Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Diy Induction Kit (Pic Heavy!)

So I finally had all the parts, the time to do it and the weather behaved itself today so I thought I'd crack on with my induction kit.

I took the advice of most people, and just bought all the parts myself and decided to make my own, I am after all supposed to be an engineer :)

I'll put pictures of the finished article in my project thread as well, but I didn't want to clog it up with millions of pictures.

Terminology:

ID = Inner Diameter

OD = Outer Diameter

TB = Throttle Body

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

IAT = Intake Air Temperature

So first a quick rundown of the parts I used...

1 x 63mm ID 90* Elbow

1 x 63mm ID 45* Elbow

1 x 76-63mm Straight Reducer

6 x 63-80mm ID Hose Clamps

1 x 1m 63mm OD Aluminium Tube

1 x Apexi Air Filter w/76mm Adapter Flange

I haven't gone into huge detail with which exact bolts to undo etc. Because it's pretty easy to work out :)

First things first, here's how my engine bay started off before the install...

DSC00405.jpg

And then with the OEM air box and scoop removed, you'll also notice the oil catch can and some of my blue cabling I fitted last week in preparation for this...

DSC00480.jpg

First things first, I measure up how much aluminium tube I would need to get across the engine, didn't have to be super accurate as you can lose or gain over an inch depending how far in you insert it into the silicone bends.

Then time for some cutting...

DSC00477.jpg

With the length now roughly right I test fitted the 90* and 45* for positioning...

DSC00484.jpg

Length-wise it was spot on, but it sat a little high for my liking at the TB end which meant it sloped down slightly...

DSC00486.jpg

So I chopped about an inch off the lower half of the 90* bend to drop it down level (you can see in the picture below one length is now shorted than the other).

Once that was sorted I drilled an 18mm hole in the front face of the 90* bend, should have been 19.5 but I was worried it would be oversized due to not drilling cleanly which turned out to be a good thing!

DSC00487.jpg

This was so I could use the proper sealing grommet from the air box to refit the IAT sensor properly and not have to glue it in with silicone.

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

I then had to extend the IAT sensor wires about 3 inches so they would reach the sensor in its new position...

DSC00491.jpg

Once that part was sorted I stuck the air filter down behind the headlight where I wanted it, and measured from the end of the reducer on the filter, to the 45* bend and then added an inch either end. Another session on the saw and I ended up with this...

DSC00495.jpg

And an overall shot at the end...(with my newly fitted radiator panel too:))

DSC00494.jpg

It's still not properly fastened down, but because of where I routed it, it's just resting on the power steering lines at the moment which it supporting the filter end so it will be fine for now until I can find a good way of securing it.

I will also now start my planning for an engine cover, which will probably start off as an offcut of 1.5mm aluminium I have laying around, and I will then cover it in carbon cloth and lacquer it.

great write up ive been thinking about doing a custom one myself this will give me a good base thanks man. My plan is to make it in such a way where i can keep the engine cover on so it hides all of the wiring. in your pictures where it was slanted over the engine id probably keep that to pull it off.

Yeah,nice write up lad. I'd say there are plenty of people who want to do this,including me, but weren't sure about all the required tubing and connectors. Good tip on the IAT sensor

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, great post.

Have you notices a big difference in terms of noise?

Under normal driving you get a bit more growl througout the rev range, really enhances the sound of the straight 6 without being intrusive.

And when you floor it, you get a noticable increase in noise which sounds very aggressive B)

Would be interesting to see before and after power figures

Honestly, I wouldn't expect it to be much at all.

I have however, noticed approx 5mpg inrease in fuel economy (when driven sensibly) although the trouble is the noise encourages you to floor it everywhere. :whistling:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and do a step by step guide. Have been thinking about getting one for a while but they are bit expensive so may give this a go. What do you think of the apexi air filter? Any good?

A Japanese tuning company did a group test with a load of filters like K&N, HKS, Apexi etc., they were testing for airflow and particle filtration. And the Apexi came out on top in both tests so they are pretty good :)

• 2 months later...

