Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fitting Aftermarket Sereo To My 2001 Is200 Sport

Hi All. I have been reading through the threads about changing the Lexus stereo units for an aftermarket one. I have bought a facia kit but confused about the amplifier bypass cable. Some say you need it for this model of car and others say you don't. I suppose I should look behind the glove box for an amplifier? And can anyone who has done it advise me please the method for the panel removal on the dash cause I don't want to split the plastic etc.accidently!

Thanks.

Hi All. I have been reading through the threads about changing the Lexus stereo units for an aftermarket one. I have bought a facia kit but confused about the amplifier bypass cable. Some say you need it for this model of car and others say you don't. I suppose I should look behind the glove box for an amplifier? And can anyone who has done it advise me please the method for the panel removal on the dash cause I don't want to split the plastic etc.accidently!

just doen all this over the week end

were u have ur heater vent on top you have a tray some model have the sat nav there instead

with ur hands pull the tray of its a bit hard but it will come of then u will c 2 10 mm bolts 1 on the right and 1 on the left un bolt them then underneath the stereo u have the trc and snow button put ur hands underneath that and pull it, it is held with clips once that is off there will b 2 10 mm bolts again 1 on the left and 1 on the right un bolt them and there u have it the unit will come out

ps sorry the instructions i have provided u are not detailed but im sure they will help if u need any more help u can email me or ring me cheers

Hi thanks for replying. I have just got it out after following what you said and no problem. Another thing is the AMP? I have been told it is located at the back of the glove box. I pulled it out and down and found the blower control unit, pollen filter and on the far left what I presume is the ECU? If I knew what it looked like it would be a lot easier. I see you have the is200 . Is it the sport or SE you have? I still have to buy the ISO AMP bypass cable, but others say that my car hasn't got an AMP and don't need to bypass. Can you advise please!

just doen all this over the week end

were u have ur heater vent on top you have a tray some model have the sat nav there instead

with ur hands pull the tray of its a bit hard but it will come of then u will c 2 10 mm bolts 1 on the right and 1 on the left un bolt them then underneath the stereo u have the trc and snow button put ur hands underneath that and pull it, it is held with clips once that is off there will b 2 10 mm bolts again 1 on the left and 1 on the right un bolt them and there u have it the unit will come out

ps sorry the instructions i have provided u are not detailed but im sure they will help if u need any more help u can email me or ring me cheers

i see you have the sport and yes you have an amp and if you had the se..you'd have an amp

as for the amp the thing you think is an ecu is the amp.....the cars ecu is under the bonnet....if you look in the work shop theirs plenty of guides how to fit the cable.......

the amp.....

AmplocationIS200SESport.jpg

Cheers for the info and the photo to confirm. I thought it was the amp but a someone said it was the ECU. Obviously the bloke knows everything about nothing! Staying well clear. I'm fitting a JVC HU so shouldn't have aby problems I hope! You've been a big help on this one.

i see you have the sport and yes you have an amp and if you had the se..you'd have an amp

as for the amp the thing you think is an ecu is the amp.....the cars ecu is under the bonnet....if you look in the work shop theirs plenty of guides how to fit the cable.......

the amp.....

you should have no problems mate just slightly akward getting the plugs out but apart from that its easy...i have a jvc double din fitted to mine..(dvd player)

• 4 weeks later...

ok im fairly handy with car electrics but this has me stumped. i connected the front speakers working perfict but i cant figure out how to wire the stock amp. i connected my radio to the back of the amp (slightly larger plug. and speakers. i then tried the back speakers but noise was sh23t to say the least and i cant figure out the way to connect them from small socket under heater controles,..

Crash and burn. What are you trying to do? As far as i am aware you cannot connect aftermarket head units to the oem amp. The inputs are rated differently which may explain the rubbish sound quality. When changing head units, the only option is to replace the amp and splice into the original loom or use a bypass cable as mentioned in previous posts to bypass the amp completely. The latter I have done similar to ormi and can vouch I works fine if th correct bypass cable is used.

• 1 month later...

hi all, (especially ormi as he has a jvc head unit)

Im an expat living in Australia and have a 2003 is200 platinum - I think its the same as an SE

My CD player conked out a few weeks ago so Ive bought a jvc double din dvd unit - JVC KW-AVX746 from here in Australia. I had to buy the amp bypass lead, Connects2 CT51-LX01 that everyone talks about from the uk as I couldnt find it over here, this hasnt arrived yet.

Im quite happy with the bypassing of the amp but what I am worried about is the connection to the back of the head unit. The head unit has come with a connector plug with 16 wires coming out the back (labelled, ground, electric ariel, steering wheel remote etc + all the speakers)

What I want to know is does the bypass lead go straight into the back of the head unit or do I have to do some splicing of cables and the like? I cant find any pics of this connector on the net

any info greatly recieved

Ads

Im an expat living in Australia and have a 2003 is200 platinum - I think its the same as an SE

My CD player conked out a few weeks ago so Ive bought a jvc double din dvd unit - JVC KW-AVX746 from here in Australia. I had to buy the amp bypass lead, Connects2 CT51-LX01 that everyone talks about from the uk as I couldnt find it over here, this hasnt arrived yet.

