Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Compression In Valves

I am jus wondering what the normal compression should be in each valve.

My engine was broken into and my ignition coils were stolen with the sockets.

I got the replaced but the car still misfiring and shakin. It won't drive I am not sure if it's timing valve. I really need help. As I dnt wanna loose money. I have checked the wiring. Now the car will crunk but it won't start.

It is how ever low on petrol

Helpp

That's a first for me, having parts being stolen off the engine!

As above were the coils new? Also who ever stole the original coils probably wouldn't have been careful and gentle removing the electrical connectors or ripping the coils out so check all the connectors,wiring and look for damaged spark plug tops.

Have you also checked for any other damage to the wiring or possibly other stolen parts?

I wouldn't be concerned about whether you have cylinder compression as this would not occur from stealing the coils unless they have also stolen your head gasket!! So concentrate on the above.

I had a mechanic check the wiring. And still no change. And it's loosin compression in the valves. I dnt think this has any thi g to do with the coils as yu have to take them out to check compression.

Thanks guys. And yh I did buy used coils. I just dnt want to buy new ones and end in same problem. I had them checked and there was no problem. Should I replace the engine ?

I had a mechanic check the wiring. And still no change. And it's loosin compression in the valves. I dnt think this has any thi g to do with the coils as yu have to take them out to check compression.

Thanks guys. And yh I did buy used coils. I just dnt want to buy new ones and end in same problem. I had them checked and there was no problem. Should I replace the engine ?

First check with your insurance company to see if theft of essential parts of the car is covered. If not and unless your thieves spent time wrecking other bits, loss of compression will have nothing to do with the coils and is probably a red-herring. If the engine ran well before the coil-theft it is almost impossible for compression to now be an issue unless the thieves also damaged the cambelt or otherwise somehow changed its timing position which could cause damage to the valves. If they just took the coils, this is really very unlikely.

The only certain way of properly checking your new coils is for them to be tried on another IS200. NO OTHER TYPE OF TEST IS GOOD ENOUGH. Bearing in mind the main reason for 2nd-hand coils to be available is that they are faulty, it is vital that they are genuinely proved to be good coils. Also it may be time to invest in new plugs of the exact correct type to eliminate these. Also check that none of the pins in the connectors are bent and don't make contact anymore. Check none of your fuses is blown.

It would also be a good idea to check that none of the sensors and particularly the Lambda sensor got smashed during the theft - these could make the engine run very badly or fail to start.

Finally, unless the thieves either ran the engine and revved it until it died before taking the coils, or shifted the cambelt on its cogs until the pistons could clash with the valves, there will be no reason to get another engine.