Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Had a bit of a mishap earlier tonight when taking my Mother home.

Firstly and most importantly Mother was checked over by the ambulance crew and apart from being shaken was OK as were the rest involved.

As I was travelling along the A38 in the Sutton in Ashfield area another vehicle failed to stop at a red light and came came out of a left junction in front of me.

Dispite evasive action combined with emergency braking a collision still occured resulting in my car suffering FNS damage to the front edge of the wing, edge of the bonnet, bumper, headlight/side light and one front indicator unit. Amazingly apart from broken glass from the headlight nothing fell off the car and the airbags didn't activate.

The Beemer having been struck on the front offside was somewhat worse for damage and little remained of the front bumper and lights the guy spend 10 minutes removing bits before he could move it.

Bearing in mind the damage and it is an import I have a sick feeling the car will be written off and I will receive some paltry offer for it from the insurers. :unsure:

I'll post some pictures up later today. :sad: :sad: :sad:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad that nobody was hurt. A few years ago my Saab 9000 was written off,by a Fiesta would you believe!!. The guy had no insurance and was over the limit. The first offer I got from the insurance company was laughable and would hardly have paid for a tank of petrol. However I had the use of another car at the time so could hang out for a decent offer. After two months of haggling I finally got what I wanted. Then a while later I got a cheque in the post for £250 - my excess back. That was a nice surprise. My insurance company took the bloke to court for recompense,where the book was thrown at him. So if you are able,don't accept the first offer as nine times out of ten they will be relying on you to be desperate to get back on the road as quick as possible.

Had a bit of a mishap earlier tonight when taking my Mother home.

Firstly and most importantly Mother was checked over by the ambulance crew and apart from being shaken was OK as were the rest involved.

As I was travelling along the A38 in the Sutton in Ashfield area another vehicle failed to stop at a red light and came came out of a left junction in front of me.

Dispite evasive action combined with emergency braking a collision still occured resulting in my car suffering FNS damage to the front edge of the wing, edge of the bonnet, bumper, headlight/side light and one front indicator unit. Amazingly apart from broken glass from the headlight nothing fell off the car and the airbags didn't activate.

The Beemer having been struck on the front offside was somewhat worse for damage and little remained of the front bumper and lights the guy spend 10 minutes removing bits before he could move it.

Bearing in mind the damage and it is an import I have a sick feeling the car will be written off and I will receive some paltry offer for it from the insurers. :unsure:

I'll post some pictures up later today. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Bad news but be thankful no one was hurt. it may have been a different story had you been in the Reliant Robin which was mentioned recently?

Steve, very sorry to hear that, as you say everyones ok if shaken that's the main thing.

I'm assuming today you'll check out what's needed for repair as if you're attached to your car you may wish to pursue this route yourself.

If they won't repair and it's likely there going to write off let them know as soon as possible if you wish to keep it.

My dad recently had to change cars as his Mundeo was written off due to the sump being removed by a poorly maintained council road.

They offered him a silly price and he argued the condition ,mileage, backed up by documentation .he managed to get the assessor on side and even got the tow bar taken in to account. He got a price he was happy with. Never accept their first offer and give them all the information you have to show how good the car was pre accident. It's in your favor the accident was not your fault.

If they do write it off I'm sure you'll acquire all the bits you may need off it lol.

Steve.

Cheers guys fir your support and kind words.

I've now had a better look and it looks like the front cross member is bent slightly and my fender pole broken as well as the other damage mentioned.

Now the pictures!

DSCF0147.jpg

DSCF0148.jpg

DSCF0149.jpg

DSCF0150.jpg

Glad to here everyone ok - I had a Rover 820i a few years back (when I was skint - still am but ...) had it for 2 weeks before somebody (looking for a cassette - her words) didn't notice my (parked car) went into the back of it (with my wife still in it). Wife suffered whiplash (car parked, so had seatbelt off) all captured on CCTV (by the company the driver worked for !) luckily as she disputed she was at fault ???!!! Her company reviewed the CCTV footage and sacked her on the spot.

Anyway I digress, car was written off even though there was a slight indent on the bumper and a little scratch ! (apparently the whole bumper would have been replaced and cost more than the car's worth ?). I paid £895 for it and got £1200 after showing similar ads from Autotrader, I asked what they were going to do the car and they offered it to me for - zilch ! Apparently I was doing them a favour as they would have had to pay for storage and recovery costs ... I sold it on for £650 so result ! It pays to ask ...

Really sorry to hear your tale of woe. Reminds me of September 2009 when i dozey clown drove into the back of my LS.

It wasnt the damage that hacked me off, it was the fact that it has through SOMEONE ELSES stupidity.

I feel for you. Glad to hear you and mum are ok.

