Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello,

what would be alternative tyre size for LS400, year 1998.

I think I have now 225/60 R16 tyres, but I will be buying a winter tyres quite soon and that size is really expensive.

Do you think that 215/55 R16 is too small size for the car?

Or howabout 225/55 R16?

There is a lot of difference with price, for instance 225/55 R16 is about 20e cheaper per tyre than 60 one.

215/55 R16 would be the best bet price wice, but is that ok size?

Or maybe 215/65 r16?

No idea about alternative tyre sizes but I purchased my standard size (225/60/16) Vredsteins last year for just under £90 per tyre (fitting and VAT included) and they have been very good tyres in winter and now. I don't know enough about tyres size changes but I wouldn't want to mess with - tyres, brakes and a few other essentials like that.

You have to consider that the LS400 weighs around two tonnes and has over 250 BHP and the only thing between the car and the road is a few square inches of rubber at each corner.

Reducing the width from 225 to 215 means 10mm less of that area along the tyre contact area.

Going from a 60 series to a 55 series would not make much of a difference to performance or handling and little if no difference to the rolling radius which can affect the speedo reading.

Tyres are a safety feature of any car so buy the best you can, price does not factor into safety.

The problem with tyres is that more rare the size is, the more expensive is the tyre.

So sometimes changing the tyre size a little bit larger for instance will actually drop the price.

For instance I had an S40 Volvo with tyre size 195-55-r15 and if I would buy 205-50-r15 tyre the price would be cheaper and grip at least the same.

But for instance 215-65-R16 tyre (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R) is 130e per tyre and 225-60-R16 with same brand is 187e per tyre, so the price difference is not minimal.

Also I am looking for Nordic type Winter tyres, so there are not so much options available (size-brand wise)

But I have to see what is the best option for this.

Hello,

what would be alternative tyre size for LS400, year 1998.

I think I have now 225/60 R16 tyres, but I will be buying a winter tyres quite soon and that size is really expensive.

Do you think that 215/55 R16 is too small size for the car?

Or howabout 225/55 R16?

There is a lot of difference with price, for instance 225/55 R16 is about 20e cheaper per tyre than 60 one.

215/55 R16 would be the best bet price wice, but is that ok size?

Or maybe 215/65 r16?

hi I have 215/60/16s on my winter wheels, it is better to go narrower than wider with winter tyres as you get better traction in the snow. I would say 215/55/16s would be fine but choose your winter tyres carefully as some are much better than others.

Hi, yes for winter slightly narrover tyres is ok, specially for the snow. Based on tyre calculator, if the stock tyre is 225/60-R16, then 215/55R16 tyre is 5% too fast (too much), better choice would be 215/65R16 that is 1.4% too slow, so more closer to original tyre.

IF that 215/65R16 actually fits in the car, it should tough, then that would be the best option.

Just thinking aloud here ...................... might non-standard and recommended tyre sizes compromise your insurance ?

Malc

No problems in insurance, since the car will be in Finland when I buy those winter tyres, and insurance in Finland is about 100x better system than in UK or Ireland. In Finland the car is insured (not the driver) and that is it, only problems with tyres might be in NCT/MOT test, but not with so small size change.

So if in Finland you own Ferrari Enzo, then any person with your permisson can drive the car (that has driving license), yes even that 18 years old lad next door that got his driving license yesterday and insurance will cover if something happens.

• 1 month later...

Eventually I went and bought Bridgestone Ws70 tires, price was 607e work included in Northern Sweden, about 150e less than in Northern Finland (where I live).

The size of the tires is the correct one: 225-60-r16

306878_10150303740338914_602713913_7861844_5907709_n.jpg

Good tyre all the way and Ls400 is now even more quiet than before.

Let see how the tyres work the winter, when it might be -30 degrees and 1 meter of snow :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links