Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod Adapter - Do I Have To Use An Apple Product?

Apologies if these are dumb questions..

I've bought an LS 430 and a previous owner had installed an iPod adapter. This works just great on my Iphone, but for various reasons I would like to install an mp3 player that stays permanently in the car (rather than constantly taking my Iphone in and out of the glove locker). So question 1 is: if I leave an mp3 player permanently plugged in, will it drain the Battery?

If not, then:

I know that after spending a lot on a Lexus, this seems a cheapskate question, but I don't fancy shelling out two hundred quid for an apple IPod of appropriate memory size if I can get away with using a cheaper mp3 player that will do the job just as well. So question 2 is: are there other mp3 players that use the same connection as the iPod, please?

The GROM user manual does mention something about the iPod consuming small amounts of power if left connected to the car. They also recommended disconnecting the iPod if the car isn't going to be fired up for more than a week.

So, if the iPod interface in your Lexus is anything like the GROM unit, then I guess the same advice would apply.

As for connecting a generic MP3 player to the iPod jack... yes it can be done. You will need a connector similar to one of these.

I have not tried it though, but there you go :)

If you use a 3.5mm jack adapter you'll lose the ability to see info on the screen and control using the car's controls.

The best way of doing it would be to somehow add usb connectivity - but that could potentially end up costing just as much as the iPod. Best option may be to just get an iPod :)

Thanks for that guys. I think I'll end up getting an iPod. I'd thought I'd have to splash out on the iPod Touch, but one of the smaller ones seems to have the right connection and will do the same job at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for that guys. I think I'll end up getting an iPod. I'd thought I'd have to splash out on the iPod Touch, but one of the smaller ones seems to have the right connection and will do the same job at a fraction of the cost.

Yep no need for a touch, you get less capacity (or maybe not any more?) and don't need the fancy touch screen.

I've done exactly the same and have an iPod that lives in the car permanently, and it's just a 120gb iPod classic which is perfect for what it has to do :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links