Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Sport Rattling

el_bandido

Ok chaps,

I need a bit of help here, when going over bumps or rough road surfaces, I'm getting a lot of clattering and rattling sounds from under the car. It seems to be present when the drivers side of the car is going over bumps, more than anything else. I've had the drivers side wheels off and had a look, can't see anything obviously broken or loose. There is a tiny bit of play in the wheel bearings, but nothing that could cause it to rattle.

The noise is a sort of metallic clattering sound whenever I go over a bump. The car seems to be handling fine, I've not had it that long but it's a W plate that's done well over 100k miles. My first thought is a new set of bushes, but if anyone else has had a similar problem, please enlighten me!

jack it up and bang the wheel.....you'll hear the noise...now put your hand through the spokes and hold the backing plate now bang the wheel....the noise will prob be gone....you can bend it around till it doesnt make the noise no more..

already tried that, they are making a bit of a noise, bent them round before which seemed to solve the problem for all of about 5 minutes. They are rusted to ****** and a bit wobbly tbh, would it be worth sourcing a replacement?

Haven't had it apart yet, will take a look at the rears at the weekend. I'm fitting angel eyes to it anyway so I might as well sort the brake guard at the front and check the springs at the rear.

I had exactly the same problem. When going over bumps put your foot lightly on the brake pedal, if the rattling stops it is either your brake caliper slide pins which are worn and need replaced, easy DIY job and the parts are about £60 from a dealer. (There is a walkthrough guide on here somewhere, the search box will find it easy). Move the caliper with your hand and if it is a bit rattly loose then that's the culprit.

If it seems ok then it could be your brake pads rattling, to fix this all you need to do is bend out the spring clips that hold the pads in place to just hold then that little bit tighter, another easy job that only takes a few minutes.

Hope this helps!

Why are you going to buy new calipers?

Read my previous post. It could be the pads that are rattling and all that needs to be done is adjust the clips to hold the pad in tighter. That will cost you nothing.

If it's not that then it's the slide pins.

Read this. It will show you what is involved.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=51212&hl=

• 3 weeks later...

right, after much faffing about with the front brakes, I finally (stupidly) realised that the rear brake pad clips are missing on the drivers side caliper. Anyone got a spare set?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links