Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upper Rear Wishbone Replacement

sir john

My 93 LS is up for the MOT on the 14th August. the rear Axle Carrier Arm bushes are shot so im replacing those before the test. £40 delivered from Prirace.

The ball joints on the Upper Rear Wishbones are also worn. There is slight movement/knocking from them so might do them as well (hopefully after it passes).

Im treating the nuts and bolts to WD40 every day and one by one the fixings at the chassis end are working loose.

But the nut on the ball joint (hub end) is inaccessable.

I know i will have to remove the rear shockers and springs, but how do i get the ball joint end nut to remove it: the half shaft is in the way?

My 93 LS is up for the MOT on the 14th August. the rear Axle Carrier Arm bushes are shot so im replacing those before the test. £40 delivered from Prirace.

The ball joints on the Upper Rear Wishbones are also worn. There is slight movement/knocking from them so might do them as well (hopefully after it passes).

Im treating the nuts and bolts to WD40 every day and one by one the fixings at the chassis end are working loose.

I know i will have to remove the rear shockers and springs, but how do i get the ball joint end nut to remove it: the half shaft is in the way?

I've not done this job but it looks like you have to remove the driveshaft.

Sounds scary but only says to remove the end nut,then remove six bolts from other end, when its free tap the font end of the shaft to release it.

Must put match marks[paint] on drive shaft and side gearshaft

Hold shaft to prevent excessive bending.

I've not done this job but it looks like you have to remove the driveshaft.

Sounds scary but only says to remove the end nut,then remove six bolts from other end, when its free tap the font end of the shaft to release it.

Must put match marks[paint] on drive shaft and side gearshaft

Hold shaft to prevent excessive bending.

Hi Royt,

I dont understand mate. Which end nut and 6 other nuts do you mean?

What are you calling the drive shafts and side gearshafts?

Those are more or less the removal instructions from the w/shop manual.

I think side gear is something lost in translation.

It boils down to :

Remove the wheel etc. to expose the hub etc.

Paint matchmarks on the driveshaft where it joins the flange at the diff.

Remove six bolts and two washers here and disconnect it.

Remove the large nut at the wheel end of the shaft, tap the shaft back to release it[soft face hammer]

Support the shaft inboard end to prevent excessive bending of the outboard joint.

Beware not to damage seals and boots.

You may have to remove the rings holding up the tailpipe and support it with wire.NOTE:

The fixing bolts are not all the same, the two bolts with a ridge on must be directly opposite to each other when fitted.

torque 850 kg-cm/61ft-lb/83n-m

Torque for large nut 3,500 kg-cm/253 ft-lb/343 N-m

Hope all this makes sense

• 8 months later...

Well its now 8 months later and I cannot put this job off any longer. The upper rear wishbones have to be replaced because the ball joints are shot.

Im going to replace the rear discs and pads at the same time and the front bush on the Rear Axle Arm Carrier.

If you have done this job Id really appreciate any tips; espaecially the upper rear wishbone.