Thanks Guys,

Having concluded already that the car will be written off I had a quick look on Autotrader and came across this one, and it is a Toyota Celsior although advertised as a Lexus LS400 the steering wheel and the retrofit rear fog light gives the game away ( amateur job mine are intrgrated into the rear clusters).

I've emailed the seller regarding the fact it is non UK spec asking about service history,tax,MOT and the cambelt change.

It's on my way to work so I may call in to have a look this week, it's too much money at the moment but who knows!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201123389905611/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/ls/make/lexus/radius/100/postcode/de554bd/page/1/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Thanks Guys,

Having concluded already that the car will be written off I had a quick look on Autotrader and came across this one, and it is a Toyota Celsior although advertised as a Lexus LS400 the steering wheel and the retrofit rear fog light gives the game away ( amateur job mine are intrgrated into the rear clusters).

I've emailed the seller regarding the fact it is non UK spec asking about service history,tax,MOT and the cambelt change.

It's on my way to work so I may call in to have a look this week, it's too much money at the moment but who knows!

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201123389905611/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/ls/make/lexus/radius/100/postcode/de554bd/page/1/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Seems I got that one completely wrong.

Would it cost more than £2500 to get your beauty fixed. Seems such a shame.

Mike

Thanks Guys,

Looks nice. What do you think is the right price? I didn't think it seemed too bad at 2.5K

Thanks Guys,

Looks nice. What do you think is the right price? I didn't think it seemed too bad at 2.5K

I was thinking nearer 2K, imports can be a problem to insure as not many insurers will touch them, my premium isn't too bad on a limited mileage policy but a newer model may alter the premium.

Thanks Guys,

I was thinking nearer 2K, imports can be a problem to insure as not many insurers will touch them, my premium isn't too bad on a limited mileage policy but a newer model may alter the premium.

If it's near you and you have that kind of money to spend...I'd be there like a shot, it looks fab.

I've always said with my car that I'll keep it until something major goes wrong, pot luck really, it could be 6 months or 6 years.

Anyway the MOT is due in 6 weeks, I wonder if it could possibly be a 4th year without an advisory :unsure:

Keep us posted.

All the best

Phil

Well things are now moving on, having confirmed the other party is admitting fault the Claims handling company have now arranged a hire car to be delivered and to arrange collection of the car by an approved workshop. I did say that I would prefer a Toyota dealershio but they assured me their company was recognised and approved by Toyota.

Now the amusing bit!!!

After sorting out that my car is not a Toyota Celica and was in fact a Toyota Celsior (which is not recognised on their database of course) I was asked if mine was automatic to which I replied yes.

"so would you like an automatic hire car?" again I replied yes.

Some time later I received a voicemail telling me that the largest automatic car they had was a VAUXHALL CORSA!!!!

After a further conversation I am now going to get a "larger" manual car, I can't wait!

Strange thing is a friend at work damaged her Volkswagen Golf and got a Lexus IS220d as a hire car.

Sounds like I'm with Budget!

Well things are now moving on, having confirmed the other party is admitting fault the Claims handling company have now arranged a hire car to be delivered and to arrange collection of the car by an approved workshop. I did say that I would prefer a Toyota dealershio but they assured me their company was recognised and approved by Toyota.

Now the amusing bit!!!

After sorting out that my car is not a Toyota Celica and was in fact a Toyota Celsior (which is not recognised on their database of course) I was asked if mine was automatic to which I replied yes.

Some time later I received a voicemail telling me that the largest automatic car they had was a VAUXHALL CORSA!!!!

After a further conversation I am now going to get a "larger" manual car, I can't wait!

Strange thing is a friend at work damaged her Volkswagen Golf and got a Lexus IS220d as a hire car.

I would definately push for who ever you would like to repair the car.

Just because they say the are recognised or authorised to repair Lexus Toyota dosent mean they can do the job properly like the dedicated main dealer.

My son found that out when his Ford Focus went into one of these authorised repair outfits, months later it eventualy had to go back to be repaired again and this time by Ford who did the job properly.

One of the things they pointed out was that the reason none of the panals fitted correctly was because they were not Ford parts but pattern parts which are nearly always compromised in the fitting dept.

Mike

Now the amusing bit!!!

So are you saying they may repair your Celica and not write it off?

Well at the moment they said 'repair' but obviously they are only going on the damage description I've provided over the phone, but I think when they price up the panels and bumper alone it is going to be close to write off, this doesn't take into account the possible cross member and AC piping damage or labour and paint.

Just looked up some prices on ToyoDIY for a 1994 Toyota Celsior.

