Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Headlamp Washers Legal Requirement?

Hi,

I have a strange but simple question:

Does anyone have HID headlamps without headlamp washers?

Anyone got a body kit that required the removing of washers?

I'm importing an IS at the moment, and the SVA is throwing up a few small quirks I need to get some background on.

Any help greatly appreciated!

There is a member here who has an IS300 (with HIDs) and who had the Styling Kit fitted, which involves replacing the front bumper with a deeper one that doesn't have headlight washers. Seeing as this is an official Lexus fitted accessory, sure it must be legal. (The lights are still self-levelling). Sorry, can't remember the members name at the mo.

UKPulse,

That's exactly what I was hoping for someone to say, thanks.

I will pass this on to my importer, and he can battle it out with the SVA crew / Lexus.

Loz, I bought my new 2002 IS300 sport cross for 18,000GBP, add on 1,500 for shipping and conversion. But then I did live in Japan, so the fact I'm not paying import duties is probably my biggest saving.

That's a good saving. Does it have all the standard equipment a UK one would have?

With regards to the HID question I think the lights must be self-leveling to stop you blinding on-coming traffic. There shouldn't be any requirement for washers and as UKPulse mentioned the styling kit for the IS300 removed the washers and all UK 300's have HIDs.

Colin,

I bought it in Japan, and fitted all options to make it UK spec. But I didn't get the washers (it's an option in Japan), hence the problems. I mean, it's not like my car ever gets close to being dirty enough to make lack of washers a problem! ;-)

And Jap IS300's/Altezzas come with indash 6CD+MD as standard, which I really dig. And no VSC, which I didn't want, just traction control. That'll just get in the way when the boost arrives.

But I failed sva because HIDs need headlamp washers, that's what their report said. Take it for what it's worth. Maybe they're wrong, if so I have to show them. If not, Lexus have some explaining to do ;-)

So the Lexus official body kit/no washers required thing is a bit of a conundrum, and hope to talk to Lexus this week. Damn I miss my Altezza! :crybaby:

That's bizarre - I would have put money on there being car manufacturers selling cars in the UK with HID lights that don't have washers. So sccording to sva, Lexus would be offering modifications to it's customers that break the law? :unsure:

Guess one option would be to fit "standard" bulbs for the sva test, then revert to HIDs once it's passed?

hello, why not ask the SVA for chapter and verse of the regulation that is giving you grief or go to your local reference library and ask a librarian to point you in the right direction. the AA and RAC are also a source of knowhow on motoring regulations, expect you have to be a member. cheers, gds