• 4 months later...

This is an awsome DIY!! What did you do with the vacuum line?

I basically did this but am having idle and rev hunting issues but noticed that you didn't connect your vacuum line where as I did.. Thought maybe this could be the issue?

I basically did this but am having idle and rev hunting issues but noticed that you didn't connect your vacuum line where as I did.. Thought maybe this could be the issue?

I take it you mean the crank case breather?

That's just a vent, not a vacuum line. Mine runs into a catch can, but you can just put a small filter on instead which is cheaper and easier. But it won't make any difference to how the engine runs.

Hi there, wicked post mate, where is the best place to buy the bits from? and what tubes and cables did u change to blue? and where can i buy them? also where did u buy ur oil cach can?

Thanks so much.

Lewis

Everything I made my induction kit from was bought from eBay. The Apexi filter is the only hard bit to find, as a lot of them are either in Japan, and UK stock can be expensive sometimes (up to £70, I paid £25 for mine) so just keep an eye out.

The cables are all still OEM underneath, but I've put some blue 'split conduit' on them. It's just slides on over the top and gives the look without re-wiring your whole engine bay! :)

And again, the catch can was bought from eBay too.

Everything I made my induction kit from was bought from eBay. The Apexi filter is the only hard bit to find, as a lot of them are either in Japan, and UK stock can be expensive sometimes (up to £70, I paid £25 for mine) so just keep an eye out.

The cables are all still OEM underneath, but I've put some blue 'split conduit' on them. It's just slides on over the top and gives the look without re-wiring your whole engine bay! :)

Thats wicked mate thanks.

Just orderd all the parts needed, total cost £135 inc delivery. £65 was the cheepest i could find for the filter. Well chuffed. ill post some pics and feedback asap of all the upgrades.

Thanks again mate.

Lewis

Hi mate, ive been looking at oil catch cans and ive seen a few different types, ive seen loads of 0.5l with filter and a few that are 2l. Is there much need for a bigger one? and is it best to have a filter?

Thanks again.

Lewis

are you thinking of wrapping the tube, as it will absorb heat.

it would be much more effective, even better than the OEM filter and induction if you box and feed cold air to the filter, hot air reduces engine efficiency

I take it you mean the crank case breather?

That's just a vent, not a vacuum line. Mine runs into a catch can, but you can just put a small filter on instead which is cheaper and easier. But it won't make any difference to how the engine runs.

the crankcase breather needs to be connected to vacume to draw out the heavy vapour, even if you are using a catch can (which is pretty pointless on a car like this) then the catch can needs connecting to the induction

just fitting a button filter is a big no no, it would become filled with flammable oil vapour and can cause a fire

Just as a side note, i witnessed a test a few years ago now where the standard induction was compared to some aftermarket filter set ups, the OEM set up flowed the same, if not better than some of the aftermarket filter set ups, the engine performed better in all but high RPM / high speed

however asthetically, they do look better

induction.jpg

Thats mine complete with engine cover. noticable changes except for more noise at 4250 revs upwards. no loss or gain of power or mpg figures. My IAT sensor is fitted in the same place as the pictures but i pulled the wiring out of the loom a little and didnt have to extend it at all.

Hi everyone,

I have started to do my install of the induction kit and haven't yet got a oil catch can or anything, what can I do with this pipe? Everything is done apart from the black tube being connected back?? Can i still use this at the mo or shall i put the standard filter back on for now???????? Any help please would realy help.

Thanks

Lewis.

As you can see from my picture Lewis mine just has a filter on it. The pipe is a breather/vent pipe and as long as its not blocked you will see no ill affects. Mine has been the way it is for about 12 months now. It should be attached to the intake system just to actually "pull" the vapour out of the block. Like i said mine has never showed any ill effects and as its the highest point on the engine no oil comes out anyway. I,m not saying its correct (just before the purist jump on me ) but its not wrong either. The pipe is ment to allow the engine to breathe as long as its not blocked you wont have any ill effects.