Cover Front Bumper ( this is just the painted outer part without all the other parts and brackets) $2,056.99

Bonnet Sub Assy ( just the bare bonnet( $ 817.50

Nearside wing $ 300.10

Headlight assy ( these are the JDM one piece headlight/foglight units) $ 416.45

Side light $ 117.28

These are in US$ so lets add 40% for UK prices + VAT = Write Off!

Hi, I have posted stuff on my recent total loss on my M 94 Reg LS400 too on the Insurance posts on here.

Now, SAGA claims handling company negotiators were a little bemused and stumped when I reminded them that the whole ethos of insurance was that I was to be put back into the position I was at just prior to the time of the claim !

And that meant I should have a 94 late Mk2 40,000 miler LS400. Impossible to find.

That bumped up their need to improve their total loss offer to me to £2k....... way above Glasses guide

So, the moral of this story .......... try to insist on a replacement....... and if they can't ............... screw them to the ground as best as you can.

Malc

Just looked up some prices on ToyoDIY for a 1994 Toyota Celsior.

Cover Front Bumper ( this is just the painted outer part without all the other parts and brackets) $2,056.99

Bonnet Sub Assy ( just the bare bonnet( $ 817.50

Nearside wing $ 300.10

Headlight assy ( these are the JDM one piece headlight/foglight units) $ 416.45

Side light $ 117.28

These are in US$ so lets add 40% for UK prices + VAT = Write Off!

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby::msn-cry:

Hi, I have posted stuff on my recent total loss on my M 94 Reg LS400 too on the Insurance posts on here.

Now, SAGA claims handling company negotiators were a little bemused and stumped when I reminded them that the whole ethos of insurance was that I was to be put back into the position I was at just prior to the time of the claim !

And that meant I should have a 94 late Mk2 40,000 miler LS400. Impossible to find.

That bumped up their need to improve their total loss offer to me to £2k....... way above Glasses guide

So, the moral of this story .......... try to insist on a replacement....... and if they can't ............... screw them to the ground as best as you can.

Malc

What a shame you are even put in that position to have to justify your position.

I could never understand when my Jeep was written off a few years back by a 16 ton truck coming straight out at me from a side street not only writing my beloved Jeep off but me as well nearly.

He was taken to court by the police and fined £480 £600 costs banned for 18 months and licence endorsed with 6 points. He lost his job as well.

Why did my insurance company not fight on my behalf to get back what the car was insured for + LPG conversion I had put on the car when I first bought the car. It wasnt going to cost them a penny.

I do wonder whether these insurance companies do get all the money and more but keep it for themselves. I cant see any other explanation.

Mike

Latest update!

After a bit of confusion the hire car was dropped off ( a Voljswagen Golf diesel :blush: ) but as arranged my car (still a Celica on the paperwork) was too big and heavy for the trailer the Golf came on.

The delivery guy was very helpful and arranged a bigger truck to come and collect within 90 minutes and 30 minutes later the correct type truck arrived followed 5 minutes later by another recovery truck!

After a brief discussion the 1st to turn up decided he was transporting the car to the correct repair centre in Chesterfield ( the other guy had been told to take it to the Nottingham depot!) and after completing the paperwork and taking numerous photos it was on its way.

Several hours later I got the telephone call confirming my worst fears... for just the parts I listed earlier £1900.00 then another £2100.00 for labour and paint the guy said the car is in immaculte condition but it looks like a write off.

On the way home I decided to go and have a look at the Lexus/Celsior I spotted on Autotrader (link above), the 1st problem was finding the place as the name on the building was not the same name in Autotrader.

Once located the car was pulled out so I could see it better.

I have never seen a 2000 plate LS400 in such a bad condition, the silver paint was flat and filty, there were cobwebs on the passenger wing mirror and boot lid,there was enough mud around the rear arches I could have grown potatoes in there, it was so bad I couldn't see if it was on springs or airbags until I crumbled the mud away!

The many stone chips were actually through to the metal and were rusty.

The interior was in the same state no effort had been made to make the car presentable for sale and the boot looked like it had been used to carry bales of straw!

Under the boot cover the boot was all rusty along with the rim of the spare wheel so theres the usual boot seal problem.

The bonnet wouldn't stay up as the struts were gone but I did manage to see that the coolant level was at the bottom of the resevoir and the oil was just on the tip of the dipstick.

Underneath the car was extremely rusty as if it had been stored in a field for several years.

If this is described as good condition mine must be concours!

This should have been enough to walk away but I thought Ok there are problems but these can be sorted so the test drive. The tax had expired 04/11 but no trade plates were offered and when I mentioned insurance the "dealer" sarcastically came back with "my pemium is £21,000 a year I think you'll be covered"

The place is on an industrial estate so I had a drive around there, it seemed to drive OK until I hit the brakes and was met by a mechanically clonking noise from the front nearside area.

