Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Some People Will Nick Anything!

gt1947

Noticed today that three of my shiny new tyre valve metal dust caps had disappeared!

I guess the tea leaf was disturbed before they got the last one off. Hardly the crime of the century as they are readily available for around £3 on eBay, but I guess I'll just replace them with cheap plastic ones.

Anyone want to buy just one genuine Lexus metal tyre valve dust cap?

Noticed today that three of my shiny new tyre valve metal dust caps had disappeared!

I guess the tea leaf was disturbed before they got the last one off. Hardly the crime of the century as they are readily available for around £3 on ebay, but I guess I'll just replace them with cheap plastic ones.

Stick them on with superglue, it means you'll never be able to check your tyre pressures for the life of the tyres, and you'll run the risk of a serious accident, but you'll have the satisfaction of keeping your valve caps! :lol:

We used to live on a bendy country road so we put a mirror on the verge, someone even had that away, and it was only an old dressing table mirror!

The same happened to me on my first Merc, but I was teaching at the time and so at least it's sort of understandable with schoolkids. Fortunately, the culprit was caught and I got the caps back, however my next purchase was a set of cheap plastic ones. :) I no longer teach so I haven't done the same yet but am now rethinking this!

Forgive me for asking but what are tyre valve dust caps????? :whistling:

I also think I've come across a solution for the dreaded supermarket shopping trolley ding problem. As we know magnetic north and south poles attract and the same poles repel so I am thinking of making my car say a north pole and then the shopping trolleys also north poles ( you could use south poles if you wish for both, it's a personal choice).

Ok so now if the errant abandoned shopping trolley decides to make the down hill dash towards my car (which as always is parked at the extremity of the car park away from other cars) it will be repelled by my car and maybe into someone elses who hasn't come up with the same cunning plan or has unfortunately chose the wrong magnetic pole for their car therefore attracting the shopping trolley towards it.

Obviously there will have to be set standards to ensure all shopping trolleys and cars are the same magnetic pole to repel each other and we would need to have detectors at the car park entrance warning drivers if their polarity is wrong and will therefore attract trolleys to their car (Health and Safety requirement).

The EU will of course also be involved to issue a BS EN specification.

Another possible advantage is cars on the road with the same polarity will also repel so this should cut down the number of vehicle collisions leading to cheaper insurance costs!

I have already developed the equipment for this project and presently looking for sponsorship (read money) to move things on.

Please contact me via my website

www.dontdingmycar-with that shoppingtrolley.com

Well I had my grill broken off my horn cut to stop the alarm goin off. My bonnet release wire cut my bonnet opened my engine cover ripped off. So did my air filter then my ignition coils stolen with the conectors cut off.I have replaced the wires and coil but the car still won't start. Am spook ******. ANC wen it does it shakes real bad and then cuts off

I have tired everything and now am close to scraping it.

Heeeeellp

I also think I've come across a solution for the dreaded supermarket shopping trolley ding problem. As we know magnetic north and south poles attract and the same poles repel so I am thinking of making my car say a north pole and then the shopping trolleys also north poles ( you could use south poles if you wish for both, it's a personal choice).

Ok so now if the errant abandoned shopping trolley decides to make the down hill dash towards my car (which as always is parked at the extremity of the car park away from other cars) it will be repelled by my car and maybe into someone elses who hasn't come up with the same cunning plan or has unfortunately chose the wrong magnetic pole for their car therefore attracting the shopping trolley towards it.

Obviously there will have to be set standards to ensure all shopping trolleys and cars are the same magnetic pole to repel each other and we would need to have detectors at the car park entrance warning drivers if their polarity is wrong and will therefore attract trolleys to their car (Health and Safety requirement).

Another possible advantage is cars on the road with the same polarity will also repel so this should cut down the number of vehicle collisions leading to cheaper insurance costs!

I have already developed the equipment for this project and presently looking for sponsorship (read money) to move things on.

Had a look at your website and have made a substantial donation via your own PalPay link. My main concern re your magnet idea is that if a trolley rolled down hill at speed in a crowded carpark the reaction of opposite poles may just turn the carpark into one enormous pinball table! :blink:

Those little black plastic (or metal if you have a posh car) things that screw onto your tyre valves, presumably to stop dust getting into the valve.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=dust+caps&x=0&y=0&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

A spot of grease on the valve thread to stop corrosion between the two different metals then nip the dust cap up with a 10mm spanner stops all the above problems except the errant shopping trolleys but home shopping delivery will cure that as well.

I had a passat a few years back, and it had valve caps with the centre, spring loaded, so you could inflate the tyre without removing the cap, and every car i have had since, i've bought the caps, they are on the IS too.

You can glue these to the valve, knowing that you can still inflate the tyre without removing them, and they dont stand out too much as they are black plastic.

• 1 month later...

Two more villains are off the streets .....

