Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ride Height And Coilovers

imi

A question for those with coilovers, On my IS i have the BC Racing coilovers, have noticed that the ride height is not equal, drivers side front is slightly higher than the passenger front, and drivers side rear is lower than the passenger rear, (I noticed the same when i had the lowering springs on) :blink:

The coilovers were set to equal gap before they were put on, the question is how do i get equal height?, do i adjust the coilover gap to different height settings or adjust the spring tension adjuster to set equal height? how have you guys equal your ride height?

Coils were fitted by Charlesworth motors a while back..

TaDuQIG.jpg

The higher adjuster is used to set the preload (how much the spring is compressed when the suspension is fully extended).

The lower adjuster is used to set the load on each wheel, and if adjusted in pairs; the ride height.

If your car is warped; I recommend you to adjust the ride height while sitting on scales (one for each wheel).

The way I did it was leave the spring as is and I moved the bottom 'cup' bit up and down and I did mine by trial and error with a big ruler! I got one side how I liked it and then measure the height of the top of the arch and then trialled and error’d the other until it was the same! This was the longest part of the install! if I hadn’t had to mess with the ride heights so much I would have been done in half, if not a quarter of the time!

I then the next day I spent all day playing with the damping!

Get some Measuring Calipers and check the measurement between the bottom locking nut and top to see if they the same, if not adjust, ive had coilovers on my cars and if i wasnt parked on a level surface it looked like the rear wheel was 5mm away from the arc while front 15mm but if i turned my car around front was 5mm rear 15mm, it dose it on stock suspension but because of larger arc gaps not that noticable.

Thanks for the replies, yep, was thinking the same start adjusting the coilover at different height at each side to compansate to the uneven weight distribution of the car.. just wanted to make sure if it's ok to do that and also how the everyone else on here have done theirs..