I decided to stop and have a good look at all the controls and found the paperwork in the glove box, the car appears to have been imported around 2002 but the Lexus service history stopped at 18,000 miles after that there was a few invoices for oil and filter changes at fast fit places up to 30,000 miles so where the other 85,000 miles have gone I don't know but given the coolant and oil levels maybe it has never been serviced since.

Also discovered that the in/out motion on the steering wheel didn't work so theres a £200 motor needed plus of course the sat nav is great if you want to find a street in Tokyo

So back to the premises to be greeted by the proverbial "So what do you think?"

I tried to remain polite so pointed out the various defects and the fact the car was not a Lexus LS400 as described but a Toyota, sarcasim set in again at this point "well you obviously know more about it than me I'm just a car dealer"

I had already mentioned that my car was probably being written off and that is why I was looking for a replacement so when I said the asking price was too high for the condition he came back with "well you're not in a position to negociate at the moment are you?"

That was the last straw with this complete igoramus.

I gave him the key back ( just the one of course) and walked away.

I always thought cars "dealers" of this type had gone long ago but there appears to be at least one left.

So if anyone fancies a rusty neglected LS400/Celsior feel free to call the sarcastic idiot.

Will I be able to find another like mine????

Latest update!

After a bit of confusion the hire car was dropped off ( a Voljswagen Golf diesel :blush: ) but as arranged my car (still a Celica on the paperwork) was too big and heavy for the trailer the Golf came on.

The delivery guy was very helpful and arranged a bigger truck to come and collect within 90 minutes and 30 minutes later the correct type truck arrived followed 5 minutes later by another recovery truck!

After a brief discussion the 1st to turn up decided he was transporting the car to the correct repair centre in Chesterfield ( the other guy had been told to take it to the Nottingham depot!) and after completing the paperwork and taking numerous photos it was on its way.

Several hours later I got the telephone call confirming my worst fears... for just the parts I listed earlier £1900.00 then another £2100.00 for labour and paint the guy said the car is in immaculte condition but it looks like a write off.

On the way home I decided to go and have a look at the Lexus/Celsior I spotted on Autotrader (link above), the 1st problem was finding the place as the name on the building was not the same name in Autotrader.

I have never seen a 2000 plate LS400 in such a bad condition, the silver paint was flat and filty, there were cobwebs on the passenger wing mirror and boot lid,there was enough mud around the rear arches I could have grown potatoes in there, it was so bad I couldn't see if it was on springs or airbags until I crumbled the mud away!

The interior was in the same state no effort had been made to make the car presentable for sale and the boot looked like it had been used to carry bales of straw!

Under the boot cover the boot was all rusty along with the rim of the spare wheel so theres the usual boot seal problem.

The bonnet wouldn't stay up as the struts were gone but I did manage to see that the coolant level was at the bottom of the resevoir and the oil was just on the tip of the dipstick.

Underneath the car was extremely rusty as if it had been stored in a field for several years.

This should have been enough to walk away but I thought Ok there are problems but these can be sorted so the test drive. The tax had expired 04/11 but no trade plates were offered and when I mentioned insurance the "dealer" sarcastically came back with "my pemium is £21,000 a year I think you'll be covered"

The place is on an industrial estate so I had a drive around there, it seemed to drive OK until I hit the brakes and was met by a mechanically clonking noise from the front nearside area.

I decided to stop and have a good look at all the controls and found the paperwork in the glove box, the car appears to have been imported around 2002 but the Lexus service history stopped at 18,000 miles after that there was a few invoices for oil and filter changes at fast fit places up to 30,000 miles so where the other 85,000 miles have gone I don't know but given the coolant and oil levels maybe it has never been serviced since.

Also discovered that the in/out motion on the steering wheel didn't work so theres a £200 motor needed plus of course the sat nav is great if you want to find a street in Tokyo

I tried to remain polite so pointed out the various defects and the fact the car was not a Lexus LS400 as described but a Toyota, sarcasim set in again at this point "well you obviously know more about it than me I'm just a car dealer"

I had already mentioned that my car was probably being written off and that is why I was looking for a replacement so when I said the asking price was too high for the condition he came back with "well you're not in a position to negociate at the moment are you?"

I always thought cars "dealers" of this type had gone long ago but there appears to be at least one left.

So if anyone fancies a rusty neglected LS400/Celsior feel free to call the sarcastic idiot.

What are you trying to say?????????????? LOL

Sad about the old car written off but just be patient and one honest LS400 will turn up.

I dont know how you kept a civil tongue in your head, at least Arthur Daley was always perfectly mannered as he ripped you off.

Mike

Latest update!

So when the website says "Why buy from this dealer?" Any hints?