Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Mpg Are You Getting In An Is220D Se-L?

Hi all

Just wondering what your MPG is?! My 56 plate IS220d SE-L took £97 to fill and I got 10 days out of it so I have become accutely aware of my MPG. I'm getting around 30MPG.

Could you kindly tell me if this is normal? A neighbour has purchased same model and advised me that he had his re-mapped (I think this was the phrase) and as a result has gotten a better MPG since...thoughts?

50% of topics here are about consumption

And what...? Simple, quick to answer question. Just wondering what peoples averages are.

PS, I loved the post on driving to get the best MPG however, I am not 'into' cars as such and alot of it doesnt make sense. The main principle I get and I shall apply those points. I have been conscious of my driving and feel I am not getting the best out of it so will certainly educate myself better! Thank you

As Tango says, so glad I have a petrol IS250.

MPG figures will fluctuate according to many factors though.

On my IS250 short commutes I get low 30's MPG, that will rise to mid 30's MPG for longer runs and any decent motorway mileage it will be nearer 40 MPG.

Thanks.

50% of topics here are about consumption

And what...? Simple, quick to answer question. Just wondering what peoples averages are.

I had my 220D for almost 120,000 miles and the average would be about 36 mpg overall.

I now have a IS250C SE-L petrol V6 Auto and if I'm careful I can get 33 mpg. What with the fact that diesel is now more expensive than petrol I'd say my motoring costs about the same but the engine and gearbox on the V6 is super slick.

1 UK Gallon = 4.54 liters

At 135.9 a litre this mean that 1 gallon of diesel now costs £6.169 (depending on which garage you use!!)

On average my 2007 is220d is returning between 31-34 miles per gallon.

I very rarely use a motorway so most of my driving is start-stop - I dont often move out of third gear and consider myself to be a careful driver.

I have my car serviced at Lexus every 12 months as I only do about 7000 mile a year

I reset the Average MPG at last service (10k miles ago). The reading is 41.9mpg. For me it is not about motorway driving. The most efficient way to drive is in fifth between 45mph & 55mph. You can get well into the 50s mpg at this speed/gear combination. From the post about efficient driving, the point I agree with most is putting the car in neutral when coming up to a red light or slowing down in general.

Currently, mileage is 110,000 on 2007 is220D. Full Lexus service history (7 stamps in book).

Back and forth to work and short runs I'm getting on average 40-43 mpg.

On a decent run I get 54 mpg using 5th at about 70/74 mph. (Using cruise)

My old petrol Lexus was nowhere even close to that.

I am getting about 8 - 8.2 liter/100 (35Mpg) in the city with normal driving (summertime with less traffic jams and warm weather).

To summarise. IS220D fuel economy is never good enough to make up for having to drive a diesel.

Comparatively the IS220D has limited rev range, lower power, pointless high torque, increased noise/vibration, uses dearer fuel and has a gearbox which is not outstandingly good. To be fair, the latest incarnation despite lower power output drives considerably better.

The Lexus is no worse than most diesels; but complexity needed to keep emissions within increasingly stringent limits has worsened both basic fuel economy and importantly, the reliability/consistency of fuel economy. It also seems a strange idea to buy an expensive car with the aim of economy. A Toyota Avensis diesel seems a more appropriate package.

Ultimate economy depends on all the emission-control components continuing to work properly (this forum indicates that is not altogether likely for the IS220D) and how you drive - particularly modifying driving to take into account the different characteristics of the engine. These two last points largely explain the huge variation in mpg actually achieved.

hi i have a 2008 model and cannot get over 30mpg no matter how i drive prevoiusly had audi a4 and 56mpg were am i going wrong love the car hate the fuel bill just had new bottom engine ecr valve the lot can you help please

46-48 mpg over the last week.

Col. <[;o)

Hi all

Just wondering what your MPG is?! My 56 plate IS220d SE-L took £97 to fill and I got 10 days out of it so I have become accutely aware of my MPG. I'm getting around 30MPG.

Could you kindly tell me if this is normal? A neighbour has purchased same model and advised me that he had his re-mapped (I think this was the phrase) and as a result has gotten a better MPG since...thoughts?

Hi all

'06 IS220d SE-L — Average fill up at Shell garage costs about £62 but I never let my vehicles run below the petrol light. Driving style permitting my average range sits between 33-38mpg

Because I am a regular city driver, I maintain my car religiously:

- Air filter change annually

- Oil flush every 6K

- EGR clean annually

- Tyre pressure every month

As a result, this has effectively increased my MPG to sit between 37-41mpg. I occasionally use a fuel additive, every 6 months or so, which I have also noted to be a slight improvement to my MPG.