When my tyre valve caps disappeared a few weeks ago, we suspected a couple of young boys who had been hanging around outside.

Yesterday my neighbour caught them nicking caps off another car. He knew where they lived, so went round and had a quiet word with their dad.

This afternoon I answered a knock at the door and two women with a rather sheepish looking pair of kids about ten years old were there. The woman said, my son and his his friend have something to say to you.

Looking rather red and heads hanging down, they said 'we are sorry we stole your tyre valve caps and we promise we won't do it ever again.' Then they returned two chrome caps to me.

I must admit I was a bit speechless at first, but I just said 'well as long as it won't happen again, we'll say no more about it.' I thanked their mothers who informed me that I would not be seeing them on the streets again for a while as they were well and truly grounded!

I can sleep safely in my bed tonight knowing two more villains are off the streets!

• 4 weeks later...

Some Magpie had away with my CT200 valve dust caps too.

I bought a set from Halfords that can only be removed with a special key. Without the key, the body of the cap just spins round.

Nice-looking chrome too.

There was another set that had the hex spanner body and locked on with a grub screw. I didn't get these because I suspect that someone could wrench them off with a spanner and trash the valve in the process.

I just hope that the Magpie is enjoying having Lexus valve dust caps on his push-bike.

Welcome to the clubs! both the LOC and the stolen valve cap victims club!

Apply a generous amount of super glue to them and then see who's attached to them in the morning! :whistling:

What about the models with the tyre pressure monitoring system can those valve caps also be easily removed as I hear they are expensive to replace?

:winky: :hehe::lol: :lol: :lol: Oh that cheered me up this morning ;)

Andy

Welcome to the clubs! both the LOC and the stolen valve cap victims club!

Apply a generous amount of super glue to them and then see who's attached to them in the morning! :whistling:

What about the models with the tyre pressure monitoring system can those valve caps also be easily removed as I hear they are expensive to replace?

the valvecaps on cars with the tyre pressure monitoring system have the same caps as any other car, what i would advise is that any other metal cap fitted other than a Lexus Original caps is that you apply a small amount of grease or Vaseline to the threads, this will stop them from welding themselves on, if this happens especially if you do have tyre monitors can become very expensive.

I guess the tea leaf was disturbed before they got the last one off. Hardly the crime of the century as they are readily available for around £3 on ebay, but I guess I'll just replace them with cheap plastic ones.

I have had 3 sets nicked so far. Since the last time, I do them up with a small spanner just too tight to undo with the fingers, and keep the spanner in the car together with the locking-wheelnut key. Several times since I have noticed them suddenly becoming nice and shiny where the **seholes have had a go & failed.

touch wood, I have not had my dust caps 'lifted' on my CT....must be the local kids have now grown up out of this phase......

Within a few days of my ex-IS they were gone, I got some replacements off eBay and fell into the trap of them becoming welded onto the valves......stuck until the tyres needed changing.........not good!

Question : Does the CT200h have pressure monitors or not? spec says so but I can't find anything in the manual? Mine is the SE-L Premier........

• 2 months later...

I had one of these nicked as well when the car was only a month old. Unfortunately, my mrs was forced off the road by a fast oncoming car (overtaking on double solid lines) and kerbed both nearside wheels badly. We took it to our local tyre dealer to check the tracking which is usually £25 but they said they were unable to help as the car was so new they did not have the info on their computer for the four wheel laser alignment. Took it to our local Lexus stealer where the tracking check cost a whopping £79.95! It did not require adjustment and he said he had reduced the price for us! What?

Anyway, back to the missing dust cap. Next time I washed the car I noticed they had fitted one, so that was why the tracking was so expensive!

• 2 weeks later...

Question : Does the CT200h have pressure monitors or not? spec says so but I can't find anything in the manual? Mine is the SE-L Premier........

I don’t know much about the CT 200, but the valve stems for the pressure monitor valves are metal, were normal valve stems are rubber.

I had one of these nicked as well when the car was only a month old. Unfortunately, my mrs was forced off the road by a fast oncoming car (overtaking on double solid lines) and kerbed both nearside wheels badly. We took it to our local tyre dealer to check the tracking which is usually £25 but they said they were unable to help as the car was so new they did not have the info on their computer for the four wheel laser alignment. Took it to our local Lexus stealer where the tracking check cost a whopping £79.95! It did not require adjustment and he said he had reduced the price for us! What?

Anyway, back to the missing dust cap. Next time I washed the car I noticed they had fitted one, so that was why the tracking was so expensive!

It's not the fault of Lexus that the Gold used to plate their valve caps has risen so much! :whistling:

not car related but i had a little party on weds evening, just me my gf, her cousin and brother then my gf's mate came round and the bitch robbed us! We had some money on the side in the bedroom and she took it. We know it was her and have accused her as well but it hasnt got us anywhere. For the sake of the £40 that she took although its a fair bit of money we dont see the point in taking it any further