Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Suspension Arm Perished Bushes...

KentIS300

Hello guys,

Apparently digging through the paperwork of the car, I found an advisory on MOT since last Feb, and it said that front suspension arms bushes perishing.

I assume this will be responsible for the small wallowing on high speed over uneven road surface. The car feels safe.

Can I replace the bushes only them selves or do I need to buy the whole arms? Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers

Vasilis

The front lower arm bushes are certainly replaceable, as I have replaced them on my IS200 about a month ago. I am not too sure about the upper arm bushes though.

I wouldn't imagine the IS200 and IS300 to have different bushes (someone else may be able to confirm this), but here are the part numbers anyway:

TRD Front Lower Arm Bush #1: 48654-SE101

TRD Front Lower Arm Bush #2: 48655-SE100

TRD Front Lower Arm Bush Support: 48657-SE100

You will need a pair of each. I got mine from Fensport

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for info guys :)

Lex, do I need a pair for each front side of the car. Or a pair will cover me for both front ends?

I had a look at Fensport, but I cannot look by part number so I assume the best bet is to give them a call.

Does it take a long time to replace the bushes, I assume it is a garage job as I do not have the tool to push them out. :( maybe I can remove the arms and take them to the garage with the new bushes so they can push them in for me.

Also just picking your brains here ... and you experience, when I drive with about 1 mph or standing still after breaking. If I do the steering full left lock to full right lock I will hear clonking and clanking noises coming from the wheels.

Sometimes just by breaking I will be able to hear it.

I would assume these are the bushes talking...

I had a similar noise ... well as I can remember since it has been 5 years since ... with one of my old cars and it turned out to be the suspension spring. But I think the IS's problem is more likely to be the bushes in my opinion.

do I need a pair for each front side of the car. Or a pair will cover me for both front ends?

A pair will cover you for both front ends.

I had a look at Fensport, but I cannot look by part number so I assume the best bet is to give them a call.

Yeah give them a call or send them an email. I dealt with a gentleman called Tony who was very helpful. There is also a small discount if you are an LOC gold member.

Does it take a long time to replace the bushes, I assume it is a garage job as I do not have the tool to push them out. :( maybe I can remove the arms and take them to the garage with the new bushes so they can push them in for me.

It takes about 2 hours to replace them. I got my bushes and front lower ball joints replaced at WIM. I suggest that you get them fitted at a garage too, because you will most certainly need to get your wheel alignment done afterwards.

Also just picking your brains here ... and you experience, when I drive with about 1 mph or standing still after breaking. If I do the steering full left lock to full right lock I will hear clonking and clanking noises coming from the wheels.

Sometimes just by breaking I will be able to hear it.

My car had the same problem as yours. I am fairly new to the IS200 myself, but from what I've read on this forum there are at least three possibilities:

• suspension bushes
  • lower ball joint
  • worn brake caliper slide pins

I got the the first two replaced in one go and the clunking noise has disappeared, so I'm a happy camper :)

Might even be the same solution for you.

I had a similar noise ... well as I can remember since it has been 5 years since ... with one of my old cars and it turned out to be the suspension spring. But I think the IS's problem is more likely to be the bushes in my opinion.

I guess you are right because most other cars have MacPherson struts on the front. As a result, the spring and its perch rotates when you steer the front wheels (the spring and damper forms the kingpin-axis). At the top of the strut tower, there is a bearing that allows for the spring to rotate about its axis. This bearing can seize over time and cause the spring to "clunk" when you steer the wheels.

The IS200 has a double wishbone front suspension, and so the spring and damper isn't part of the kingpin-axis. As a result they do not rotate with the steering and thus very unlikely to cause a "clunk" when you steer the wheels.

• 5 months later...

The front lower arm bushes are certainly replaceable, as I have replaced them on my IS200 about a month ago. I am not too sure about the upper arm bushes though.

I wouldn't imagine the IS200 and IS300 to have different bushes (someone else may be able to confirm this), but here are the part numbers anyway:

TRD Front Lower Arm Bush #1: 48654-SE101

TRD Front Lower Arm Bush #2: 48655-SE100

TRD Front Lower Arm Bush Support: 48657-SE100

You will need a pair of each. I got mine from Fensport

Hope that helps.

I will order them tomorrow ... I know a bit late lol

:)

By the way guys ... why on earth since I am a Gold member it will not show next to my posts? I have emailed the support a couple of times and got no response at all ... not good is it :(

OK the bushes replaced ... however only when I left ... I realised that the garage did not replace or install the bush support part no : 48657-SE100 (2) where do these go?

I look on an exploded diagram of the front suspension and cannot seem to be able to see them :(

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links