All that, with no change to how I drive.

• 6 years later...

I love necro posting !!!!!

Is220d fuel econemy is great compared similar rivals diesel equivalents....

It is however faster than them quieter, bwtter equipped easier to fix and hits the twisties just as good as any in its league but for getting good mpg it does  it the job as well, i don't see this as a failure really, ever drive the the 320 and a4 2.0tdi it's up against ? there boring and gutless the lexus does the job better the m sport and sline models are a bit prettier to look at perhaps.

You can't tell it's a diesel from I side when the engine running and if you ditch the egr dpf and mapped it above 200bhp it because a fantastic car and your not improves it also becomes alot more reliable...

Never understood the hate....

And why are people surprised you can get good mpg from the 250 it's a 200bhp v6 that's very little power from a v6 so its not a very thirsty car and it's reliable as well as its under very little strain it's also far too underpowered for its weight...

However a lovely reliable v6 that's not thirsty and an rival crushing diesel I reckon lexus nailed it with there is range of the period look at the original is200 everyone slaughtered it for being too heavy and underpowered blah blah but in the end they must of sold a good few because I see then everywhere and i drive a few and apart from being underpowered it's a bloody good car just like the 2nd generation whatever one you chose,

Diesel makes more sense to me but i use it for shopping and ferrying my kids about in comfort and safety which it does perfectly much more so than the st220 I used as my family car before...

I have my track n off roading toys and a megane rs for me time, 

The is220d is a cracking car and i think lexus found a nice niche in the market for it, if it wasn't for hybrids I think you'll find lexus would of made another diesel..

I never looked at an is350 before I think I might do that right now 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Richarda81 said:

I love necro posting !!!!!o that right now 

Indeed..

Is220d fuel econemy is great compared similar rivals diesel equivalents....

Actually... it is about the same.

It is however faster than them quieter, bwtter equipped easier to fix and hits the twisties just as good as any in its league but for getting good mpg it does  it the job as well, i don't see this as a failure really, ever drive the the 320 and a4 2.0tdi it's up against ?

Not really, it is just as fast as similar cars... had better standard options then most, but at the same time had no Auto gearbox.. which is total bonkers. BMW certainly have better feedback and more precise steering... but that is all pointless - diesel cars never intended to compete on driving dynamics.. 

ditch the egr dpf and mapped it above 200bhp it because a fantastic car

And.. illegal, immoral, polluting and poisoning all around you.. 

250 it's a 200bhp v6 that's very little power from a v6

That is just not correct, 4GR-FSE "specific output" for naturally aspirated engine is above average (~85hp/L) very few production cars have higher output from atmospheric engines, with exception of epic Honda S2000, you would only start seeing figures like 100hp+ in like Ferarris or Lamborginis and that is in 5-6L engines, not 2.5L. Most of N/A petrol engines sits around 70hp/L... the engine design i.e. V6 or L6, or L4 or H4 makes very little difference, so I don't understand obsession or even mentioning of V6. 200+ hp from 2.5L of displacement is high figure any way you look at it, most of the cars at that or certainly higher figures going to be turbocharged.

Overall, IS220d not suppose to be terrible car, but Lexus set it for failure.. first of all it was unreliable (and not only DPF/ERG).. the head gaskets were too weak for 177hp, they only fixed that with IS200d in 2010 by de-tuning it to 150hp. But damage was already done... They made no automatic, which is over half of premium/diesel cars market. If they would have released IS200d with AT/MT option from beginning it would have been cracking car. 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, Richarda81 said:

You can't tell it's a diesel from I side when the engine running

I wasn't sure before, but now I am positive there is something not quite right if you believe this to be true....

The thing sounds like a bloody tractor from the outside :smile:  The only saving grace is that it isn't too bad when you're in it, but it still doesn't sound like anything other than a diesel.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I wasn't sure before, but now I am positive there is something not quite right if you believe this to be true....

The thing sounds like a bloody tractor from the outside :smile:  The only saving grace is that it isn't too bad when your in it, but it still doesn't sound like anything other than a diesel.

I am even being accused of IS250 being diesel because of injector sounds... yet to see the diesel car which doesn't sound bit like tractor. And indeed Lexus did good job on soundproofing the cabin from the engine.

That is just not correct, 4GR-FSE "specific output" for naturally aspirated engine is above average (~85hp/L) very few production cars have higher output from atmospheric engines,

Yep, same generation isf is about same. Rcf not much more.

Shame it didn't have port and direct injection.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk