have been on its way to seizing in the past.

Will update once pads and discs have been fitted.

im glad i have seen this has had the same problem with mine. i have changed the pads on the back as the discs are fine but need new pads on the front so will change the discs aswell and hope it gets rid of the problem

• 1 month later...

I have the same, shacky at 60 normal driving, shacky when braking. Have bought new discs, and will the pads already on and will clean everything else up and see what happened

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I read in the manual somewhere that the Traction Control can cause 'juddering' under breaking. I don't have the manual infront of me to give exact details, but thought i'd raise it just incase.