Im quite happy with the bypassing of the amp but what I am worried about is the connection to the back of the head unit. The head unit has come with a connector plug with 16 wires coming out the back (labelled, ground, electric ariel, steering wheel remote etc + all the speakers)

What I want to know is does the bypass lead go straight into the back of the head unit or do I have to do some splicing of cables and the like? I cant find any pics of this connector on the net

Ads

Does the lead that came with the head unit not have connector at both ends? The small connector (ISO) plugs into the head unit and the larger connector on the other end plugs into your amp bypass lead.

Ads

Does the lead that came with the head unit not have connector at both ends? The small connector (ISO) plugs into the head unit and the larger connector on the other end plugs into your amp bypass lead.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply. The answer is unfortunately no

ive uploaded pics of the lead that came with the head unit, the connector on the head unit and the connector on the end of the lead.

does that connector look like the one on the ct51-lx01?

cheers

Ads

post-15107-0-83490800-1317888172.jpg

post-15107-0-13260700-1317888184.jpg

post-15107-0-27442100-1317888193.jpg

the amp.....

Hello, im probably being incredibly stupid but how do i get to the wiring on the amp to plug in my iso cable?

That lead isn't the same as the one that came with my Pioneer one. It should still be do-able but you will need to work out which wires go where, cut the connector off one end of your amp bypass lead and join the two together with terminal blocks (or solder if you prefer).

Getting the plugs out of the back of the amp is very fiddly and requires a lot of cursing and swearing but you can get to it without removing the dashboard.

There are two connectors plugged into the amplifer. One of them is simply the other end of the harness that went to your factory stereo (you no longer need this). The other one is the connector for all of the speakers/power etc. Plug your bypass lead into this connector.

That lead isn't the same as the one that came with my Pioneer one. It should still be do-able but you will need to work out which wires go where, cut the connector off one end of your amp bypass lead and join the two together with terminal blocks (or solder if you prefer).

Getting the plugs out of the back of the amp is very fiddly and requires a lot of cursing and swearing but you can get to it without removing the dashboard.

There are two connectors plugged into the amplifer. One of them is simply the other end of the harness that went to your factory stereo (you no longer need this). The other one is the connector for all of the speakers/power etc. Plug your bypass lead into this connector.

so just replace the connection that is joined to the currect stereo with the bypass cable? i managed to get to the back of the amp and seen the 2 connections- need to wait for my headunit to arrive tomorrow to actually fot it

so just replace the connection that is joined to the currect stereo with the bypass cable? i managed to get to the back of the amp and seen the 2 connections- need to wait for my headunit to arrive tomorrow to actually fot it

Pretty much. You'll also be bypassing the amp too as you will be disconnecting the speakers from it and plugging these directly into your bypass cable. The larger of the two connectors is the one you will be connecting it to.

Pretty much. You'll also be bypassing the amp too as you will be disconnecting the speakers from it and plugging these directly into your bypass cable. The larger of the two connectors is the one you will be connecting it to.

ok Does the bypass cable plug into the amp in the slot where the previous stereo plugs into it? (the bigger slot?) and then unplug the speakers from the amp and plug them into the bypass cable?

ok Does the bypass cable plug into the amp in the slot where the previous stereo plugs into it? (the bigger slot?) and then unplug the speakers from the amp and plug them into the bypass cable?

No. You leave the amp completely disconnected. You don't need this anymore as your new head unit has a built in amplifier.

The larger connector you removed from the amp plugs into the bypass lead, the bypass lead then plugs into the ISO lead (or in your case will need joining with terminal blocks), the ISO lead then plugs into your new head unit.

No. You leave the amp completely disconnected. You don't need this anymore as your new head unit has a built in amplifier.

The larger connector you removed from the amp plugs into the bypass lead, the bypass lead then plugs into the ISO lead (or in your case will need joining with terminal blocks), the ISO lead then plugs into your new head unit.

Fitted the unit yesterday, I unplugged the bigger connection from the amp and plugged that into the bypass cable which i plugged into the head unit but the smaller connection is still connected to the amp as there was no where to connect that to. The stereo works and sound from all speakers. Where should the smaller connection from the amp plug into?

Fitted the unit yesterday, I unplugged the bigger connection from the amp and plugged that into the bypass cable which i plugged into the head unit but the smaller connection is still connected to the amp as there was no where to connect that to. The stereo works and sound from all speakers. Where should the smaller connection from the amp plug into?

You're okay to leave the smaller one plugged into the amp. The other end of this lead is the lead that would have been plugged into your factory head unit. Since the factory head unit no longer exists it is not needed. There will be no power to the amp now as it was all suppied by the larger connector which is now plugged into your bypass lead supplying power to your new head unit.

If you really wanted to you could remove the amp and other lead completely but it is a lot of hassle getting it out so I would just leave it where it is.

I have now purchased a 10" sub and amp, would i go about wiring this up as if it was a normal setup (i.e not needing to bypass anything)Im assuming i just run a wire from the Battery to the new amp and connect the rest to the new headunit i installed etc. (basically do i need to worry about the old amp)

I have now purchased a 10" sub and amp, would i go about wiring this up as if it was a normal setup (i.e not needing to bypass anything)Im assuming i just run a wire from the battery to the new amp and connect the rest to the new headunit i installed etc. (basically do i need to worry about the old amp)

No need to worry about the factory amp any more. You have disconnected it so as you have said, just connect it to the Battery and to the subwoofer pre-out on the new head unit. Treat it as you would install a subwoofer on any other aftermarket setup.