Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430 Gearbox

pheobe

Just bought my first lexus ls430 03 plate with 102k miles on the clock, I can feel the gear changes a (slight bump)mostly at low speeds but now and again right through to o/d the oil seems a little on the brown side and I've noticed very small black particles on the dip stick any ideas as to the reason ? and would it be worth a visit to a lexus service dept for a filter and oil change? any idea what this would cost as I spent a little more than I intended buying the car, thank you in anticipation.

pheobe

Hello Eric and welcome to the LOC.

If the transmission fluid is brown it generally shot, I think the recommended change interval is every 60,000 miles but was it done then?

It's the bits in the fluid that concerns me more indicating something is not quite right in there.

Have you smelt the fluid for a burnt smell?

I would personally get the fluid and transmission filter replaced without delay, Lexus will charge you several hundred pound for the job but if you are handy with spanners you can do the job yourself or even use a good independant garage.

The transmission fluid is unique to Toyota/Lexus and is called Type IV this costs around £60.00 for 5 litres and you need at least 10 litres to replace most of the fluid, you can never get all the old fluid out as some remains in the torque convertor so you drain around 2 litres, then top up 2 litres then drain again etc.

I also believe you can flush the fluid out but this is best left to a dealer.

Although for the earlier LS400 you can get an idea of whats involved by looking up the transmission tutorials on www.lexls.com/tutorials

If the transmission fluid is brown it generally shot, I think the recommended change interval is every 60,000 miles but was it done then?

It's the bits in the fluid that concerns me more indicating something is not quite right in there.

I would personally get the fluid and transmission filter replaced without delay, Lexus will charge you several hundred pound for the job but if you are handy with spanners you can do the job yourself or even use a good independant garage.

The transmission fluid is unique to Toyota/Lexus and is called Type IV this costs around £60.00 for 5 litres and you need at least 10 litres to replace most of the fluid, you can never get all the old fluid out as some remains in the torque convertor so you drain around 2 litres, then top up 2 litres then drain again etc.

Although for the earlier LS400 you can get an idea of whats involved by looking up the transmission tutorials on www.lexls.com/tutorials

Thanls for the prompt responce I hav'nt smelled the oil but will to-morrow AM what does it indicate if it does smell burn't?

Thanls for the prompt responce I hav'nt smelled the oil but will to-morrow AM what does it indicate if it does smell burn't?

I think a burnt smell is an indication of clutch disc problems or previous overheating of the transmission. has it ever been used as a tow car?

I think a burnt smell is an indication of clutch disc problems or previous overheating of the transmission. has it ever been used as a tow car?

no tow hitch so I assume that it's never towed. Smelled oil a bit pungent but not really a burnt smell no more bits in oil thanks again for reply I'll post any info for future reference. Eric

You really have to change the oil soon, if you don´t do this you might damage the gearbox and then it will cost...

The gearbox oil has to be red, not any other colour. I would take this quite seriously, please do not postpone this much further.

• 2 weeks later...

You really have to change the oil soon, if you don´t do this you might damage the gearbox and then it will cost...

The gearbox oil has to be red, not any other colour. I would take this quite seriously, please do not postpone this much further.

Thank you for your comments, had g/box and diff oil changed at lexus dealer to-day a soother ride and gear change but still a bit of a jerk when it's first put into drive and occasional jerk when it goes into o/d when you ease up after accelerating but on the hole an improvement, i'll give it a while and see if it settles down. and give me time to get over shock of paying a lexus bill.

Thank you to those who helped Pheobe

I would double check which atf they used as we have heard some dealers think dexron III is ok !!! Plus they dont always replace filter and do a complete change they sometimes just do a flush which isn't as good as it sounds. Sorry dont mean to sound negative, but I would check with them and get in writing if poss what they used and did just for peace of mind.