Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replace Front Wing (Or Repair)

Hi Folks,

Some numpty decided to sit on the front drivers-side wing of my IS the other night. I say sat but the dent left over is a whopper. It's a good couple of inches deep and about 12 inches long. Also, in places, the steel's kinked and cracked the paintwork. A local bodyshop's quoted £200 to knock the dent out and do a respray. A guy at work suggested replacing the wing and, as the wings are bolted on, this sounds like a good idea. At least, that way, there can be no sign of the damage left over. I know that, even if I find a wing that's come from another metallic silver IS, I'll still have to get it resprayed.

So, my question is, are the wings on an IS really as easy to replace as they look.

As always, any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

Mick.

My gf bumper my car a few years back, and I was in the same situation, repair or replace, In the end I replaced it with another silver one and you'd never know its been changed. The colour match was fine, so if you can get one in good nick you'll be fine. Fitting was easy, just takes a bit of time making sure everything is lined up properly.

Gareth

If you get same colour replacement it may be very slighly different you to the way the flakes in the paint lay as car would have all been sprayed in same directions but if you spray you will never get a close match unless you spray a hell of a lot of the car. silver is the worst colour for that reason. my N/S/F wing has a repair and sticks out like a sore thumb. in some lights you can't tell i.e when its dark but when its in the sun or under lights it looks awful so I'm on the look out for replacment.

they are easy to replace if you know what your doing yes, if you can find a replacement with the same colour code as yours i say go for it. However personally id just get it resprayed you shouldn't be able to see any difference from the wing to the rest of the car if they know what they are doing ive sprayed plenty of silver cars in the past it can be tricky to lay down but not that hard compared to some if its a good bodyshop i say repair and paint

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll keep my eyes peeled for a replacement. I'm sure that the bodyshop would do as good a respray as anyone could do. However, he did say it would take a lot of work to get the shape back and I'd be disappointed if I had it done and could still see traces of work having been done.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Mick.