Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leather Cleaner Preferences

Hi, I was at a country show last week and talked with a leathersmith about treating the slight cracks on my seats ............... he re treats leather coats and all sorts of stuff, furniture included and advised me to go for this ( which he of course sells, but for some reason he came over " good " and well informed and no hard sell at all ).

£6 for a 8 fl.oz. plastic bottle of Fiebings ... 4 Way Care Leather Conditioner

Just pre-soak and squeeze a small sponge then dab a little of the whiteish fluid onto the sponge and wipe the affected areas gently .......... leave for 12 hours, then buff up with a soft cloth. I must have used about 0.5 of a fluid oz. for the whole interior !

Won't affect your clothes and brings back the original colour too .... I guess provided you don't have incredibly soiled or badly damaged seats.

Must admit my seats look better and feel better for it AND hopefully will preserve too for a while.

Malc

Gliptone Leather Cleaner and Conditioner

Got to agree with Purvesh, Gliptone is the business! A mate let me have half a bottle each of the Gentle Cleaner and the Conditioner to have a go on the front seats. Gentle Cleaner is a gel and is gently brushed into the leather with a nail brush. After cleaning up generously apply the conditioner and leave to really soak in. This method removed so much engrained dirt from the leather that I now have to buy some more to do the whole car because the front seats look completely different to the rear! I hadn't even thought my seats were dirty!

Jim

Hi, Can any of you give me some feedback as to what leather cleaner you prefer that works - thanks

This will of course sound disgusting...but I use black dubbin!

Only good if you can leave the car for a couple of days for it to absorb and dry. Obviously not a good move on cream leather seats and also not a good move if you favour white clothes. Actually, probably not a good move at all but I use it. :ph34r:

Hi, I mentioned Dubbin to the leathersmith coz he had some there and quite expensive too .......... he specifically advised against using it on car seats ............. but I can't remember why tho' .......... sorry !

Malc

Hi, I mentioned Dubbin to the leathersmith coz he had some there and quite expensive too .......... he specifically advised against using it on car seats ............. but I can't remember why tho' .......... sorry !

Malc

The only reason I can think of is the possibilty of getting it on your clothes, being a scruff bag myself its not a problem. I do leave it for a good while though. After all, dubbin is made for keeping leather supple. I did make the mistake of getting cockpit shine on the seat once, save for the centre console I would have ended up in the passenger seat at the first corner!!

Phil